Multiplayer Hosting / Serverside Permanent Ban Suggestion

Which Suggestions would you like to see implemented?

• Ban System (Kick/Day Bans/Perma Bans)

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • In-game Add-a-friend/steam link

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Coop User Permissions (Host/Safe Party/Blocked, ect.)

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

Krogoth

Lets start with the issue of human-element,

I've experienced this issue in a lot of co-op games, and I can't possibly be the only one; trolls and minges. They join your game, they start using up all your blocks and/or destroying them, spending all your money on the GSO single block, destroy bases for HQ capture quests, ect. The even bigger problem? You can only kick them, and they can just rejoin, and you have to sit there all day trying to kick them before they do more damage.

A Permanent Ban system needs to be implemented for those who host public co-ops, so people can enjoy the game.

I don't particularly care if the system is handled through SteamID or in-game, user/IP bans need to be a thing no matter what, with the way this game is designed it is very easy to ruin people's games, which takes the fun out of trying to regain all the money and stuff you lost.

TerraTech does not have any sort of Recently Played list or Add-A-Friend feature in game, that or I have missed it.

I assume the friends-only servers only apply to users you have added on steam, however, there is no direct way of adding someone from in-game unless you jot down their SteamID or name and manually add them. Players you have recently played with do not show up in Steam's Recent Played list, I have played with people that I'd have love to have added but needed to go and I couldn't find them manually.

Those are the two biggest glaring issues I currently have with the game in terms of co-op multiplayer and the ban system should've been a given, this is a sandbox game after all. Another alternative to a ban-system is to place user permissions like Host/Safe Party (Access to inventory/sell items)/Blocked (No access to inventory or allowed to buy/sell items, ect.)

Ry5

Yeah this is why I have my game set to friends only. I joined an open co-op game a while back when Co-op Campaign was new and the others were doing this. Blowing through the money like crazy on dumb stuff. I assumed it was griefing and dropped out. As soon as I saw that though I set the restriction to my game so that only steam friends could join.

It is a long, and fairly boring process (until refineries get added) to get money in Co-op Campaign so I would not be thrilled with someone wiping me out.

I'd rather have the option to leave my game open, just not have a shared inventory or shared wallet with the people that join, and at some point you can invite someone to your team then share.

On top of that I'd like the Co-op Campaign to have a PVP setting that is team based. If you check that box then, people can join and will be hostile and able to damage you and you damage them, but you can offer invites to your team.

Falchoin

I had a griefer join my late game co-op a couple weeks ago. They decided to spam out many of my more expensive items on the ground then move to let them despawn. After a couple warnings I ended up kicking them, to which they immediately rejoined. I ended up having to make the game friends only the rest of the play session. Extra tools for hosts to manage players are needed. Kicking has no meaning when the player can just rejoin.

A couple other suggestions... Cost limits set per player for their current tech plus spawned items, and only allow X number of items to be spawned and not attached to a tech

joseph racer

One person came on and ripped up the bottom of my tech almost destroyed the entire thing before i kicked him. It took about ten times before he finally gave up.

Falchoin

Thankfully the Modify Others Techs option is there. I just wish it wasn’t checked on every time co-op is started. I’d rather it remember the last state from the save, like it does for whether the game is public/friends only/private. Public campaign with modify others’ techs is just asking for trouble.

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Thanks for the feedback on this guys. It's really useful to get an insight into what kinds of experiences you're having in MP.

Server side/permanent banning is something we looked into implementing when first working on Multiplayer - but it comes with a lot more work and needing to comply with Steam terms of service. We considered implementing Steam's VAC system for this sort of thing, but that had a lot of negative feedback from users so we decided against it.

Unfortunately, this may be a problem for a while longer - until we are able to put serious time into extra tools for managing griefing in MP.

For now, maybe we should all just add each other on Steam and have a bunch of friendly TT forum community games? ;)