New Population-Techs from Techies for Techies

P

Pink Kitty

Yeah. The GC wheels keep getting stronger, and slower.

And thus, except for monster gun crawlers, no one uses them.
Who wants to go slow?

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
The GC wheels keep getting stronger, and slower.

And thus, except for monster gun crawlers, no one uses them.
Who wants to go slow?
Hmm, thinking of this, maybe slow speed is why almost every enemy tech has GeoCorp wheels (as part of a deliberate bias by devs) - to ensure players have the best chance at outrunning them...?

(Not that this needs to be a thing, given the way the campaign rolls all player directly onto GeoCorp wheels, and then there's nothing more robust, as you say.)

@The Grand Teki - did you mean to delete the second spoiler there?; the attachments don't work.

Also, I got buildy again, so, presenting (not a great snapshot, will add a Grabbit later...):

"HE Lv2 SniperMantis"
HE Lv2 SniperMantis.png

Edit (as promised):

Last edited:
P

Pink Kitty

Hmm, thinking of this, maybe slow speed is why almost every enemy tech has GeoCorp wheels (as part of a deliberate bias by devs) - to ensure players have the best chance at outrunning them...?

(Not that this needs to be a thing, given the way the campaign rolls all player directly onto GeoCorp wheels, and then there's nothing more robust, as you say.)

@The Grand Teki - did you mean to delete the second spoiler there?; the attachments don't work.

Also, I got buildy again, so, presenting (not a great snapshot, will add a Grabbit later...):

Looks great!

fragile, yes, but great-looking!

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I know it doesn't work.
So... :confused: Have you got some alternative images in the works? Anyway, regarding your GeoCorp submissions...
...Seeing as this is largely a feedback/assessment thread, I'll risk make a couple of criticisms:

Don't Exp parts immediately disqualify (the first two) techs from being enemies? (Until they are included in the game proper.)

Also, there are already a lot of small GeoCorp techs in campaign with a smattering (or covering) of GSO parts. If you take a step back and imagine seeing these crop up in the game, would they make you think 'oh cool':cool:? I don't doubt they are fairly effective, though, as far as low level GeoCorp techs go.

Also, don't be afraid to throw on fabricators, generators, collectors, etc, etc, for decoration, even though they'll non-functional. (Level dependant.) I mean, aside from looking cool (in the right spot), it gives the player more chance to get these parts as drops, rather than just a million basic blocks, GeoCorp wheels, basic guns and megatons, etc. Right?

Looks great!

fragile, yes, but great-looking!
Thanks. It's my favourite build so far.:) I'd actually have it 3D printed (if that were a viable option). I think it does a great job of showing off the possibilities of the cool shaped HE blocks; I may be a little obsessed with the corner bracket now...:oops: Hawkey looks good spindly too! Not just in squat tank shapes. ;)

This is actually really agile too, and the HE blocks are pretty resilient anyway, so it's not overly delicate. But anything that's not a shielded pyramid of batteries is going to be 'fragile' verses a half decent player tech...

These next ones (grade 2 and 3 version of basically the same build) are are lot less manoeuvrable, struggling with hills, and aren't best suited to the close range at which the AI likes to skirmish (although they might give you a bit of a poke on the way in, if you're lucky). The havoc shield guzzles battery juice ludicrously fast though, too, so even with the 8 GSO batteries in this doubled up 'reactor core' design it's almost pointless - possibly better to forgo the shield in favour of regeneration only...

"HE Lv2 Megalith FA"
HE Lv2 Megalith FA.png

"HE Lv3 Megalith FA"
HE Lv2 Megalith FA.png

I'd chose the grade 3 design, personally, even though it's probably still not all that deadly for the added cost/rarity of the weapons (though it'll take down a very basic turret). The elevation of the turrets give it a decent range (which work better if you screw up, making the primary cab sideways, so it can't run in, heh).

Oh and kudos if anyone figures out what these wanna-be-walkers are (loosely) modelled on.:rolleyes:

BTW, I've just realised that if each part with "rare" status does decrease chance of spawning, then my aesthetic of decorative additional cabs is going to hobble my odds with my series of HE techs, so far (even before the AI turret on the Mantis is counted, etc). Unless cabs are excluded from the calculations...

Attachments

Last edited:

The Grand Teki

So... :confused: Have you got some alternative images in the works? Anyway, regarding your GeoCorp submissions...

...Seeing as this is largely a feedback/assessment thread, I'll risk make a couple of criticisms:

Don't Exp parts immediately disqualify (the first two) techs from being enemies? (Until they are included in the game proper.)

Also, there are already a lot of small GeoCorp techs in campaign with a smattering (or covering) of GSO parts. If you take a step back and imagine seeing these crop up in the game, would they make you think 'oh cool':cool:? I don't doubt they are fairly effective, though, as far as low level GeoCorp techs go.

Also, don't be afraid to throw on fabricators, generators, collectors, etc, etc, for decoration, even though they'll non-functional. (Level dependant.) I mean, aside from looking cool (in the right spot), it gives the player more chance to get these parts as drops, rather than just a million basic blocks, GeoCorp wheels, basic guns and megatons, etc. Right?
Didn't know that EXP blocks were disqualified :(
They're just low level techs as a filler because I don't see that much variety in my campaing.
True, should've put more stuff on it.

