New UI Feedback & Suggestions

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. We go through everything and take it into account when discussing potential changes.

In regards to "Why can't we just have options/toggles/the old UI". We've mentioned it before, but i'll reemphasise the point here in case anyone missed it.

Before any update goes out into the world (on any platform, not just PC) - our QA guys need to go through and check every little corner of the game to make sure everything is working the way it should be (you'd be surprised how many knock on effects appear from seemingly unrelated changes we've made! It's crazy how much detail QA need to go into for their checks).

It's already not possible for us to get through our entire checklist with each update, but we do what we can. Adding different UIs to these checks would massively increase the amount of time needed to test upcoming updates - not to mention potentially add more bugs to fix. As you all know...we already have more bugs on the list than we can fix with our team size ;)

So unfortunately, supporting multiple styles/versions of UI just isn't something we can do.

I feel your pain on these changes btw. I play Marvel Strike Force every day (have done for a year...i'm officially addicted...send help please) and they just updated their UI. I hate it. I'm so used to how it looked before the update - and I just want things to go back to what i'm used to. BUT, I understand that these changes are probably for the better for boring things like supporting various screen sizes...being easier to pick up for new players...blah blah blah.

So yeah, it's a pain - but we're taking on all feedback on the UI to try and make it slightly less of a pain. :)

HeX

TerraTech Modder Manager
Before any update goes out into the world (on any platform, not just PC) - our QA guys need to go through and check every little corner of the game to make sure everything is working the way it should be (you'd be surprised how many knock on effects appear from seemingly unrelated changes we've made! It's crazy how much detail QA need to go into for their checks).
Shouldn't it be possible to have one instance of the game show on two screens or something like that? One screen would be old UI while the other would be the new UI and both go through the same actions and menus as if it were just one instance. It would allow for the checking of both UIs while only spending the time required for one.

Exund

Fancy Modder
Somewhere in space, near my Techs (Switzerland)
Here's a suggestion, new ui for consoles, because you said one of the reasons you added it was that it was better for consoles, and scrap it for pc
That would still make them have to test 2 different UIs for each releases and keep track of bugs on the different UIS aswell as a big code split

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Shouldn't it be possible to have one instance of the game show on two screens or something like that? One screen would be old UI while the other would be the new UI and both go through the same actions and menus as if it were just one instance. It would allow for the checking of both UIs while only spending the time required for one.
You would need eyes like this to check two different UI systems on two different monitors at once...
024a947fe160da9acf6adbd89d751fe3.jpg
That would still make them have to test 2 different UIs for each releases and keep track of bugs on the different UIS aswell as a big code split
Bingo.

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Hey, hate to be that one guy. Is there any chance of having Km/h implemented into the UI? Thanks lol
Here you go:

Kmh.jpg

EDIT: Sorry, I was meant to explain this in a bit more detail but got sidetracked. Being that pretty much all the units in TerraTech are relatively arbitrary, having different speedometers for different units of speed felt a bit redundant (hence the post-it note). However, we could localise the readout to regions that use Km/h. We've forwarded the idea to art to look at.

Last edited:

GiffinDoor

The new UI is pretty and all that, but it's HUGE. I get that this is probably fine for console players, but a UI scale option would be nice.

Also; the notification pop-ups are way too big and get in the way constantly.

Just.... a compact UI. Please. I'm 1500 hours deep in this game and the new UI has stopped me playing totally. I just can't put up with the size and amount of screen it demands.

For the love of God, make it so chat is visible when the build/load menu is open. Not being able to see people chat while they are building and them not being able to hear you is a severe detriment to the multiplayer experience. The chat in general is just bad. It clears itself every so often, and it lacks a scroll feature, so you can't go back and see what people said earlier.

ssc

Mouse cursor size. too small on 4k display!
Please provide cursor size option, or automatic scaling by screen resolution.

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Thanks to everyone for jumping into this discussion and giving us your thoughts!

I'm going to leave this thread open for a while longer in case people have anything more to add.

Our Art Team will now take a look and see what we can work on so watch this space!

Zonko

Mouse cursor size. too small on 4k display!
Please provide cursor size option, or automatic scaling by screen resolution.
I have a custom mouse cursor that i like, because i am forever losing the thing when stuff happens.
I'd really love a "Use wondows cursor" option, so we can set our own. Big small, whatever.

suggestion: add a UI scale slider in the options menu and a color and/or UI brightness/transparency slider. The UI feels too bright and it feels like it'd be clunky enough to be a touchscreen UI.

There is for sure one thing that every PC gamer hates about UIs, and it is having a UI for mobile on the PC.

All these Console UIs are similar to mobile ones, so it is normal having a high resistance from PC users accepting this. But I want to be constructive on this. I understand the difficulties that console players would to have with a UI suited for the PC, and I understand that, from the development point of view, the ideal situation would be to have a unique interface, avoiding code branches.

To harmonize all, I propose the following:

- Put a slider to set the transparency level of the UI. Do not set a default transparency, leave setting the level to the user
- Every bright label ( characters, numbers...) should to have a dark border, so it is legible over bright backgrounds and dark ones too
- Put a slider to set the general scale of the UI, leave the user choose the scale.
- Put a slider to set the scale for labels ( characters, numbers, radar markers ).

I think that this is a good compromise.

Rafs

Director-General of GreenTech
They didn't do the coding work of making all UI parts able of getting global modifiers from sliders. It's just a ton of images. It's hard even for us modders to try to make a dark theme, which the devs said they won't do.

The good next step would be organizing the UI images better so it can be easier to work with, be it by the devs or by modders.

Last edited:
They didn't do the coding work of making all UI parts able of getting global modifiers from sliders. It's just a ton of images. It's hard even for us modders to try to make a dark theme, which the devs said they won't do.

The good next step would be organizing the UI images better so it can be easier to work with, be it by the devs or by modders.
I do not think that a ton of pictures would be needed / changed, all is related to a render with alpha blending.

If they were capable of implementing all maths for the physics, I do not see how it is much more complicated rendering with transparency and link the alpha channel magnitude to a slider, and the same for the escalation / resizing; but hey, I am not a developer specialized in games, so I would be wrong.