New Concept Blocks for each Corporation

Which of these four blocks would you wish to see added to TerraTech First?

• The GSO Scale

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • The Venture Bracket Anchor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Hawkeye Mortar

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • The GeoCorp Resource Catapult

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Other (Reply Below)

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
Venture Wind Turbine:
Sure, a vertical style turbine. More compact volume footprint. Not sure about Venture assignment, if they have their dynamo generator anyway. Although a small wind turbine might be a logical alternative/complement... A big vertical number would look quite heavy-duty, industrial for GeoCorp. I think it OK that they already have the geothermal generator too; infrastructure can be a forte for them, why not.

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
From what I've tried recently (mostly with GC scoops mounted sideways), the resources just pass straight through the bucket, disappointingly. Only the teeth on the tip had useful collisions.

I'm thinking of a them in a snow plough-like configuration: ground clearance is going to be a more major issue with bigger ploughs, so have them hydraulically lowered into ploughing position - on space bar (currently), on assignable action when the controls update hits. Would also allow lifting the tech up a little more easily, when mounted to a tech lower down (so, a 2 block lowering travel). Maybe act as a handbrake/stabiliser if actions become toggleable.
Essentially a reverse GeoCorp Scoop where the firing (spacebar action) would lower the articulating half of the block into plow position. Sounds like a good block to me and would replace my Hazard Armor solution by the sounds of it.

I'm not sure about this. It would definitely be fun to toss resources about.:) It would enable a bunch of fun builds, I think.:D

In terms of practicalities, I'm not convinced; I think it might be a bit too creative for mainstream player use in campaign. And obviously GeoCorp need a orbital delivery canon, anyway (which I'd expect soonish - bigger, and identical functionality to GSO's, for now).

The main thing is that we need to see what direction the devs are going to go with optimising out the frequent frame-rate killing issue with auto-miner backloged resource piles: if cut-down mining base simulation-at-distance were to become a thing, I imagine it not being able to include full physics around each base. More likely just a crafting base conveyor simulation only (but who knows). Hence a device like your proposal wouldn't function there, causing confusion/frustration.
The proposed resource cannon would have a median range of roughly 30 block-lengths; just a way to transfer resources from tech to tech with some distance involved and would provide some modicum of amusement during the crafting aspect of Terratech.

Since the motion of catapulting objects has been incorporated into the new GSO trading stations the trajectories are already coded into game and this resource catapult would in no way interfere with any prospective delivery cannon blocks or any welcome reworks to how autominer's handle their "off-screen" time

Like with any other block, its existence would not necessitate its usage by the player within any game-mode.

Sure, a vertical style turbine. More compact volume footprint. Not sure about Venture assignment, if they have their dynamo generator anyway. Although a small wind turbine might be a logical alternative/complement... A big vertical number would look quite heavy-duty, industrial for GeoCorp. I think it OK that they already have the geothermal generator too; infrastructure can be a forte for them, why not.
My hunch is that the wind turbine would be relatively easy to code by comparison with the dynamo regenerative power block despite both ultimately being dependent on friction. To be clear I am not attempting to propose giant propellors on brackets but a sleeker design similar to these

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
My hunch is that the wind turbine would be relatively easy to code by comparison with the dynamo regenerative power block despite both ultimately being dependent on friction.
It would be relatively simple, minimal coding, to just drop in a model, like you show, and have it generate a flat rate of power. Sure. Fine for an EXP block. Although, I'd expect the devs would want to have it interact with (future) weather effects too, for a polished end result.:)

GSO Scale block:
I'm interested, but not sure about using it like a real world set of digital scales; I think players might prefer a slicker alternative that reports the mass of the entire tech it's connected too. In a similar way to radar/altimeter/EXP charge meter (did you mean this in your OP?).

I think individual block weights might be added to the game's internal Wiki, or at least the external wiki. Certainly we have the means of measuring them and most of the data already: https://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?threads/block-weight-and-simple-block-scale.3962/

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
It would be relatively simple, minimal coding, to just drop in a model, like you show, and have it generate a flat rate of power. Sure. Fine for an EXP block. Although, I'd expect the devs would want to have it interact with (future) weather effects too, for a polished end result.:)
Agreed, hence why the OP stated that the block (at least for the interim) should use a sliding scale to determine power generated on tech elevation while anchored as a placeholder modifier until a more robust weather system can be conceptualized and introduced.

I'm interested, but not sure about using it like a real world set of digital scales; I think players might prefer a slicker alternative that reports the mass of the entire tech it's connected too. In a similar way to radar/altimeter/EXP charge meter (did you mean this in your OP?).
Not specifically what I meant however the method you suggest would probably be easier to code / display within the current framework and would theoretically be able to "weigh" any block with an attach point which would satisfy the general intent.

I think individual block weights might be added to the game's internal Wiki, or at least the external wiki. Certainly we have the means of measuring them and most of the data already: https://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?threads/block-weight-and-simple-block-scale.3962/
Creating a multi-tech balance scale is currently possible however that type of scale requires reference weights as demonstrated in the proffered thread and therefore brings other topics into consideration such as the GeoCorp magnet's description stating "it weighs 22 tons alone" ...

The scale block to determine the overall weight of any tech / block to which it is attached would be closer to the intent of the suggestion as opposed to a multi-tech balance which could not hope to "split the difference" between whether a Venture 1 block is 4 or 5 times more massive than a Venture LED (just a guesstimate, I have not attempted this)

Reactions: ZeroGravitas