New form of block management

awesome13579135

Jun 12, 2017
Before I begin, realize that this is my first post, so please understand that the formatting might be a little off. Thanks!

So, I was thinking about the SCU one day and thought, "Why can't blocks be stored in the same way as resources? " After this thought had wandered into my mind, I began to formulate some concepts for new blocks, mechanics, and improvements that could potentially change the game for the better. Let me know what you think!

First off, the new conveyor. This conveyor would be larger than most, potentially 2x2x1, or 1x2x2. It, like the rest of these parts, would belong to either Reticule research or GeoCorp. This conveyor would be capable of transporting blocks, but with a catch: you can't just drag any old block onto the conveyor, silly! It has to be compressed first! There would also be filters and alternator versions of this conveyor.

This is where the Block Compressor/Expander comes into play. Basically, if a loose block is in the compressor's range, it will suck it in, regardless of corporation, and compress it into a mini 1x1x1 version of itself. Then, it can be transported and stored with the rest of the blocks in a lag-free and neat way. But what if you want to get the blocks back out? If you try to drag a block out of a storage unit (We will get to that later), you cannot use it immediately, unless said block is 1x1x1 by default. Instead, it will show as "Compressed [Block name]". The block compressor can also take in compressed blocks just like a normal resource reciever. Well, that's great and all, but how do you un-compress it? Introducing the Block Expander! This high tech unit will bring up a GUI when right clicked, allowing you to select any block or blocks that are stored in the base, and expand them back to normal size, ready to be used again. Think of the block compressor like a resource receiver, and the block expander like a resource dropper.

But wait, now that we have all these compressed blocks, where do we put them? Well, turn your attention to the Block Storage unit! There really isn't much to say about this one, except that it is pretty much like a resource storage, only for blocks. However, what happens when you reposition the storage? I don't have a clear answer to this problem, but I would assume that to prevent lag, the blocks would either move with the storage, or the storage would not be allowed to move until empty. Approaching character limit, Part 2 is in the comments!

awesome13579135

Jun 12, 2017
All of this is fine and dandy, but you may be asking, "Why would I need any of this? I have my good friend the SCU to store all of my blocks, and I can use them where ever I am. " Well, with these new changes, now you can automate and assemble! Introducing the Tech Fabricator! The fabricator will basically serve as the "Summon a tech you have saved" feature, only for lower level players (We will cover that later). The fabricator will show a list of techs and allow you to use the blocks in the storage units to build it. In the future, when the AI becomes more fleshed out, imagine this: You tell the fabricator to build a GSO miner MK 1, and when it does, it immediately heads for the nearest resource thing (Tree, rock, crystal) and starts digging, then returns to the base and drops off the resource. This is only the tip of the AI iceberg, imagine the possibilities!

Anyways, there is one more machine I have to share with you. The Tech scrapper. It actually isn't as scary as you would think, and has safeguards keeping it from sucking in your precious vehicle. Basically, the scrapper has a radius projection on the ground that is always showing (can be toggled on and off in the GUI). When you right click on the scrapper, it will show a list of unanchored, allied techs in the radius. Even if only a few blocks of a giant tech are in the radius, it will show up. Once you click on the tech you want to scrap, it will
show you a list of what blocks are in the tech, and whether or not you have enough storage space to hold the blocks. Once you click "[SCRAP]", it will give a pop up warning, saying "Are you sure that you want to scrap this tech? Make sure you snapshot it in case you want it back!" After choosing yes, the tech is pulled in, maybe with this cool vortex animation with all the blocks disconnecting (not in real time) and swirling into the scrapper. After that, the tech's blocks will come out one by one, all nice and compressed. This would be fantastic for recycling techs that you don't need, and repurposing them into something else.

Lastly is how this will impact campaign mode and the SCU. You will be happy to know that this would be completely optional, and the SCU will still function normally, and be unlocked at the same time. However, when you are introduced to the new block things, they are given to you by, oh I don't know, maybe a GeoCorp robot called something like Crafty Joe or Crafty Jim.

Anyways, those are just some of my thoughts and ideas, let me know if you like them or not, and if you have anything to add to them. Thanks!

P

Pink Kitty

blocks used tyo be stored that way.
It caused problems when moving stuff around, and eventually the SCU was created to fix it.

They looked at shrunken blocks, and decided the SCU was easier & better.

tech scrapper: stuff it in the SCU. Pump blocks from SCU to scrapper. Done.
Add a scrap magnet, and it can automate 30 blocks per magnet.

These are not bad ideas at all.
Just that there are better ways either now, or planned.

There is a mass scrap/sell function planned for the SCU at some point.
Not sure when.