More Construction Blocks - 3D Models & Concepts

Rafs

Collecting the Infinity Terminals
Hey!

Recently we saw the addition of many construction blocks for Hawkeye, not too long after they were suggested. In such busy times for Payload (rushing with console update, reworking crafting for coop, etc), the addition of basic blocks seem appropriate, to keep the game popular and fueling the community' creativity. In other words, new blocks are always welcome and keep the player base alive between large scale updates, which is where we are at.

With all that in mind, I modeled some 3D concepts of new blocks that I think would add a lot to construction in general. Some are curved blocks with side APs, some are thin coverings similar to armor plates, and there's more to come. Some weigh more on the aesthetic side, some may introduce new placement strategies.

Let's get to it:

GSO Curved Blocks

This line of blocks serve the purpose of providing strong plated blocks whith side APs, which the "half blocks" lack. This would also introduce more aesthetical variety in GSO designs without losing the retro look.

GSO_Curved_Block.png

Also, I made large curved blocks. They lack the gap on the inner corner, and in my view that would be due to GSO "non-optimized" design, keeping it "chunky"; however the devs may introduce the gap if they see fit.

GSO_Curved_Block_Large.png

Venture Covering Boards & Chassis Blocks

The covering boards act like armor plates but are mostly decorative, since it's such a thin layer of protection in a corporation that already lacks health on its blocks. Devs would decide on the stats, I know they would hardly want to break the Venture lore by adding proper armor to it, but fake-ish armor made with stylish boards wouldn't hurt either.

The boards come in two colors and various shapes:

Ven_Covering_Board.png

The Venture chassis blocks are an extremely light-weight alternative to regular blocks, coming at a higher price but feather-light weight, and as strong as normal venture blocks (or slightly weaker). They don't come in a high variety of shapes like the Better Future chassis, but should help in ultra-light buildings nonetheless, and look quite cool.

Ven_Chassis.png

Hawkeye Double Sloped Fort Armor

These follow the same general purpose of the GSO blocks introduced earlier, having side APs and good health, with some aesthetics to it (connectivity). The double block has an alt version, I couldn't decide which detail pattern looks better xD

HE_Double_Sloped.png

Last edited:

Rafs

Better Future Blank Panels

These panels are much like the venture boards, armor plates disguised as pretty-looking blocks. This block is also a popular request from those who want to cover their BF builds on the main external color but for some reason the block used lacks that blank facing. I couldn't provide an extremely thin covering as the attachment point of the block below would clip through; there is a minimal thickness and I went for it.
The panel design is basically a blank-face plate with carvings on the sides, and continuous panels have small blue LEDs on the mid-sides.

BF_Blank_Panel.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all for now but there's more to come as I gather more ideas and make more models.
Hope you all enjoyed and I hope the devs like these simple concepts and approve them for the game.

Share your ideas of construction blocks! I may even make a model for it :)

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Rafs

You mean like reusable (non)Explosive Bolts that simply detach themselves when pressing X? I can model that!

Rafs

I'm currently working on bigger half blocks for geocorp, later I'll model more shapes of Girders (angled, larger, etc). If you have anything else in mind go ahead, if you can draw it somewhere it helps too so I can get an idea.

Rafs

Continuing with more structure blocks, these are my ideas for GeoCorp:

GeoCorp Large Half Blocks & More Girders

I made larger version of the GC half blocks as this corporation got some really huge blocks, so it makes sense to cut them in angled versions, resulting in larger half blocks. I didn't make all types of half blocks possible as it would be too time consuming and this thread is more for demonstration of concepts. I also made an inner corner for regular half blocks, as this block seems to be missing in the set.

1567565382997.png

I also made some variations of girders. Mainly an angled girder, a large girder and an extra large girder.

1567565437845.png

-----------------------------

I have done most of my ideas I guess, but I still want to hear Structure Blocks ideas from you guys. Some kind of shape or type of structure a corp may be missing, or maybe an expansion of a set of blocks, anything, just say it and I can give a try.

Last edited:

Rafs

Another addition for GSO, girders!

GSO Girder Blocks

These are thin versions of the GC Girders, with a simple and slightly retro design, using the same metallic material of the armor plates. Includes a concept of an angled version I thought would look very cool.

1567652122265.png

Rafs

With the help of the modding community, I was able to release the complete girder set!

1567900217162.png

I'll let you guys judge how good it looks in game, and I invite the devs to take a look at it too! Also, I hope the way I adjusted all stats help the devs shaping them in a balanced concept for the game :)

I'll be releasing more of these blocks as mods, but they still stand as suggestions for the Vanilla game! That's my ultimate goal.

To all devs, I authorize the use of these blocks (all blocks and models I ever made) and their concepts directly into the game, for all matters, and with any tweaks and/or changes. If there's any question, please contact me, I don't want to make it harder to be implemented (if the devs want to) just because it became a mod, and I'll be very sad if this becomes a "legal" barrier (some people say it exists).

Last edited:

Captain Load

With the help of the modding community, I was able to release the GSO Small Girder as a custom block!

View attachment 28764

I'll let you guys judge how good it looks in game, and I invite the devs to take a look at it too! Also, I hope the way I adjusted its stats help the devs shaping it in a balanced concept for the game :)

I'll be releasing more of these blocks as mods, but they still stand as suggestions for the Vanilla game! That's my ultimate goal.

To all devs, I authorize the use of these blocks (all blocks and models I ever made) and their concepts directly into the game, for all matters, and with any tweaks and/or changes. If there's any question, please contact me, I don't want to make it harder to be implemented (if the devs want to) just because it became a mod, and I'll be very sad if this becomes a "legal" barrier (some people say it exists).
Smart and decent of you to put in the authorizaton. I don't think they've ever used modding material verbatim but they've definitely borrowed a couple ideas and implemented more than a few suggestions. Just really wish they had a bigger team :/

Rafs

Better Future Tubes

One day, a detail on one of the BF Blocks, the Scrapper, caught my attention.
It had a ver cool looking tube.
I thought "hey, why not make a block inspired in it? BF techs would look awesome with these!"
And so I did it!
I also took some inspiration from some BF Battery details (the small tubes in them).

BF_Tubes.png

This set has tubes 1, 2 and 3 blocks long; 1x1 and 2x2 curves; and a T junction. The blocks ended up looking very unique and unlike any other set (like bumpers or brackets).
It may add some strategic building options for BF, but most important are the aesthetic possibilities.

Last edited: