New UI Feedback & Suggestions

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Hey Everyone!

We've recently published a blog on the new UI and the design process that went into it:

https://terratechgame.com/blog_NewUI

One of the topics covered is our ambition to continually work on the UI, taking your feedback and suggestions into account.

This thread will be used to gather feedback and suggestions.

Now, we realise that most of you will have your own opinions on what you like or don't like about the new UI. Which is awesome! However, I kindly ask that we keep this thread as productive as possible. Please and thank you!

Seth_Seth

Possibly trying to get himself to play TT
Website
sites.google.com
Hey Everyone!

We've recently published a blog on the new UI and the design process that went into it:

https://terratechgame.com/blog_NewUI

One of the topics covered is our ambition to continually work on the UI, taking your feedback and suggestions into account.

This thread will be used to gather feedback and suggestions.

Now, we realise that most of you will have your own opinions on what you like or don't like about the new UI. Which is awesome! However, I kindly ask that we keep this thread as productive as possible. Please and thank you!
I uhh, guess it's impossible to have an option to change between the old and new UI then

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
We've already addressed some of the points raised in this thread.

Mainly the opacity on some of the more prominent panels and the radar:

New Inventory.PNG
New Radar.PNG
New Tech Mananger.PNG

These are still in dev so let us know what you think!

Seth_Seth

Possibly trying to get himself to play TT
Website
sites.google.com

View attachment 29948
View attachment 29946
View attachment 29949

Let us know what you think!
I'm generally just more or less worried about the amount of space that it takes up, the block menu instead of taking up a small bit of the left side it takes up the entire left side, i mean i understand the language stuff and consoles too but still

I posted this before it loaded this message

Improbably, not impossible.
Actually surprised

Wassaup

View attachment 29948
View attachment 29946
View attachment 29949

The new radar: Awesome! Five stars! A+!

THIS is the level of opacity I had in mind, but my point was, that ALL of the white and blue backgrounds for the menus and HUD elements should be like this! Like, yeah, if I squint, I can sort of see behind the panels, but it's basically still just blinding whiteness.

The idea, is that if all of the UI elements have such semi-transparent backgrounds, their size and placement is irrelevant, when it comes to visibility of the playing field. Yes, some users have problems with the cursor travel distance, but at this point, I personally, am willing to compromise. If I get my transparent menus, I'll shut my face about the GUI. Deal?

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts

View attachment 29948
View attachment 29946
View attachment 29949

the radar is better than the second attempt at the ui but the N looks like it is bent (might be an italic font (BAD IDEA))
the inventory would be better with THREE columns AND LESS WHITE and a bit more transparency
the tech manager NEEDS LOTTS LESSS WHITTE and more transparency

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Oh thanks guys, Nadim, for such a well written, informative overview of the UI design process and thinking behind the changes! And hey! :)

Seems like you must have to very carefully argue design choices (and deal with a lot of nit-picking over every little change from end users :oops:). And you had a whole lot of legacy UI and features to deal with here, for sure, a tough task!

Obviously (in retrospect) it would have been great to have had this blog post at the time of the first (1.3.3.1) unstable, but obviously you will have been working very hard finishing up implementation and bug fixes.

Some of the things it makes clear (from my reading):

► New UI was designed with growth into new markets very much in mind. Particularly supporting console players (and switch, etc).:)

► That means a universal design for all resolutions and platforms, with more icons in place of button text (I like a lot) and language localisations more securely accommodated.

► Dark themes were already ruled out: "...we weren't going to have multiple variants of the UI (ie. dark themes, grey themes, old themes or anything in-between themes) ". :confused:

► "The new UI is a first iteration." ... but it sounds like the overall style and layout isn't up for debate. More a process of ongoing refinements and untouched areas being converted over.

So that's the newly increased background transparency? It's a pretty subtle change; I don't feel that will address the main thrust of the issues raised in the previous thread.

I guess one might be just about able to see if an enemy is sneaking up on you, while mid-screen pop-ups are open. But it doesn't look like it will decrease the apparent brightness noticeably.

I wonder if you devs haven't fully anticipated/appreciated the brightness issue due to your context: you're all in the same harshly/well lit, busy open plan office, during the day time. While us players are in cosily lit bedrooms, living rooms, etc, more often in the evening (where brightness is far more noticible, due to pupil dilation). And in quickly testing UI changes, you'll always be seeing full brightness game-world illumination, rarely night.

Anyway. With my initial feedback, I was also unsure if significant transparency of the inventory/tech-loader backdrops would be a good idea (without adding background blur, too); it looks like even that little extra transparency might make it more visually confusing, with high-contrast background details more visible. Sorry if this sounds contradictory.

I mean, obviously the old inventory was almost totally transparent... So maybe I'm talking rubbish on this one. And I've only got that one still to go on. But perhaps being *only just* able to make out background features is more visually confusing than fully seeing them (or being totally opaque).

I guess the bottom line is that the white is just too... white.

2019-11-29 Radar distances (old).png

I think everyone will be relieved to go back to a softer looking mini-map. But of course this is still going to suffer from bright world backgrounds making white icons very hard to see. And players like to hang out on the salt flats a lot. I struggled a lot to get a dark, uncluttered background when making the above image (2 years back).

Also, would I be right in guessing that the new non-linear concentric ring scaling is purely stylistic? Or are the radar markers going to scale in line with that too? They were previously quite handy in correlating fairly closely with 100m intervals. (E.g. for easily seeing where enemies will come to life, at 200m.)

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I guess you devs also read the comments on the other thread after your last replies(?). Just wanted to quote this one to say well done on making a much smaller, prettier, better "Rename Tech" icon. I did not like the previous one, heh...
I think the key is a *lower contrast* theme. A fully inverted dark theme might just be too dark (during the day)... Shades somewhere in the middle are going to be most widely compatible with world illumination (like the old UI's dark blue, though not necessarily that saturated).

There's also an existing example of the level of transparency I'd prefer for background areas of (e.g. pop-up) menus. This would probably be far too transparent for use on buttons, showing too much image contrast in from behind (unless a gaussian blur were applied, which might actually look pretty sweet...).

Also, thanks for clarifying what "Contextual UI" involves. It sounds like, specifically, you might, for example, hide the speedometer while in build beam (and other elements at the bottom of the screen)? To give more room for picking up blocks and building. Yes?

I'm struggling to think of any other helpful example... Like, it would be a nuisance to force players to stop (and build beam) to access block inventory. And, actually, it would be best (in the context of campaign) to be able to see battery levels (are OK) while building and access the control scheme menu, too.

When the blog says...:
...many of the new bits of UI didn’t get implemented to their final design specs.
... Does that correspond to this included image? Which seems kinda backwards in terms of what we players have seen, in practice - old UI was equally or less intrusive, on the left (with nothing on the right of screen at all). And at the bottom too, of course.

4_3example.jpg

Speedometer could really do with being no taller than the new charge/fuel circles. And for my liking, those are harder to discern at a quick glance (or in peripheral vision) than previously. Maybe an option to 'minimise'/shrink that whole bar down to the bottom edge of screen might be nice...?

WhitePaw2002

Modding Husky
Website
github.com
I really like that UI items are going to become more transparent, but I wonder how transparent they are planned to become. Will it be enough that there is less of a difference in contrast, for when everything around the UI is dark? Such as will it cooperate with low gamma, or will it still occupy the focus?

Last edited:
Website
sapioit.com
It would be nice if there were two (maybe three) options: 1. a choice between two sizes of block icons (the current size and a quarter, as in half the height and half the width) and 2. a choice between 2 transparency options of the transparency of the background of all windows, with one option the current one and another option 10% opacity. And maybe also 3. having an option to reduce the size of the speedometer and other items on that bar to the height of the smallest items on that bar (so speedometer would become about a quarter the current size, by simply retaining the aspect ration and lowering the height to the smallest height possible.

Sharra

Okay, it get the problem with (for example) russian wayyyyy to long texts. Thats something devs have to consider carefuly. But in general, why dont you make just a template, and make it open to mod? That way talented folks around here would love to make thousands of different styles, designes, color variants and so on.
UI is always a matter of personal taste. I agree the old one was not the best. But i also say, the new one is not the best choice either. The problem here is, you will never be able to make a "one fits all taste" UI, even if you try it all your live. Its just impossible. So, pleaase consider making templates, and the problem is solved once and for all.

Mays_McMuffin

It's either you add in a dark mode UI option and implement support for ultrawide resolutions or I won't play this anymore. It's called Eye Restraint for a reason and I am NOT going to accept the fact they already said no about multiple UI's. It doesn't even matter if you say no, People look more at the Hud more than you realize and now you want the white to be burned into our sights?

Website
sapioit.com
\The problem here is, you will never be able to make a "one fits all taste" UI, even if you try it all your live. Its just impossible. So, pleaase consider making templates, and the problem is solved once and for all.
They will likely say that they will need to make sure the template system will be working well in all future updates, and so they will decline.

It's either you add in a dark mode UI option and implement support for ultrawide resolutions or I won't play this anymore. It's called Eye Restraint for a reason and I am NOT going to accept the fact they already said no about multiple UI's. It doesn't even matter if you say no, People look more at the Hud more than you realize and now you want the white to be burned into our sights?
I think a lot of people underestimate how sensitive people are about colors. If you look around, you will find that most of the most popular games at least have the option for a dark theme, or only have a dark theme. Minimalist UI is also something often done in the best games.

The reason is that you want (1) the gamers to see as much of the action on their screen as possible (which leads to transparency and more wisely compacted UI elements), and you want (2) the gamers to be able to play the game as much as possible (which leads to optimizing the UI to reduce eye-strain as much as possible).

Take MMORPGs, for example. They're carefully designed for people to play them all day long with little to no break. Causing eye strain would defeat that purpose. Other games do not necessarily have the same goal, but, as I mentioned before, there is a correlation between non-eye-straining UIs and top games. And in the industry where there are so many good games, having people not able to play the game as much as they want, or making them unable to see enough of the action, would lead to limiting the amount of popularity and playtime your game has.

MrTwister

By the way, related to the new UI.

Why is there severe degradation in FPS perfomance (heavy video lag) when opening a steam workshop tech list in the new UI?
There wasn't anything like that with the old UI, snapshots took awhile to load but the game didn't stutter.

And another one, ever since you adjusted the snapshots for the new UI to "auto-zoom" they started to come out extremely jagged and pixelated, while the game itself is set to maximum quality and looks perfect. T

This was never the case with the old snapshots with manual zoom.

Website
www.youtube.com
Why is there severe degradation in FPS perfomance (heavy video lag) when opening a steam workshop tech list in the new UI?
There wasn't anything like that with the old UI
We've had this issue for over a year, as reported back here.

A while after that, it was worked on a little (by Django, I think), so that at least it stopped processor hogging after closing the menu. I believe the issue arose when there was a unity update that forced old snapshots to be translated into a new format. Taking a about a second a piece when first loading the game on the new patch. That was made more efficient too, etc.

I think you/we reported the pixelisation of snapshot images in a bug thread somewhere too (if you can link). But both of these things are kinda diverging from thread topic.