Multiplayer Idea: Capture the Component!

Is This a Good Idea?

• Not a Good Idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shouldn't be Done at All

• The Current Modes are Fine

• Total voters

Legionite

TAC Packing
May 20, 2017
[TAC HQ R&D]
forum.terratechgame.com
(This is best pursued after 1.0- I would rather have the better ideas and fixes in the game before this)
A new (not very)possible concept for a Multiplayer game mode in later development would put a "Red Team" against a "Blue Team"(Capture the Flag style) with prep time. The game begins after a countdown, signaling the beginning of Phase One:

Team Flags are special un-craftable components that change into a victory condition when they are sent into a "Victory Fabricator". There should be unique ones for each team to prevent win cheesing. The victory fabricators would only accept the opposing team's flag component as well.

Forts would be the bases for the teams and where the Team Flags are. There are two forts- one for Red Team, the other for Blue.

The Forts are not techs, but "monuments" that are made so that they look like a fort.(a monument with a "cave" that has at least 3 entrances)

The playing field is symmetrical- so both sides have fair ground.

There are gates in front of the starting positions(behind the forts). These begin as neutral techs, then when the game begins, they become the hostile techs so players can smash them open.

All forts have all normal corp fabs in them, as well as scrappers, component factories, refineries, and the only way to obtain power- an anchored furnace with batteries and 4 VEN Chargers. These are set to be neutral techs, but freely controllable in terms of the menus.

The Fort bases are not editable by the players, but they can be fully used.
The Forts each have their own Trading Station.

The Component to Capture is located in the forts, most likely at the top of it.

The Biome Areas would contain at least one of each biome (with re-spawning resources for small battlefields) to allow for full-spectrum tech crafting.

There is a Middle Divider that divides the world from the very top-left to the very bottom-right of the map.

The Beginning Player Techs would be similar to the campaign, but with tractor pads and better wheels(Modified Starter Techs?).

There would be a set world border, that would rather act as a invisible wall marked by lines on the ground, or like the borders in gauntlet, but with more error room.

There is a limit to the size of the tech, and that is slightly smaller than the smallest Fort entryway- in all dimensions. Currently it is 7x7x7.

In order to win, one team must Capture the Component 3 times.

Phase One: Harvesting
The players begin in by escaping the start, to go harvest some resources to upgrade their Techs. Enemies spawn at the top-left and bottom-left sides of the map, but cannot spawn or follow the players into their forts.

Phase Two: Construction
The players are free to continue harvesting while the build warning is sounded. The players can also build before the warning. It is a warning to those who haven't built up their techs yet.

Phase Three: Attack!
The Middle Divider disappears, and the battle commences. Techs have unlimited respawns, but they spawn only as the Modified Starter Tech. The first team to grab the other team's unique component "flag" wins.

Problems:
The game can get asymetrical over time- one team gets more blocks while the other loses them. This could be fixed by allowing the team that made the blocks to only have the control over those blocks.
Airborne Component Capture is overpowered- Maybe techs lose the component if they haven't touched the ground for awhile.
Flag Components stay where they are- The Flag Components de-spawn if they are left unintended for more than 30 seconds[and re-spawn back at their respective Flag Component spot].
RNG plays a role: The random hostile techs spawned could be dangerous.

Possible Suggestions:
What do you think should be the length of the periods?
How big should the battlefield be in total?

Picture below.

Last edited:

Legionite

TAC Packing
May 20, 2017
[TAC HQ R&D]
forum.terratechgame.com
Lore for this:

One day in between two neighboring large tech brotherhoods, the techs were researching a weapon with the destructive capacity to mine out an entire asteroid field. One side made the Matter Disfiguration Laser, while the other made a Molecular Deconstructor. Both sides were missing an extremely rare crucial component in their making, and they spied on each other until they saw the component they needed- in the same day, but in the opposing tech's territory! They vowed war on each other to obtain the components they need for their weapons.

This is when the battle takes place.

