NO MULTIPLAYER

P

Pink Kitty

I think what he's saying is: "Don't waste time on multiplayer, put all your effort into single player. Because that's what i paid for."

I Think.

Bgrmystr2

Website
en.touhouwiki.net
I think what he's saying is: "Don't waste time on multiplayer, put all your effort into single player. Because that's what i paid for."
That's definitely not what I paid for, and since many others in the thread are also looking forward to multiplayer, it seems I'm not alone in that. Thankfully, we can have both. :D

I have trouble imagining a way multiple players could exist within the same persistent world, what happens when someone logs off, how would balancing work, what's to stop a player from completely wiping out another and how do you stop that from feeling like a complete kick in the face to the defeated player (as in losing everything you made), how do new players get added in? Like @BitMage said an MMO like system would likely be impossible.
What? That's not even remotely close to impossible, mate. When someone logs off, their bases, techs, and anything belonging to them at that point is indestructable and non-hostile to anyone until they log back on. They can't attack you and you can't attack them. When you log on, you can look around your base before making any changes, thus if someone's waiting for you, you know what to expect. Problem solved.

If someone's going to camp your base with a tech that has 200 megacannons, they would have wiped you off the map whether you were there or not. Plus, isn't the entire idea of having a base with AI cores on it the purpose for the base defending itself while you are not there? Why would this change from singleplayer to multiplayer? When you leave your base in singleplayer, it's still open to enemy attack.

The problem is when new players join, others may already have massive techs and may take out smaller players. I think this could be solved by how big a tech you can see with your radar depending on the size of your tech. If your tech is small, you can see small and big techs easily. But if your tech is big, your radar should have a harder time picking out smaller techs, and since they're small, they shouldn't put up too much of a threat, as they'd want to avoid you anyway. You can't avoid this kind of confrontation, but a big tech will rely on it's radar more often than a smaller tech will, as there's many blind spots, but one could easily use trees, cliff faces, and other cover to hide from larger techs.

considering we (and at this point maybe even the devs to a point) have no idea how the mechanics of multiplayer in TerraTech will work
This isn't entirely true. While small in scale, there are plenty of enemy encounters that have shields. All shielded enemies are bases, obviously, and usually fall pretty quickly, but for that one fleeting moment, it really is whoever's shield breaks first.

That's exactly how multiplayer will be, but with mobile techs. I mean, usually your tech has shields and repair bubbles to protect against enemy damage while wittling the AI down to nothing, but if you go out and fight the same AI tech without any bubbles at all, it ain't easy. (I'd know, I've tried it) That's prettymuch how multiplayer encounters will go. The side with the bubbles will have the advantage. (For now, anyway.) Once both side's bubbles are gone, it won't be too much different than fighting the AI without any bubbles on your tech. I'd highly suggest giving this a try and seeing how far you can go.

I still stand by my suggestion to have enemy AI techs with shields and repair bubbles. That's the only real way to prepare the singleplayer community for true multiplayer battles. By official design or by community modification, multiplayer is going to happen eventually. Not everyone will play it, but for those who do, there needs to be more thought put into how we play the game mechanically, and in general.

Don't build larger, build smarter.

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
I have trouble imagining a way multiple players could exist within the same persistent world, what happens when someone logs off, how would balancing work, what's to stop a player from completely wiping out another and how do you stop that from feeling like a complete kick in the face to the defeated player (as in losing everything you made), how do new players get added in? Like @BitMage said an MMO like system would likely be impossible.

I do have an idea for a competitive multiplayer system within a smaller controlled map outside of the main story world but it would take an entire page of text to explain it (should start typing it down).
There are many ways of doing this type of thing probably. It would just be a matter of figuring out what would work best for this game.
I don't know how to do it I just know what I would like to be able to do.

The post above from @Bgrmystr2 has a pretty good suggestion on how it could work.

Have a good one

ogy2014

why is this comment getting so many replys its been expleand to me I understand now and you don't have to post something like ok after this ITS FINE

DaEliteTerraTech

Sorry Chrii but my future vision of TerraTech is fairly apocalyptic with fire and ruin raining down from the skies as I terrorize the ground dwelling peasants operate a large sky fleet of techs. You might have noticed a lot of my community core submissions are essentially the basis for a future flying based operation with specific roles and uses for each which I'm going to keep refining and updating until game mechanics make them viable. I'm far more looking forward to the day I can laugh maniacally while raining death down upon the list of other people you just mentioned (in a fair and balanced multiplayer environment of course) but of course I have no objection to a more peaceful cooperative mode.
You know, you should really make a flying aircraft carrier, and when the devs make it less buggy, add planes to it. Or make huge explosive kamikaze bomb techs and put them on the underside of your craft, then rain down terror on the enemy.

