Monument drum noise must hush up! (Unless intended as anti-build deterrent.)

This monument drum noise...

• Annoys me, please make it stop (so I can build nearby).

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Annoys me, but is fine, leave it be.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I like it as it is.

• It's may favourite, TURN IT UP!

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • What noise? (I have sound effects turned off.)

• What 'monuments'...?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
Sure, the vast majority of a campaign world is out of range of the mysterious, cool, but endlessly annoying base thrum/drum sound emanating from monuments. But these curious things are easily the most compelling places to build a base; just take a gander at a few TerraTech YouTube videos to see how widespread the attraction is...

I would really like to build on/around one of these in my second play-through (I'm getting ansy to give the game another go now I'm more clued up!), but having spent 5 minutes trying out a turret setup atop a diagonal monument I found that this just isn't going to be an option, currently. That resonating "DUUUUuuuuuummmm" starts to go right through me. Then after leaving the area (or my PC) I was still hallucinating the sound...:confused:

I've generally not been able to hear it on most YouTubers videos. I think they were either made before the ambient sound was added, or have their game SFX sounds turned right down in the mix (or threw in a high pass audio filter - unlikely). But turning off sound effects altogether is terrible for me too, like having numb ears.

So please, please, could you devs figure out a compromise option?:
  • Make the mysterious noise mysteriously cut out upon anchoring a block to it (very 2001: A Space Odyssey).
  • Have the sound only play for ~30 seconds each time you come back into range.
  • Have a silent 'eye of the storm' volume distribution, so if you get to close it shuts up (also mysterious, but more likely to cause distraction as it will start and stop repeatedly if hanging out on the cusp of this transition).
  • Long term, perhaps have an explicit quest, or secret trick, to appease the old gods, or whatever.
Video demonstrating sounds from a bug report I made (where the drum noise actually continued when tabbed out/paused!):
Bonus complaint demonstration - the ambient wheel noises kicking in at specific wheel counts; I first though the venture wheel racket indicated that one of them was broken. Then that the sound was glitched, as with the spurious fuel tank refill clanking problem. Wheels really should not make road/driving noises while parked, stationary...

Yes, I'm most certainly more sensitive than most people, and also have decent speakers (and headset), while those with laptop sound (for example) would likely not hear this much.

Last edited:

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
I agree that audio deserves a revamp as part of the road to 1.0 release; alas, I do not expect these issues to be addressed until after 0.8.0.

For what its worth I also typically use my headphones while gaming, however in the case of Terratech I tend to keep the game muted and merely listen to .aac files.

Reactions: ZeroGravitas

Shayne

Oct 29, 2015
England
IM BACK AFTER MOVING HOUSE AND 2 WEEKS OF NO INTERNET! YEET!

Ahem, that aside, I don't actually play with sound on, due to usually building with music on in the background. And if you have ever tried playing music in the background with terra tech un-muted, you will know how annoying it is.

Reactions: Soviet_Samuelson

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
May 31, 2017
Australia
IM BACK AFTER MOVING HOUSE AND 2 WEEKS OF NO INTERNET! YEET!

Ahem, that aside, I don't actually play with sound on, due to usually building with music on in the background. And if you have ever tried playing music in the background with terra tech un-muted, you will know how annoying it is.
How dare you not listen to the glorious music of TerraTech!