Last edited:

watlingj

Dec 7, 2014
Not sure if you outright said this, but i think a world border would be essential for something like this, so that you can't just have one team member take your flag and fly off into the distance, thereby making it impossible to lose, either that or you'd have to make it so that a team can only reset the position of their own flag, and not move it. but still, i feel like a world border would make this concept much more viable.

Legionite

TAC Packing
May 20, 2017
[TAC HQ R&D]
forum.terratechgame.com
Not sure if you outright said this, but i think a world border would be essential for something like this, so that you can't just have one team member take your flag and fly off into the distance, thereby making it impossible to lose, either that or you'd have to make it so that a team can only reset the position of their own flag, and not move it. but still, i feel like a world border would make this concept much more viable.
Oops, forgot about that- fixing it.

Reactions: Soviet_Samuelson

Legionite

TAC Packing
May 20, 2017
[TAC HQ R&D]
forum.terratechgame.com
This is the prototype base for use in the Forts, as well as the centralized Modified Starter Tech:
ModifiedStarterTech.png
It has pretty much everything(except the delivery cannon setup).

Now, before you say anything- yes that is a tiny aircraft with a railgun strapped to it[- it ironically handles quite well in the sky]. (It was also used to find the building area.)

That and the magnet are made from converted techs to hasten the making of this prototype by acting as very limited item movers (because my other techs are stored off my game to make tech menu navigation easier).

If you have any better ideas than this thing or a better compact base, then that could be used as a replacement for this mess.

The save with the base is below- the picture displayed is only linked to the Modified Starter Tech.

Attachments

Reactions: Masakari

Legionite

TAC Packing
May 20, 2017
[TAC HQ R&D]
forum.terratechgame.com
Here's the first level of the Prototype Fort:
Fort1.png
Green: Fort Base
Red: Possible Allowed Turret Locations?
Yellow: The Fort itself
VEN Brackets: Ignore these please

Scale: Currently the current scale. If changes are suggested, than it might change.

There would be a Tech chandelier inside on the roof.

If you have better ideas for a Fort, post them below!

Last edited:
Reactions: Masakari

Legionite

TAC Packing
May 20, 2017
[TAC HQ R&D]
forum.terratechgame.com
Before this concept can be real, the game would have already be past Terra Tech 1.0, and when multiplayer becomes fully-functional. Many other features would have to be present before this could even become reality.

Currently, this thread is just a wild fantasy that might disappear.

This thread, in the long run might end up being an idea- hopefully causing some inspiration, and ideas along the way. The best case scenario probably is this becoming a mod for multiplayer.

(I will still be posting new ideas to this, but somewhat infrequently.)

Last edited:

Legionite

TAC Packing
May 20, 2017
[TAC HQ R&D]
forum.terratechgame.com
Currently the game mechanics that this works off of aren't in the game yet.
(This is best pursued after 1.0- I would rather have the better ideas and fixes in the game before this)

Requirements:
- Max tech size limiters
- New specialized components
- New specialized base parts (the crafting, at least)
- Special victory conditions, and the victory animation?
- Restricted Tech placement positions
- Enemy AI movement blockers
- New specialized "monuments"
- Ways to move "Doodads"
- Various fixes to the Neutral Techs
- Block restrictions- May already be in the game, as evident in most of the game modes
- Incredible amounts of optimization. I am not kidding, this is going to lag like how big the Titan Wheels are in comparison to the Little Trekker Wheels.

stickman_king_28

You can call me bullet.
Dec 12, 2018
Around the corner
I WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT hmmm co op MP maybe?

Questions:
Can you craft payload terminals, then get a selling base running with components?
what can you collect the victory component with?
Can you tech switch?
Are SCU's allowed?
Are anchors allowed?
Can you make the ramp up to the top bigger for other techs?
What if there were corp-themed bases, or maybe small outposts?
Special game modes? such as Corp only, skybases, possibly super-tech power ups (become a super tech with several really good weapons, such as a megaton battery, HE bomber, hover fortress, etc.

Reactions: Soviet_Samuelson