Epic afdc

How about when you die in multilayer you respawn with the same tech instead of getting the beginner buggy (the tech you start the game with )

ogy2014

well if you didn't keep on putting messages I wouldn't need to unsubscribe can you please stop now

CakedyYT

An MMO version of TT would be quite frustrating for new players (like me) and be WAAAY too easy for veterans with HUMONGOUS tech. And it would be nice if the first option that @BitMage said in a previous message would make the game be easier to balance than an MMO version.

streak1

Website
steamcommunity.com
I think he has a point with the PvP aspect of multiplayer. I think that balancing could be a bit of an issue if that's what they decide to do. It seems like they are taking the Minecraft approach to multiplayer, which is fine, but it has plenty of problems.

I've never been much of a fan of Minecraft PvP. Custom games and maps for PvP are fun, but a vanilla PvP survival just never seems to work to me. You are either at the bottom with no way to progress without getting annihilated, or are at the very top picking off weaklings starting out. You could battle other top players, but that risks you losing everything, and you can't leave stuff in another place or else it will be found. It seems like it is only ever boring or frustrating, and I don't think that Terratech should fall into the same place.

Don't get me wrong though. PvP in Terratech would be super fun. I mean, just look at Sumo. But Sumo works because there are rules, and because nobody is at a disadvantage when they start the match. The only factors are how good the person is at building techs and if their tech is suited for defeating the opponent. This wouldn't be the case in survival, as different people would start out at different times, making it so a beefy player can take out weak players. If Terratech gets PvP outside of Sumo, then it should stick to a game mode or game modes designed for it; maybe a deathmatch sort of mode where players build their techs as they go, or maybe something in a Hunger Games style. Terratech Survival should stick to friendly CooP.

well if you didn't keep on putting messages I wouldn't need to unsubscribe can you please stop now

This is a forum. The whole POINT is sending messages. If you don't want emails, turn them off.

Smoovious Laxness

"balancing" is more of an issue for games with pre-fab vehicles and pre-made tools (tho not as much as I've heard some people try to make it on other games)

we're creating our own vehicles with building blocks, allowing us to customize our vehicles in whatever manner we want. it would truly be a nightmare to try to balance that out, when the players themselves are deciding how much/little firepower they want to have on their custom-built vehicles.

-- Smoov

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
A way to balance things out for multiplayer might be to have different game lobbies depending on the grades of the blocks that make up the tech that the player wants to use.

Also having a lobby for starting a brand new game so every one is starting from scratch would be cool.
A free for all that allowed any tech would be interesting.

Need some major optimizations before this could be fully enjoyed.

Just a few thoughts

Have a good one

streak1

Website
steamcommunity.com
A way to balance things out for multiplayer might be to have different game lobbies depending on the grades of the blocks that make up the tech that the player wants to use.

Also having a lobby for starting a brand new game so every one is starting from scratch would be cool.
A free for all that allowed any tech would be interesting.

Need some major optimizations before this could be fully enjoyed.

Just a few thoughts

Have a good one
Or have a mode where people build their techs in the match.

streak1

Website
steamcommunity.com
Thats is what the start from scratch lobby would be for.

Have a good one
Yea, I understand that. I just think it would be interesting to do that while we are fighting and stuff.

Say you have an arena or something. 2 teams, one on each side, and you have some AI techs roaming around inbetween. Take out the enemy players for points, take out the AI techs to build your tech. Maybe start out with different corps like different classes. Could be interesting.

HappyApathy

This is currently the most ironically named thread on the forum :p (but seriously we should consider starting a whole new thread).

I imagine adding PvP would be done in small steps, start off with 1 v 1 rooms with some sort of settable block/size limit for the techs you can bring in and have nothing at stake, no ranks, BB, resources, pieces to be lost or gained and a note from the developers stating it is for experimental/balance purposes. From there let the reports from players come in about what works and what doesn't and adjust accordingly. Once some semblance of balance has been achieved then consider more expansive and complex forms of PvP.

When a new weapon is added to the game give a chance for R&D members to wail on each other with it in no-stake matches to see how it affects balance before adding it to the main game.

Smoovious Laxness

wait, arena?

I didn't take this thread as having anything to do with an arena or sumo or anything like that, but multiplayer on the planet, open-world, same as we're doing now, but with neighbors we would rather not have next to us. Otherwise, gameplay is the same.

-- Smoov