Nerf the terminals

Helios

Also known as He Who Forgets Passwords
Seriously. They are ruining the campaign mode.

In the beginning, the campaign was full of fun.

Looting parts from defeated enemies is fun. Questing and obtaining rewards is fun. Building factory and watch it run smoothly is fun.

And then you got the terminals. Yes it is convenient, but at what cost? The FUN. They took all the fun away from you.

Sure, you got all the blocks you need, built that tech of your dream, and had a good time playing with it for a while... until eventually, you got bored with it.

At this point, what else can you do? Looting, questing, crafting... all pointless in the face of the terminals. There is no progression anymore.

Even if you still want to go out there and explore, there's this invisible voice from the back of your mind that reminds you "There's nothing better out there. There's nothing more to gain out there. Everything you want, everything you'll ever need, is right here, at the terminal."

If you play TerraTech for designing techs, from that point on you'll probably just stay in Creative/R&D. But if you play for the campaign, then it's time to quit TerraTech for good.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

My proposal:

Terminals still sell blocks in unlimited quantity, but only blocks from the "Standard Blocks" category, plus Tier 2 blocks from GSO and Tier 1 blocks from other factions. This allows basic building blocks, usually needed in large quantity and too tedious to craft, to be obtained from terminals. Everything else has to be looted, crafted, or bought from trading stations (put that racing tech to some good use!).

P.S. This suggestion is for single player only. There is no crafting in multiplayer, terminals are the only reliable source of high tier blocks as of now.

Last edited:

warbrand2

I highly disagree with this whole post.

You don't have to use the terminal's don't like them, scrap them and make your own things. They are not required. And for some of us they help more then they hurt. Like I wouldn't be able to work on my large bases with out them.

That and it will always be cheaper to craft then to buy. IT just takes more time.

YaYYeeT

Tactical Boredom Mode activated
Just not blocks without exotic components and stuff like that. It's always fun to go AFK for 15mins making tons of BS cannons.

Helios

Also known as He Who Forgets Passwords
I highly disagree with this whole post.

You don't have to use the terminal's don't like them, scrap them and make your own things. They are not required. And for some of us they help more then they hurt. Like I wouldn't be able to work on my large bases with out them.

That and it will always be cheaper to craft then to buy. IT just takes more time.
Same, I used them a lot to build my techs, including several flying mobile bases.

Then I realized I don't really use those bases anymore. Whenever I need something I just fire up the terminals.

Indeed crafting is cheaper, but who cares about the price tag when you have more than 10m+ BB from mining Erudite.

And please note, this is not a matter of buying vs crafting. It's buying vs why bother keep playing the campaign.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Let me put it this way. Recently I've been playing another game that coincidentally shares a similar name: Terraria.

I think pretty much everyone have played or at least heard of this game. Much like TerraTech, you explore the map, fight enemies, collect loots, mine for materials, upgrade gears, fight bosses for better loot, explore more dangerous areas of the map, fight increasingly harder bosses, and eventually fight the hardest bosses for the most powerful equipment in the game. The entire experience is nothing but fun.

Now imagine if every single piece of equipment in Terraria, including the most powerful ones, are sold by the merchant from mid-game onward. That's exactly what the terminals do in TerraTech.

Sure, you can ignore the shop and get them the hard way, but you will be doing it for the sake of doing it. Most sane, logical players will grind for money and buy from the shop.

Last edited:

burger1113

Same, I used them a lot to build my techs, including several flying mobile bases.

Then I realized I don't really use those bases anymore. Whenever I need something I just fire up the terminals.

Indeed crafting is cheaper, but who cares about the price tag when you have more than 10m+ BB from mining Erudite.

And please note, this is not a matter of buying vs crafting. It's buying vs why bother keep playing the campaign.

Let me put it this way. Recently I've been playing another game that coincidentally shares a similar name: Terraria.

I think pretty much everyone have played or at least heard of this game. Much like TerraTech, you explore the map, fight enemies, collect loots, mine for materials, upgrade gears, fight bosses for better loot, explore more dangerous areas of the map, fight increasingly harder bosses, and eventually fight the hardest bosses for the most powerful equipment in the game. The entire experience is nothing but fun.

Now imagine if every single piece of equipment in Terraria, including the most powerful ones, are sold by the merchant from mid-game onward. That's exactly what the terminals do in TerraTech.

Sure, you can ignore the shop and get them the hard way, but you will be doing it for the sake of doing it. Most sane, logical players will grind for money and buy from the shop.
Yes. I think crafting is a vital part of the game and the terminal does make it quite obsolete... But there definitely are those who can't bother with the idea.
Nerfing the terminal too much would likely turn those people off.
One thing terraria has done is the research function in journey mode. Maybe we could get a similar thing implemented to terratech. If a person had more than 10 or 100 of a certain block during a playthrough, why not let them just get it with ease?

Last edited:

SUPER-TANK

Note: Terminals do not allow you to buy stuff you have not discovered yet. For new players they will still need to craft them. Even then, I still waste my life on harvesting resources because the extremely buggy crafting system eats my stuff all the time. Like just a few hundred of each resource block on venture isn't enough.