New Parts for "mega-techs"?

Does this idea seem balanced or game-breaking?

• Balanced

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Awful

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

iannn1790

I was thinking there should be some more specialized parts that consume power for command-vessel type techs. For instance, it would be fun to have a "drone factory" to be able to deploy small drones right from your tech without going into your inventory. In addition, it would be fun to have utility parts that are made to enhance a player's mobile command center. Like an optional docking bay to safely dock/repair smaller techs from a larger tech or stationary base. Does this seem like something that would fit into this game? Does anybody have other ideas?

burger1113

I would say if the individual drones weren't some kind of techs you can craft, it might not fit in too well with the theme of the game.
If AI defense drones were like a 3x3x2 block that we could craft with one attach point for small~medium weapon, that might be pretty cool.
I think you might have been thinking more of a 1 block size drone though. In that case, it would only make sense if it had pretty low tier weapons? If you made them and you could house them in some sort of a pod on a tech, that would be pretty awesome.
As much as I would think the flying bases are cool, I also think it kinda doesn't make sense to have a giant base floating around in an environment with earth-like gravity. That would require some kinda crazy high tech thruster or antigrav thing, which would sort of make all the other means of transportation obsolete. It makes sense the antigrav block has a huge power consumption, too.
Hover bug lets us do the spaceship thing now, but... it maybe isn't for the best.

Mindl3ss

Mindless Dominion Fleet Admiral
There is a Mod that can save a whole tech as a single block. You can store it as a block, then pull it off and deploy it. Something like a factory could use a similar mechanic to produce prefab techs. you would still need to deploy them, but they could be mass produced fairly easily. Again yeah, Mod i know, but im going under the basis that if any mod is well made enough, polished enough, free of major bugs, and is something the community and devs want, then it is a shoe in for the main game at some point. (First person cabs for instance, whitch might be getting put in at some point as of the Modded showcase stream).

Also on the note of Mega-techs, We really need some BIG parts. I mean BIG. Midwings and wingtips that are 10+ blocks to a dimension. Stacking bunches of tiny wings works, but looks like hell on a lot of my techs. same principal applies to wheels, Armor plates and bubble generators, even basic building blocks. We do have the massive GEO block, but im not to fond of yellow. (Picky Picky...)

Mindl3ss

Not going to happen. All kinds of bugs and problems with variable sized blocks. Theres a mod that already does this. we can modify nearly every aspect of a block in game with it and honestly, it cause more problems than solves. not that it's a bad idea. just already been tested.

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
I think something that might assist the drone idea is essentially a block that behaves like a reversible explosive bolt. Let it attach and detach at will. You could make carriers with dedicated bays for drones you designed, which can reattach themselves when they return from whatever mission they're performing.

Potato

Tinkerer of Titäns
I highly approve of this since I love building large Techs. But the devs tend to veer away from large parts because they don't want people to build large in general. Large Techs lag a lot, after all.

Mindl3ss

one of the reason large techs lag a lot is the number of individual blocks rendered. having massive scale blocks ought to cut down on the lag caused by having 30 or 40 individually moving wings and i dunno like a hundred turbines all spinning and not to mention the physics calculations for 200 gyros. having single BIG parts to replace the graphics and processor intensive rendering of many moving or physics objects and replaces it with rendering 1, which though more graphics intensive than a single small wing, is way less taxing than 20 of them.

We are actually starting to see this come into play. Fewer bigger wheels runs smoother than many small ones. by runs i mean the game, not the vehicle. Geocorp blocks tax the game much less than GSO blocks of the same size and configuration. for one there are no attach points being held together to process. BF parts seem more efficient because many of them are. Their wings are bigger, so you need less of them. the CPU has fewer tasks to focus on, so flight becomes smoother.

Last edited: