Night is too colourful

Azirahael

Jan 8, 2015
Night is great!

But one of the things that you will notice about night, is that unless you are near a bright light, it's largely black and white.

My suggestion is that at night, all the ambient light should be heavily desaturated, with only brightly lit things (above a specified level) showing in colour.

This is what we have now:

This is what i'm suggesting:

notice how you can still see everything?
But everything that doesn't have a light right on it, is grey.

It makes it seem more night-like, because the human eye goes to black and white below a given light level.

Reactions: Azuratte and Coder

IdontRuin

May 27, 2015
I actually like how the place doesn't become greyscale..
I just want them to tone down the bubbles, lots of lights + lots of bubbles = a big glowing mess. (just like your base in the screenie..)

tomo_cjt

Aug 14, 2014
I hate, hate, hate the bubbles - mainly 'cos you guys stick them everywhere :)

I think they ruin the looks of the Techs, so Jason and myself will try and look at them this sprint and see if we can make them less oppressive.

Azirahael

Jan 8, 2015

I think they ruin the looks of the Techs, so Jason and myself will try and look at them this sprint and see if we can make them less oppressive.

give us a big one, and you'll get one shield per tech/base, 2 for large ones.
and yes, we put them on everything. because otherwise you come home and discover a random encounter shot off all your bits, and you have to put it all back together/buy more after it de-spawns.

Until we get the metaball stuff, my suggestion is that shields be totally opaque when you turn them on and fade to near invisibility after a second or so. The opacity makes it obvious what it covers, and the transparency gets them out of the way.
maybe make their opacity increase as they take hits, Star-trek style.
I'd also suggest that edges be visible, but anything facing the camera be invisible. making it less of a bubble, and a little more ring-like.
also, stop the lights shining on them.

Here's a rough photoshop:

IdontRuin

May 27, 2015

If we wouldn't lose parts at every single shot from even the smallest of enemies we wouldn't need the shield bubble..
(I have no idea how to fix this.. as even if the blocks where tougher, most of us would still protect it with shields.. maybe introducing more shields would help ? at least the variety of them would make them less of a "ya bubbles" situation.. shielded blocks maybe ? blocks that have built in shield on one side or something..)
If we wouldn't be breaking our parts by driving around normally even on almost flat ground then we wouldn't need the repair bubble..
(I'm looking at you venture wheels/front spoilers.. I did suggest a "regeneration" block because of this before, that heals all blocks connected to the tech slower than the repair bubble, because most of us use the repair bubble to counter impact damage from ground/trees/rocks)

Until we get the metaball stuff, my suggestion is that shields be totally opaque when you turn them on and fade to near invisibility after a second or so. The opacity makes it obvious what it covers, and the transparency gets them out of the way.
maybe make their opacity increase as they take hits, Star-trek style.
I'm liking this idea, there is already a "it got hit" effect, making it so that this effect decreases the transparency in the hit area for a moment could make it look epic probably.

Reactions: Tinywar and Coder

Azuratte

Feb 11, 2015

Bubbles are life.

Reactions: Jamie and Coder

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Feb 25, 2015
Instead of having the shields show a bubble around the covered area why not just have a shield generator that when attached to your tech and powered up it covers the whole tech in a bubble the same shape as your tech but just a little bigger.
That way you only need one shield generator and coupled with the visible outline of them you would have everything covered and you would not have a big blue and green blob running around.

A combination of all of the ideas here would probably work good to make these issues a thing of the past.

Also I found that I like the look of my tech with no powered bubbles and dimly lit. Looks a little more evil.

Have a good one

Coder

Jun 30, 2015
Instead of having the shields show a bubble around the covered area why not just have a shield generator that when attached to your tech and powered up it covers the whole tech in a bubble the same shape as your tech but just a little bigger.
That way you only need one shield generator and coupled with the visible outline of them you would have everything covered and you would not have a big blue and green blob running around.
This will work for repare bubble, but if you do it with shield, sticking guns through enemy shields will become impossible / a lot harder.

Reactions: Admiral Naismith

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Feb 25, 2015
This will work for repare bubble, but if you do it with shield, sticking guns through enemy shields will become impossible / a lot harder.
What I propose would work the same as what we have it would just mean that you would only have one shielding block that is needed and the shield itself would create a perimeter the way the current shields do it, but it would cover the whole tech.
Without having the bubbles overlap the way they do now it would be a lot easier to see when building especially now with it getting dark and the lights being so bright. I had to strip some lights of my tech just so I could see, had a few too many bright ones.

Think of it like a force field that contours to the shape of your tech while staying something like three small blocks away from it. It would be your personal space bubble and anyone who pops it must die.

Have a good one