Nice-Looking Ion Drives/Boosters

Should these be added?

• Yes, my BF planes will look so much better!

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No, it's just another version of what we already have.

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Nerf Craft

Sep 6, 2018
The Ion Drives are pretty cool, as are the thrusters.But it's hard to use several of of them on a small craft and have them look nice. So add one version of each that has a casing around it that makes it more streamlined. They would both be 3 blocks long and have the same curvature of the Stream 3 block, with Ion Drives being straight and the Boosters would have the corners. Here's what I mean: The Ion Drive:Desktop Screenshot 2019.06.09 - 09.31.16.49.png
And the Booster, with not that great of a model:Desktop Screenshot 2019.06.09 - 09.31.26.58.png
These are just concept models, and they don't have the right curvature, but these are something I've wanted for a long time and really hope you consider adding these.

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Aug 25, 2018
I like the creativity, but I guess I don't see the need. On any moderately sized tech, the existing boosters can blend in quite seamlessly and the adjustment thrusters were designed to be incorporated internally. A big reason for this is that you often need many adjustment thrusters to get the performance you need. As a result, these corner thrusters wouldn't be at all practical for medium-to-large techs since you only have a few corners. The booster might have more universal application, but I'm not sure it's compelling enough of a reason to add/replace something already implemented.

I mean these aren't bad ideas by any means, but considering BF already has twice the blocks of the other corps, it mostly seems like block-bloat which doesn't provide new real functionality. However, I might support a very large ion drive which fits streamlined into a five-block or something.

Reactions: Wassaup and Rafs

Nerf Craft

Sep 6, 2018
As a result, these corner thrusters wouldn't be at all practical for medium-to-large techs since you only have a few corners.
This idea is meant more for the small Better Future planes rather than medium to large techs, with four boosters giving more than enough speed to escape combat when necessary.

Reactions: Rafs

Nerf Craft

Sep 6, 2018
Here is a potential usage for these on larger BF planes. You could put DOT lasers on the front for extra weapons and the outer protrusion could give extra thrust while still looking nice. Elongate it with Streamline Assault Lasers or Speed lance lasers for extra firepower. This could be so useful for nice looking BF planes. Remember this is only a concept usage.Desktop Screenshot 2019.06.23 - 16.49.27.62.png

Reactions: Wassaup