New Population-Techs from Techies for Techies

Chrii_the_Vieh

Hi fellow Terratechnicians,

brilliant, you found your way here!

This thread is dedicated to gather all your great tech-designs for the population of TerraTech.
(it is not yet aknowlegde by the devs or in any way official)

You ask me why? You ask why not submit them in the community core? You ask me how?

The main idea is to spice up the enemy population with all the brilliant designs, that you awesome builders can come up with.
Nowadays, one mostly encounters mixed-corporation-techs, with lots of weapons and shields/healing, that look like bricks with wheels in different sizes. This is a bit boring, so help changing it for more fun.

This thread is in no way supposed to conflict with community core, please do not mistake it for that and please keep submitting there. Here is no place for: multitechs, flyer, moving-bases, overpowered monsters, artistic-builds, useless-machines or similar fun. This is serious buisness! ;)

Which techs should be submitted here? Simple! Just follow these five tips:

- use 90%+ blocks from one corporation only

(use of other corporations blocks should only be considered if no alternative of the founding corporation is available)
YES - some GSO ranged-weapons on a GeoCorp-tech
NO - use Venture-batteries on a GSO-tech

- consider the purpose of this corporation
(GeoCorp has big miners, Venture fast race-techs,...)
YES - a Hawkeye-tech that looks dangerous and heavy armoured
NO - a big bulky cube of Venture-blocks spiked with weapons

- don't go too big
(the game starts with tiny techs and some players don't even reach the monster-stage of TT)
YES - techs in different sizes fitting the stages of the game while "main-missions" run
NO - Grade 5 weapons on a tiny tech; or huge techs in general

- don't be boring
(use different weapons, wheels, exotic-blocks in your design, but don't go crazy)
YES - variety and blocks, which are rarely used (consider grade of block to size of tech)
NO - a lot of GSO-one blocks to build a structure of a big tech

- tech should be useful and balanced
(able to move in terrain, no tipping over, not too strong - nor too weak)
YES - care for ground-clearance and wheel-support
NO - overloaded wheels or top heavy tumblers

Too complicated? You need an example? Here we go:

no, No, NO, NONONONONO!

NiepeMovingBase.png
Nice design for a moving base, but do you really want to see this as an standard enemy in the game?

Yes, that's the way to do it!

MiniCrabsterV1.png
A tiny GeoCorp miner with some GSO-weaponry for self-defense.

BattleTankV2.png
Hawkeye means army-techs that pack a punch.

The techs will be tested and jugded by various TT-players from the community (in @DerNiepe 's live streams for example, or by comments in this thread).
Good designs will be collected in a creative-save and handed over to the devs sooner or later to be added in the population (if they consider to do so) (which I don't know, why not :p ).

Feel free to hand in as many techs as you want, but please do not flood the tread with posts.
So, if you are creative and design a lot, which you want us to test, please put those techs in a creative save and submit the file here.

Let us see, what you awesome people can do for the enemy-population!
(and let us know what you think about that idea)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
The main idea is to spice up the enemy population with all the brilliant designs, that you awesome builders can come up with.
Nowadays, one mostly encounters mixed-corporation-techs, with lots of weapons and shields/healing, that look like bricks with wheels in different sizes. This is a bit boring, so help changing it for more fun.
Absolutely. One of my main criticisms of the campaign (as of 0.7.5) is the lack of well curated enemy tech designs. As you say, predominantly bubbled bricks covered in guns, or janky little GSO starter trash; only rarely does one see something that makes you go "cool!", like the funky designs in the main menu brawls.

We need more theatrical tech opponents!

I think their firepower should generally be toned down, and their robustness doesn't have to be high; having blatant weak spots can be cool; anything to make them more memorable. Form should always be married to function as closely as possible, but whimsy and style should be primary. (My thoughts, anyway.)

Of course there's no reason to make such artful design in campaign, since you don't want to be loosing valuable parts, so the battery brick is almost always best. That's why this kind of thing is a great idea, for a start. Anyway, I put my mouse clicks where my mouth is, and knocked out a couple of little jobbees, for fun.

GSO Gorilla Mini 1a (Level 3):

Venture Spider 1 (Level 3):

Feel free to remix these (with credit given), or give me suggestions; I'm not exactly a master designer.

Technicalities wise. Am I right in thinking that the techs need only have a regular cab to be valid as an enemy? Is there any benefit to including an AI cab too?

Also, is there a more accessible list of the level of blocks than using the wiki's crafting page and clicking through to each block individually? (Could really do with filters in game's inventory, heh.)

And is there really no point making small techs with high level parts/weapons on? (I love that reidiculous main-menu tech with one megaton canon, that knocks itself over each time it fires!:D) Wouldn't they be deployed against players of high level driving a small tech? Also, is there any more (semi-official) detail on the enemy spawning algorithm, and block drop calculations?

Attachments

Last edited:

Chrii_the_Vieh

I think their firepower should generally be tones down, and their robustness doesn't have to be high; having blatant weak spots can be cool; anything to make them more memorable. Form should always be married to function as closely as possible, but whimsy and style should be primary. (My thoughts, anyway.)
Fully agreed!

Nice designs so far. We might do a first round through the design in @DerNiepe 's livestream on monday, as we lack some techs for a Sumonday.

