[Multi-Tech] R&D Bipedal Walker

How well do you think this walks?

• Total voters
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
Pretty much the title...
This requires R&D, so non-R&D users should ask @QuackDuck about their non-R&D version.

Pictures:

screen54.png
screen56.png
screen57.png
This took some time to accomplish and numerous attempts.
PNG coming soon (I still have to write the instructions).
Video may happen, depends on the time.
Feel free to comment below.

Last edited:
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
Tech PNG
MultiTechRandDWalker.png
Instructions:
1. Remove blue color block then switch to the Tech that was separated
2. Anchor the Tech, then proceed to align the bearings with the axles
3. Switch back to the Tech with the large GEO Corp blocks on it and press X
4. Switch to the other Tech (that is the one with the hover bug all over it) and press X
5. Remove green color block to release walker.

Feel free to build off of this prototype, but at your own risk due to EXP unstableness.

Masakari

Look at how hard it is to make mech legs in TT. Then take a look at Robocraft.
First off, Robocrafts mech legs are premade like the tank tracks and wheels (will be getting some premade legs when Legion arrives as they are walker/insect like if the corp photo is to be believed) so imo not a very good comparison/reference.

Second we don't have the proper tools to actually make the legs (pistons, gears, motors/actuators, universal controls/hotkeys to allow block operation for multi-grids) due to the basicness of Unity, and so we struggle with trying to work within the confines of what we have. The new MT blocks helps a lot towards this goal.

Third the issue TT/Unity has with collisions and multi grids (very hard thing to do as other building games that allow multi-grids are still tackling this problem).

Website
duckduckgo.com
Pretty much the title...
This requires R&D, so non-R&D users should ask @QuackDuck about their non-R&D version.

Pictures:

View attachment 17705
View attachment 17706
View attachment 17707
This took some time to accomplish and numerous attempts.
PNG coming soon (I still have to write the instructions).
Video may happen, depends on the time.
Feel free to comment below.
Judging purely from the screenshots, you walker already walks better than mine, which kneels and drags itself along the ground...
I will post the save here tonight, after I have improved the knee joints, they are too loose and might be the cause of some of the problems my walker has.

Website
forum.terratechgame.com
Judging purely from the screenshots, you walker already walks better than mine, which kneels and drags itself along the ground...
Meh, my walker does the same when it "trips"...:rolleyes:
Besides, it was walking in R&D with the added bonus of flat terrain...
But I do have to admit, the devs did a great job on the EXP bearings!

WHAT?!?!
Yours has articulated knees?!?!:confused:
Not to mention that it probably can walk on hills and stuff.
My EXP prototype runs off of a "wheel-drive" walking system...

Masakari

Yes, it has knees. Although it looks quite cool when walking, it can't support any weight, at least the current prototype can't.
Yea....that's what I was running into with my Scarab and why it had the training wheels (ugh). It can support the weight due to the leg lock on the hips and if the hover system is balanced.....but it tended to lean and shift around so I made those end hover techs to help with keeping that in check. But that didn't fix the sideways shifting though and I wasn't able to make a system (that top tech was supposed to be a stabilizer but didn't work right) to fix that due to interaction with phantom grid sections (assembly framework/scaffolding) of the leg assemblies.

Just too many issues that work against MTs right now especially when using hovers, but that don't mean I'm not gonna try :p:D.

Website
duckduckgo.com
Here is the Drunk Walker save, it walks better, has improved kneecaps and might move forward a bit, but still looks like it's drunk. You can try and control it with WASD, but it just sort of dances on its own. Certified Build Beam safe.

Load in Creative.

Might need some help improving it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
How about this?

Can kneel when stopping
Turn with A and D
Stops walking when you press space to point the drills at the rotating part
Shift to jump/recover from fall
Do not use Build Beam or rapid unplanned disassembly will happen!
[>Save above<]

If this is popular enough, then I might create a non-R&D version...
Edit: Do not hit the ground too hard, because doing so causes the Tech to lose a leg...

Last edited:

Jaime

This is incredible, astounding! A real self walking Battle Mech! Brilliant!
I need something like that. I see a bright future for walking Mechs now.
Thanks for sharing this nice and really stable walking mechanism.
And, it can jump/fly! :D

Website
duckduckgo.com
How about this?

Can kneel when stopping
Turn with A and D
Stops walking when you press space to point the drills at the rotating part
Shift to jump/recover from fall
[>Save above<]

If this is popular enough, then I might create a non-R&D version...
Honestly this is much, much better than my Drunk Walker. Maybe I should stop having knees...

Masakari

It walking reminds me of those old, old wind up toys that had the little extra support bars on the inside of the feet to allow it to stay upright while walking forward.

The shape reminds me of the puma battlemech.

Very good job as it does walk and stay upright (mostly) on it's own and not slide around too much.

Wait a minute... how do you actually make those? If I know how, I could probably make them but I won't because putting techs into other techs is such a pain.

Website
forum.terratechgame.com
Wait a minute... how do you actually make those? If I know how, I could probably make them but I won't because putting techs into other techs is such a pain.
One of the arts of making Multi-Techs is sheer determination to make the multi-Tech.;)
When making a multi-Tech, many failures and issues arise often, so it is up to the maker of that multi-Tech to not give up unless absolutely necessary.

In other words, the walker took some serious trial and error to get working.

Last edited:

Masakari

One of the arts of making Multi-Techs is sheer determination to make the multi-Tech.;)
When making a multi-Tech, many failures and issues arise often, so it is up to the maker of that multi-Tech to not give up unless absolutely necessary.

In other words, the walker took some serious trial and error to get working.
So true....so true.

Can't tell ya how many times I thought of scrapping my Scarab due to all the problems.

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
First off, Robocrafts mech legs are premade like the tank tracks and wheels (will be getting some premade legs when Legion arrives as they are walker/insect like if the corp photo is to be believed) so imo not a very good comparison/reference.

Second we don't have the proper tools to actually make the legs (pistons, gears, motors/actuators, universal controls/hotkeys to allow block operation for multi-grids) due to the basicness of Unity, and so we struggle with trying to work within the confines of what we have. The new MT blocks helps a lot towards this goal.

Third the issue TT/Unity has with collisions and multi grids (very hard thing to do as other building games that allow multi-grids are still tackling this problem).
A better comparison would be to compare legs in TT to legs in Besiege. Besiege has the advantage of of not using a grid system (each part has its own position, rotation, scale, physics, everything, etc.), yet it is still hard to make effective legs that won't either glitch apart or break from the weight.

I love the term "rapid unplanned disassembly."