Newbies guide to combat

Nocallia

Administrator
Aug 7, 2015
Elsewhere
To fight in TerraTech, you need to know the basic rules.

1. Guns pointing at your own blocks or other guns will not fire.
2. Lasers are best near the bottom of your tech
3. Have a cab facing backwards to have your guns point backwards.
4. Sniping is good.
5. Try to have defense on the back of your tech.
6. Megatons=Good.

Any more suggestions? Comment below.

xrw

Oct 3, 2015
Most weapons have a very short range and unrealistic projectile paths. Bullets are not your friend. 2 kinds of lasers, studs lasers and coil lasers have long range and straight paths. These are good for long range sniping on flat terrain. Coil lasers are better as they have a wider aiming range but Studs can be placed on the front of blocks. Anyways the lasers are best placed on the front of your tech.

Megaton cannons have a longer range than other projectile weapons, and a ridiculous range if fired at an angle. Megatons are good for any terrain but for the previously mentioned reason are good any time you can fire from a slight angle. Find a hill roll up to it so your tech is angled upward. Fire. With a bit of patience you can kill techs from FAR outside of aggro range. Like a smart man once said "a battle won is a battle not fought". Don't risk your tech in combat if you don't need to.

You might want to put weapons on the side of your tech and pretend your a battleship of some sort... swooping in for some kind of broadside. In practice that doesn't work so good. Your weapons try to auto aim, but the auto aim is pretty bad sometimes. You'll miss all the time especially if your tech is moving as well as the enemy.

Your tech can physically enter shield bubbles of enemies. For this reason if you encounter an anchored invader mounting a melee weapon on your tech will allow you to bypass their shield. Just drive up and go for the solar generators or the anchor blocks. Alternately wait for night and just drain their batteries. But going melee is more fun.

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
Building your tech backwards makes the AI target the front of your bot instead of the back. To set it up, select your cab, build a cluster of blocks onto it, take off your cab, and place your cab back on and rotate it to the opposite orientation.

The first cab placement is what sets the AI behavior, and your earliest cab placement is what sets your controls for the tech. So, if you do this set up, and also add a second cab facing backwards, you get a better radius and the enemies will roll in front of you. This is very useful, making it a lot easier to take out bots.

Reactions: MrSkyFire

Bgrmystr2

Oct 29, 2015
Gensokyo
en.touhouwiki.net
Most weapons have a very short range and unrealistic projectile paths. Bullets are not your friend.
I want to make a note that while the bullets tend to miss often if the enemy is faster than you, the Venture Hail Fire rifle will actually hit the enemy if you're moving at the same speed in the same direction. For example, if you have a bunch of Hail Fires on your tech facing multiple directions, they will all aim upwards and at a nearby enemy. If this enemy is trying to get behind you, move backwards so they stay on the side of your tech moving at the same speed. As long as they're towards your tech's back end at the same speed you're reversing and preventing them from doing so, the rifles tend to hit the target spot on, bar the inaccuracy built-in to the weapon.

It's more realistic than you think, it's really their targeting that isn't that smart. Bullets travel in a trajectory that do not aim ahead. This in itself isn't unrealistic, it just requires some ingenuity in how you use them.

Edit : Want to make another note that while most ordinary guns fire bullets that travel straight (bar gravitational pull), bullet weapons on TerraTech are designed as mortars. They arc. These are real weapons and have been used for a very long time. They're not easy to use, either.

Also, a good thing to note is how much each item costs at the beginning because it's so important to keep track of money. Early in the game, when you're strapped for space and need to decide which items are worth keeping for their value, maybe this will help. These are all items you can find quite early in the game, from cheapest to most valuable :

The Stabilizer Wheel gives 30 BB
The Little Trekker Wheel gives 38 BB
Storm Lanterns also give 38 BB
Coil Lasers give 44 BB
GSO's single block gives 45 BB
A Mini-Drill gives 48 BB
GSO's Machine Gun gives 75 BB
Dirt Wheels also give 75 BB
STUD Lasers give 88 BB
A Radar will give you 100 BB

Venture's Standard Block gives 100 BB (which is the same size as GSOs, but lighter and can't take punishment)
Their Globe Trotter Wheels give a respectable 400 BB
A Hail Fire Rifle gives a whopping 1200 BB

Next time you're playing a new game, take a second to think about if you're keeping items to sell later. Radars are worth more than three Stabilizer Wheels, and a single Globe Trotter wheel can pay for the Tech you start with. For reference, that's 4 Trekker Wheels, single GSO block, Cab (free), Mini-Drill, and machine gun. You still have 80BB left too. You'd be surprised how much faster you can get by the early game simply from prioritizing the slots on your tech for higher value items early game.