Please keep those block-grades in mind when building designs. It is very important for the selection of enemies in your game, so you want to match size and used blocks.

Here are three GSO-designs from my side:

GSO_G1_NoseDrillV1
GSO_G1_NoseDrillV1.png

GSO_G2_PushPowerV1
GSO_G2_PushPowerV1.png

GSO_G3_GotYaGoodV1
GSO_G3_GotYaGoodV1.png

All of them are grade-specific (no blocks from higher grades used) and I hope they are not too strong for their time of appearence in the game.
It was a lot of fun to search for some of the rarely used blocks from each grade and arrange the design about those blocks. Try it! Keep those techs coming!

Nocallia

Administrator
Is there a tech limit?
Edit: Forgot to read a part

Here are a few techs that are Grade 1 for their respected corps:

GSO GRADE 1: Plough Pal
Plough Pal.png
A Tech that is a bit more tanky then other grade 1 techs, but doesn't pack as much weaponry as others.

GEO GRADE 1: Too Many Wheels:
Too Many Wheels.png
With a slightly more innovated design, it is mostly still just a tech, but it can show some ways to use blocks that most don't really know.

VEN GRADE 1: Terry (I am not the most creative at names)
Terry.png
This tech is mostly just a regular Grade 1 Venture Tech. Nothing too special about it.

-Baconus

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Did you tested the AI is going well with this angled design?
The AI seems to cope, at least. That's why my snapshots are in R&D (can't make enemies in cretive mode, right?). Turning is fairly sluggish anyway, though, with too much weight for just 4 hub wheels. But it's pretty tanky, and I really wana see new angles and shapes in techs. You'll see for yourself, though, right? ;)

Most irritating is that the hub wheels, alone, are level 3, but the other's wouldn't fit what I was going for here. For level 3 Venture, the spider is going to be pretty squishy too, certainly verses missiles or megatons. But flames all over the place kinda looks scary, perhaps. Seems slightly weird that little Venture brackets are level 3, while large fuel tanks (requiring advanced components to craft) are level 1...

- use 90%+ blocks from one corporation only
Regarding this: yes, I'd like to see more purist techs and definitely fewer GSO guns/shields on GeoCorp base... But I would also appreciate some good hybrids, mash-ups, unexpectedly juxtaposed parts (that look cool). Will this not work with the spawning selection algorithms?

Anyway, have another tech!:) It's even more slanted than my previous GSO entry (but drives ok too, on the flat, at least) - GeoCorp Crane Lv2:

Attachments

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
is there a more accessible list of the level of blocks than using the wiki's crafting page
Ops! I've only today realised that the description when selecting a block from inventory also states the level... o_O:oops: So, utilised my new knowledge to make a pure level 1 Hawk Eye tech. Has every level 1 block except the regen bubble (which really should be at least level 2, I think).

HE HarasserB Lv1:

Aimed to get a bit of verticality on this, but had to scale the height down a block; unfortunately, I've found that the AI drivers are somehow easily able to flip vehicles that I simply can't, despite my best efforts. :confused: Are they permitted to turn wheels more tightly or apply some kind of extra cheating forces somewhere...?

Anyway, that's 1 submission for each faction now, which I think should do for now. Sorry, I should have waiting and posted them all together.:rolleyes::)

Attachments

Last edited:

Chrii_the_Vieh

I grabbed all techs for the stream in about an hour from now at DerNiepe twitch channel.
Thanks for all the designs, see you in the stream!

Everything submitted below will be stored for the next stream, so keep those techs coming.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
OK, so seems I lied; seem to have caught the building bug and made one or 2 more techs for each faction with grade 1 only blocks. I've attached a zip file of all of them, including all previous ones (I tweaked and renamed 'Gorilla' to 'Pug', and standardised the naming of the rest too). @DerNiepe, really do not worry about these new ones, presuming this is too last minute for you stream, you can do them next time, or whatever. :)
.... Oh, and yes, too late then, sorry @Chii_the_Vieh. No worries.

Edit: also, good luck with the stream, guys. I'll catch it later, as knackered and off to bed (very early).

Chrii_the_Vieh

Stream can be reviewed here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/159848686
Thanks for all the submission, let us know what you think about those techs.

We made a short list for the techs and categorized them as follows:

Redesign:
Arrow
Cruiser
GSO_G2_PushPowerV1

Suited as an enemy in TT:
Geo_G1_RoaminatorV1
Geo_G2_TwoArmsV1
Geo_G3_TerramineroV1
Geo Corp crane lv2
Mini gorilla
GSO_G1_NoseDrillV1
GSO_G3_GotYaGoodV1
HE HarasserB Lv1
medium tank
patrol boat
Plough Pal
Terry
Too many Wheels
Venture Spider

I hope you share your thoughts and keep this project running.
We are looking forward to some bigger techs as well.

@ZeroGravitas no zip in your post, make sure to upload it and we will show all your creations next time.

Lyons

Guess who's back. Back again
Thx guys. Arrow is still a work in progress and i will fix some problems. Arrow is op and I submitted it because there is no challenge from anything the game throws at me. Besides if you have a tech heavy with cannons like
wow.jpg
Then it is fairly easy to destroy. I have a gso cab on Arrow because That is how it started and the Hawkeye were to make it look better. The gso cannons are because hawkeye wont fit and venture was just because I wanted to spice it up