New Block Suggestions (which don't require new code)

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
These are a lot of miscellaneous ideas, but all are minor things which shouldn't require much, if any, code work. The foundational code should already be available elsewhere in the game and they each would have a meaningful impact on the ability to be creative. I have no illusions that these will be implemented, but hopefully it will get ideas churning.

1. Window blocks/panels.
Been suggested before by me and others. I want to keep the idea circulating though. Click on the thumbnails to see what I had in mind for Hawkeye. These are purely cosmetic, and extend the style of the corp. They are in the same style as the cab windows, illuminating at night.

1566102327892.png 1566102337228.png

2. Ballast blocks
This block is that I want the most. Very simple, a 2x1x1 block with attachment points on all sides, which has either a tuneable weight (similar to the trim gyro control) or is just really heavy. At minimum 12 mass units. 16 would be better. Seriously, Devs, this is suuuuper easy to implement. Just give us two plain EXP 2x1x1 body blocks with weights 8 and 16 units respectively. This would be invaluable in balancing airships, helicopters, and hovercrafts.

3. Train bearings (or turret bearings)
This has been discussed a bit before, too. These are block pairs, like the EXP axles/bearings; really very similar. I suggest two sizes - a 3x3x1 and a 4x4x2. The base attaches to the main tech, and has a portion that rotates to track enemies, the same as a gun turret (like the megaton). The top half simply sockets into to the base firmly. You're still responsible to make a turreted multi-tech, but instead of doing a hatchet-job with a shotgun turret or HG1 cannon, it's a pair of blocks which does this on purpose. No new coding is needed, just use the turret tracking code for the base, and some careful geometry.

4. Navigation Computer
I would think this should belong to hawkeye, but essentially this is a block intended to be embedded inside a tech which provides a speedometer and altimeter. Very simple, but I'm always annoyed by the empty holes with BF speedometers inside that show through on the corners of my hawkeye techs. This block would also be ideal for enabling a map if and when that becomes available. You could make something similar for energy and fuel (preferably which displayed actual numbers instead of pips).

5. Trailer Cab
Another simple idea, though I don't know if you could implement it without modifying the wheel code. Basically, it's a GSO cab which changes the behavior of all wheels attached to a tech to "trailer" wheels. You can't make a Semi-truck in TT without using the EXP trailer wheels. That seems silly to me. This would simply turn off steering and torque of attached wheels, allowing them to spin freely if pulled or pushed. The Trailer Cab takes precedent over AI cabs, disabling an AI tech's ability to drive itself, but allowing it to fire while unmanned. If a tech has both a Trailer Cab and an AI, if placed in guard/follow mode, the turrets will still track and fire at enemies, but the wheels' steering and power will be disabled, preventing the trailer from flying off all kamikaze trying to chase down an enemy. It could behave the same way with hover pads, essentially disabling vectored steering (though a stab-computer would still take precedent).

What are your ideas (which don't require new code)?

Last edited:

BenBacon

Founder Of Bacon, Inc
Honestly I think that blocks like the turret bearings and hinges should be able to be placed as one block and then split because it would allow for both easy multi-techs and general convenience instead of removing block and placing it back etc.

This is probably incompatible with the current however and I have no idea if this would require too much change to be possible but it would be really useful if implemented

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Honestly I think that blocks like the turret bearings and hinges should be able to be placed as one block and then split because it would allow for both easy multi-techs and general convenience instead of removing block and placing it back etc.

This is probably incompatible with the current however and I have no idea if this would require too much change to be possible but it would be really useful if implemented
This is a good idea - basically building in an explosive bolt? I don't think it would be too difficult, as long as the geometry was carefully built.

Captain Load

The turret block could just be a modified form of AI turret which we've had for ages. I've been thinking for a long time that it would be nice if some of the medium and large weapons were changed to fixed forms and required turrets for aiming. I'd expect to see medium, large and very large turrets as well that became much tougher with size but also slower-turning. This would create interesting questions like whether to put a medium weapon on a medium turret or a pair of smaller weapons on it instead.