New Larger Silo Poll

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Zed, May 21, 2018.

?

Which of the following Proposed Silos would you like to see in game.

1. Venture 2x2 (40 Capacity)

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. Hawkeye 4x4 (160 Capacity)

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Hawkeye 5x5 (250 Capacity)

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. GeoCorp 4x4 (160 capacity)

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  5. GeoCorp 6x6 (360 capacity)

19 vote(s)
    67.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

Greetings All,

In keeping with the "need a new silo" thread I offer the following poll to canvas community support:

Soviet_Samuelson likes this.
  2. Potato

Potato Tinkerer of Titäns

I'm choosing the largest available. I think we can all agree that we're past subtlety when building big bases, yes?

ARES IV and Zed like this.
  3. BenBacon

BenBacon Founder Of Bacon, Inc

We already have a Venture 2x2

4. Mindlessmrawesome

Mindlessmrawesome Well-Known Member

but we already have a venture 2x2...

And why would hawkeye have a big silo? They're more about the combat, not the storage. Maybe the Hawkeye could be a 3x3, but 4x4 seems more geocorpy

5. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

Apologies for the Freudian slip evidenced by including an already-available option, were I able to modify the poll I would to have it read "Venture 3x3 : Capacity 90" along with adding a hawkeye 3x3 capacity 90 entry.

Regarding the Hawkeye option of 4x4 I figure that Hawkeye representing Military would prefer to have "professional grade" options alongside "consumer level" 3x3 which GSO already covers.

Think of it as the crafting equivalent of the difference in performance between GSO tracks and HE tank tracks.

BenBacon likes this.
  6. Deutsche Würfel

Deutsche Würfel I look good in this dress.

None. i want a 4x4x4 yellow cube that holds a thousand chunks, and does not render them.

ARES IV, Sea_Kerman, layer1 and 5 others like this.
  7. Soviet_Samuelson

Soviet_Samuelson Living in my pizza boxes because mom kicked me out

but it gains weight, a lot, while holding things (to prevent OPness)

8. Safrguns

Safrguns New Member

Vaults for storage, Silos for processing

9. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

With 11 Votes 60 hours into the poll the GeoCorp 6x6 silo is currently in the lead.

Awaiting 6x6 Silo:

Attached Files:

10. Deutsche Würfel

So what? Solves nothing. Just a reskin of existing ones.

ifnotthe2nd likes this.
  11. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

6x6 silos will permit additional versatility and opportunity to use alternator / filter conveyors along with simplifying existing bases. (ex. a single silo being able to store the entire contents of a GeoCorp Compressed resource block)

Soviet_Samuelson and ifnotthe2nd like this.
  12. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

I'd go for a GC 4x4, to match their 4x4 collector. While HE 3x3 probably, to match their 3x crafting parts.

4x4 is 16 input/output attach points, so enough for one Filter set to each resource type (either raw or refined only), plus a couple generic in/out Filters. I've wanted this previously to make a distributing task neater, for example.

I think 6x6 would be too much. Many people's PCs would have slowdown from just that one being full. Plus it would look messy, with the internal columns being virtually inaccessible. Also, resources switching out across it's width looking weird, maybe creating emergent problems like dropping resources when the tech isn't anchored and they are collidable, for example. Perhaps if the stack height was limited to 5, rather than 10...?

Edit: I might even take the 3x3 away from GSO...:eek: (From my current playthrough, I don't feel they need it, and GC is easy to level up, anyway, if you're into resource harvesting.)

#12 ZeroGravitas, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  13. Deutsche Würfel

Same issue. doesn't matter whether it's 20 silos, or one ginormous one. rendered chuncks=lag.

Soviet_Samuelson and ifnotthe2nd like this.
  14. ifnotthe2nd

ifnotthe2nd Well-Known Member

Perhaps the current silos could be renamed as "distribution panels" and their stack height reduced to 3 this would make adding GeoCorp 6x6 "distribution panels" seem like a better idea then it currently is...

A new set of silo blocks could be introduced that didn't render their contents... but how would we know what was in them?

Sorry but this sounds to OP...

15. Deutsche Würfel

Why? What do you gain by forcing people to build a huge laggy base in order to have a base that cna manufacture larger blaocks?

16. Zorgomol

Zorgomol Not a Number

I'm fairly sure that actual rendering is one of the smaller lag causing problems with resource chunks, compared to the overall object overhead that comes with Unity and physics. I don't know how much TT uses instanced rendering but that is going to be a must-have to have anywhere reasonable framerates on console platforms anyway.

From gameplay perspective, while I'm vaguely titillated by the idea of a humongous silo with heaps of resources I think it might also trivialize crafting bases to the point of being boring. With a 6x6 silo for instance you can just make one big merry-go-round conveoyr around it and stick all the crafty bits to it, and never have to think about logistics any more. Sure you can do that already but only up to a point. 4x4 with a stack height of 5 should be enough.

What I'd actually like to see is a 2x4x2 GC single-resource silo that can hold up to 180 and if it gets full, will eject a GC resource block and leave 60 resources still in. That would be much more interesting than a solve-all-your-problems-hallelujah megasilo.

17. ifnotthe2nd

ifnotthe2nd Well-Known Member

Perhaps they could just slap a "fullness" gauge on the side like they have on the autominers, and have a little inventory UI pop up when the silo is right clicked...

I don't think this game is trying to be that big on logistics...

I would love to see some logistic blocks added for those of us who would like to automate just these kinds of processes...

18. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

https://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?threads/black-list-filter-and-t-junction.11688/#post-83424

Among other posts; common suggestions have been
    "pull" filter (put at the end of the conveyor and have it act as a fabricator for that specific block type)
    "All but" filter which would simplify setups regarding fuel blocks immensely.
    Filter settings to differentiate between the four tiers of components.

harpo99999 likes this.
  19. Epb7304

Epb7304 Well-Known Member

maybe not a thousand but 500.

20. Khaine

Khaine Well-Known Member

Take into consideration that you don't really need ginormous silos, just some intelligent design choices at your base. Brute force silo storage just lags up the game for those who choose to use it.