Zed

Would you mind if I experimented with this a bit @Zed ?
Sure thing; I can easily see a Venture shield bubble being placed where the gso altimeter currently rests with a pair of venture batteries flanking it to make the Ornithopter far more combat capable. :)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I got building with the new GSO Bumper wheels and came up with a base I liked enough to make a small series of techs on. Hopeful they'll actually be fairly robust too - compact with a bunch of batteries for shield/regen and armour all around too. Some may even be a mild threat, mid-game, heh (nah, don't exaggerate:p):

"GSO Lv3 BumpSoldier"
GSO Lv3 BumpSoldier.png

"GSO Lv3 BumpEngineer"
GSO Lv3 BumpEngineer.png

I'm not sure about having the builders helmet on this one (it was just a whim); will all players still be able to access it? And do you thing the spawning algorythm might be biased against techs with special accessories?

Anyway, the resource chunks this guy picks up in his mouth are sent downwards, then when driving forwards they are knocked off the conveyor corner, and picked up by the tail collector, for storage in a silo.

"GSO Lv3 BumpAirforce"
GSO Lv3 BumpAirforce.png
The fastest, with a few fans to assist.

And I'm out of image attachment space on this reply...

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
... So last one here:

"GSO Lv5 BumpMegaTon"

I should probably give this dude, in particular, a bit of terrain testing. But there may still be some tweaks to the new wheels coming down the update pipeline anyway, that could potentially affect outcomes.

Some may have noticed that I've gone with a similar plough face and & canon eyes theme, as with my "Pug", aka...
GSO Gorilla Mini 1a (Level 3):
So maybe I should have named the new techs a little better, as bigger siblings... But anyway, all comments on tweaking appearance or function welcomed.

Attachments

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
A couple more with bumper wheels (but waiting on the Muddy Dog buff before submitting any techs with those on). I've done a bunch more with GSO, also been building in the manufacturing parts - greatly under-used on enemies currently.

"GSO Lv2 Straddler2"
GSO Lv2 Straddler2.png
Will only tackle gentle hills, but then it's grade 2 GSO blocks only, so it couple potentially spawn very early in campaign. And maybe the Bumper wheels will get a small buff too...? Initially meant as a double sized version of my GSO Lv1 ShrubShaker (already accepted on the live stream).

"GSO Lv3 Manufragture"
GSO Lv3 Manufragture.png

A fun one; functional crafting base, but also somewhat viable as an early-ish game opponent. A modest sprinkle of firepower from the little canons. Decent speed and hill climb with fan assist. Not great ground clearance, but can bump up sharpish terrain transitions with a bit of speed.

"GSO Lv4 MobileCraft1"
GSO Lv4 MobileCraft1.png
I'm not sure about submitting this. It's very cut down, literally just a low level crafting base on wheels. No attack/defence and fairly weak on slopes, but OK clearance. Might be OK as a novelty spawn, but there's already my previous submission for that - similar, but multi-purpose too.

I'm wondering if the game stores a separate list techs for 'defend the tech' missions...? Because this would be fine for that; perfect, as it could then even be anchored and used by a curious player. Maybe a gateway into actually using crafting... :rolleyes: (Or just send to inventory for crafting parts, why not.)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
So, I really got into misusing Component Factories as primary structural elements of techs. They're 'common' and cheap at around half the price of a small canon, so why not? :p;) Not sure how much damage they can take though...? (I'm doubtful it would be equal to the equivalent bulk of 1-blocks.)

"GSO Lv3 ComponentCar"
GSO Lv3 ComponentCar.png
Cheeky little thing. Cheap and manoeuvrable. It'd be cool to get this (mid-game onwards) in place of a more generic little starter-tech trash mob.

"Instructions Unclear"
Instructions Unclear.png
Hope this one doesn't look too crippled... Mostly a joke. Spawns in sideways; had to be made like this to get the refinery and auto-miner like that in the back. Fine on gentle hills. Dusting of canons, guns and lasers. Bubbles deliberately stagger, for effect. Only has 2 batteries, so weak.

"GSO Factory Mitosis"
GSO Factory Mitosis.png
My favourite of this batch. It could be a decent early-mid game brawler, with ranks of side facing lasers. Not enough torque for the weight, really, so best only on grass and salt. Decent number of batteries stashed inside though. Bisected by an awesome bendy conveyor line, stocked with a decorative necklace of resources from two feeder lines at the top. Doesn't seem to trip much on chunks passing underneath.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
So, I made this one before the last batch, but it's only just become viable with the buff to the new GSO wheels (particularly the Muddy dogs). The front wheels are pretty much overloaded and so the thing easily slips sideways on a slope, but I like the look, and it's a truck, so perhaps it would drive like one (don't bother trying a 3-point turn on a narrow road:p;)).

"GSO Lv3 Craft Truck"
GSO Lv3 Craft Truck.png
(Oh, and cool; just noticed that the Grabbit models store the suspension extension of those wheels. I wonder if snapshots do that in general too...?)

Of course it can be anchored and the payload at the back is a functional crafting base that can scrap, refine and make blocks with level 1 dongle components.

While I'm posting here, I'll drop in my entry for Community Core too, for future reference, seeing as Ade and Greg weren't adding any to population today.

"Big Suze"
Big Suze.png
Curiosity and Enemy: "Big Suze"

Add to population only if the EXP Monster Truck wheels will automatically turn into the full Venture versions when they are released - please ask the team.:)
View attachment 16081

Suzie Vroom's bigger, even more beautiful sister...? Her eyes burn with a a fierce determination to win races. Or is that jet exhaust?!; [Shift]+[Forwards] to wheelie even more.

I attempted to make an exact replica of the new Venture grade 1 licence quest NPC after finding out about her in this thread. Then was compelled to make a double dimension version on realising the monster truck wheels were just right (and with the Peep Show reference going around in my head).

Please correct me on my replica build, or send me a better screenshot of her... errm, rear end; I couldn't quite make it out from the one Video I've been able to find of her (is it actually an upside-down GSO hub wheel there?). (Replica also attached here for reference/fun.)