Also, curious this hasn't been noted yet, but Venture's globe Trotter Wheels are great to combine with their Right Angle Bracket. If you put the bracket the bottom of your tech with the other end facing the side of your vehicle, you can put the Globe Trotter wheels on it for massive speed while simultaneously having a decent gap below your tech allowing you to traverse some of the steeper hills and dunes, and you'll not get stuck as often. It's easily done by moving the block to where you want it, then right-clicking until it's at the angle you want.

All of this I had to learn personally. It took me a little while before I knew how get past early game efficiently. Hoping you guys can use it to your advantage. Cheers, guys and good luck. :)

Reactions: Aardvark123

xrw

Oct 3, 2015
I want to make a note that while the bullets tend to miss often if the enemy is faster than you, the Venture Hail Fire rifle will actually hit the enemy if you're moving at the same speed in the same direction. For example, if you have a bunch of Hail Fires on your tech facing multiple directions, they will all aim upwards and at a nearby enemy. If this enemy is trying to get behind you, move backwards so they stay on the side of your tech moving at the same speed. As long as they're towards your tech's back end at the same speed you're reversing and preventing them from doing so, the rifles tend to hit the target spot on, bar the inaccuracy built-in to the weapon.

It's more realistic than you think, it's really their targeting that isn't that smart. Bullets travel in a trajectory that do not aim ahead. This in itself isn't unrealistic, it just requires some ingenuity in how you use them.

Edit : Want to make another note that while most ordinary guns fire bullets that travel straight (bar gravitational pull), bullet weapons on TerraTech are designed as mortars. They arc. These are real weapons and have been used for a very long time. They're not easy to use, either.
Yes you correctly observe that bullets obey gravity, and bullets fire in straight lines. You however don't notice that a child could throw a wadded up tissue further than a machine gun fires in TT. Bullets are not mortars and should not need to be operate like such to be effective. The higher firing angles should be primarily useful to shoot down airborn techs when flying ai techs are implemented. I can only guess that the current weapons are intended to be trash to be tossed upon reach the higher tier of parts once said higher tiers are properly implemented.

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
Eh, IDK. I think the guns could use a little more range, but I don't mind the mortar behavior. Better radius for the cost of range. I just wish they hit enemies more often...

Bgrmystr2

Oct 29, 2015
Gensokyo
en.touhouwiki.net
You however don't notice that a child could throw a wadded up tissue further than a machine gun fires in TT.
It's quite hard to not notice the short range of the mortar weapons. I did, in fact, notice it. I simply find nothing inherently wrong with the trajectory itself as a wadded up tissue would be much lighter than an explosive round fired into the air to fall on the top of the enemy. That being said, I agree that weapons should shoot further. From my perspective, the trajectory isn't wrong, it's the gravity on the shell that's too much. The speed of which it falls makes the illusion that it's not being shot as fast from the barrel, which is actually not the case.
I can only guess that the current weapons are intended to be trash to be tossed upon reach the higher tier of parts once said higher tiers are properly implemented.
I actually consider this an extremely bad design choice, as no weapon in the game should be outclassed by any other weapon. Everything should have strengths and weaknesses, for example :

- Lasers are cheap and long ranged, could great in large numbers for taking apart base shields. If lasers did more damage to shields than ordinary blocks but less damage to armor, that'd be even more interesting of a mechanical design.
- Rifles being more expensive and longer ranged would definitely be the pick for Tech to Tech combat, they just need to smart-fire where the enemy is going, not where they are. That way, the smart driver can out-maneuver them.
- Cannons are currently expensive and powerful but are slow to rotate and fire. Definitely designed to take on the biggest but slowest techs. You need the firepower.

If all machine guns aimed where their enemy was going to be, you'd find yourself being hit really hard really easily, and as a new player, that's not fun to encounter, so the devs went with the aim at where they are approach, which makes the weapon class not great against speedy mobile targets. There needs to be a middle ground and there's definitely multiple ways to approach it, but I believe the design they chose is not technically wrong, just imbalanced.

Reactions: Aardvark123 and xrw