Mod that removes/extends the 64^3 block volume limit.

Vertu

Jun 10, 2020
Currently working on a special tech and is tortured by the pathetically low 64 block limit in any one direction.
To be honest, the limit should be based on grid volume so you can go more than 64 blocks in one direction if you don't do so on other direction so long as the grid volume takes up 64^3 blocks or lower.

HeX

TerraTech Modder Manager
Jul 4, 2018
We've tried removing the building limit and it breaks the game.

Vertu

Jun 10, 2020
Well damn.
Was making a warship with a FULLY traversable interior using the wall and window blocks only to find out how absolutely tiny 64 blocks in one direction is..
Was gonna be the one thing to bring me back for a while. Oh well..
Thanks for the info.

Geocorp Jumper

May 24, 2016
I get that the limit is there to preserve the processor, but what determines the burden? Are many small blocks a greater burden than a few large blocks?

If so, couldn’t a block count limit work better than dimensional limits?

Z_THETA_Z

Not A Noob
Apr 3, 2019
Main Z-Sector Black Hole
Well damn.
Was making a warship with a FULLY traversable interior using the wall and window blocks only to find out how absolutely tiny 64 blocks in one direction is..
Thanks for the info.
If you want to make a stupidly large tech, i'd recommend learning Multitechs

HeX

TerraTech Modder Manager
Jul 4, 2018
I get that the limit is there to preserve the processor, but what determines the burden? Are many small blocks a greater burden than a few large blocks?

If so, couldn’t a block count limit work better than dimensional limits?
Even if that is done, people would still complain about being a limit to building. The size limit is a necessity for the game.

Darvin

Commander-in-chief of Carrier Strike Group NOVA-01
Jun 13, 2020
Thanks for the info.
You should try point defense module by Legionite, now we have projectiles that intercept missiles

Vertu

Jun 10, 2020
You should try point defense module by Legionite, now we have projectiles that intercept missiles
The problem is the game itself rather than things like that.
It's cool that we got spicy blocks but my problem is how different they are to the main game. Basically need a ton of mods which revamp TT to get "arguably" a "better" experience. (No offense to the devs). It doesn't feel right to me.. It would make it feel like a completely different game..

If you want to make a stupidly large tech, i'd recommend learning Multitechs
I do not want to enter that rabbit hole. Maybe if the game had more reliable collision detection I would.

Even if that is done, people would still complain about being a limit to building. The size limit is a necessity for the game.
I'd rather have a block limit as you can then play around with larger single blocks like those in the GC Heavy Engineering mod to build larger more efficiently.
I just hate how it's 64 in ANY direction rather than something more advanced like grid volume. You build 10 blocks in the X-axis (left-right), 5 in the Y-axis (up-down), and boom you have about 5,242 blocks in the Z-axis to play with while still being under the 64^3 volume limit. That would make for a very long stick but I think you can see where I am coming from. Who the hell is going to use the size limit in all 3 axis anyways for most of their techs?! You typically only play with 2 dimensions (X&Z) and don't touch the Y-axis with more than like 5-10 blocks unless it's a tower/structure or an airship which has a tower. That can result in a lot of unused volume for almost all of your techs that could be allocated into one of the more used axis.
If we rarely use anywhere near all 64 blocks in the Y-axis, why do we need the Y-axis to be limited to 64 when it can be transferred to the other axis?

[WARNING! RANT MODE ENGAGED!]
I know some cases where this does not work, one being when the game treats the tech as a SINGLE OBJECT. A game called Particle Fleet Emergence does this, has ships you can make in a volume limit. The volume limit can be increased by mods but is not larger in vanilla because ships are treated as a single entity. A single massive ship has a lot more properties and undergoes more and larger calculations than many small ships, thus causing more lag and justifies that volume limit. I believe TT's reason for the size limit is performance so you don't dare build too large with too many blocks. Not because the tech is a single object. Each block is very independent unlike the blocks of ships in Particle Fleet Emergence. The performance problem comes from the individual blocks, not the tech object that contains the blocks. Therefor you can increase the size of the tech object further than 64 blocks in one direction while still biding to the 262,144 grid volume limit without horrible performance loss. And I personally believe that the TT devs implemented the size limit in a way that once violated in any way, breaks the game because the game was not designed with a larger size in mind. Not because of performance failure.

In Particle Fleet Emergence, if you make an XXL ship using mods to bypass the size limit, it will cause a loss in performance, but NEVER come close to breaking the game. All it does is cause more lag. No crashes, no glitches, just less FPS. So I heavily question TT's reason... Maybe I should make a forum post about this.. Not that much will come with it much like my D-Shield post.

This is less about complaining about the size limit, more complaining about how simple and limiting it is. I believe there are much better alternatives than what is currently in the game, and this is where my rant comes from.

Icarus_The_King_Of_Angels

S H I N Y Mad Scientist
Nov 6, 2015
Winterpeg
Long story short, that 64^3 grid is really really important to a whole lot of systems in the game, and changing it would pretty much require a new game from the ground up.

Devs give their reasons here.

Vertu

Jun 10, 2020
well, TT does need a complete redesign from the ground up, considering all of the issues, but I do see how this is problematic currently
Same here. I even recommended to Matt for a potential TerraTech 2 because of how much experience they have obtained since they started.
All of that old and less experienced code formatting just sitting in the pits of hell that would unleash Armageddon if ever touched..
Past methods of getting certain things to work..
Strange loop arounds that worked at the time but now a better way was discovered..

In my eyes, it would 100% be a complete redesign to fix even some simple things like block volume limit. Because in theory, exceeding it should not cause the game to self destruct even when a tech is treated as an individual object rather than a conglomerate. It would just cause an exponential decrease in optimization as you build larger, not the game exploding.

(Seriously devs, maybe think more on the idea of TerraTech 2, you have been working on this since like 2016 and is now 3 years old in official release. Your coding styles back in 2016 is VERY different to your coding styles now, I know this because I was around since 2016 thanks to Ssundee and TT back than was VERY different to today).

Geocorp Jumper

May 24, 2016
Would a TT2 need to be an independent game all its own? I’m only barely getting my feet wet with modding, so I know very little about how entire games go through the process of updates. And, quite frankly, I am a tad nervous to see just how much cash I would have to fork over just for a more functional TerraTech.

As I think on it more, it occurs to me that a rework or TT2 has likely come up a few times in the devs’ own discussions. Could they already be working on something on the side? Would they even have the resources (time, money, workforce, etc.) to do something as big as a rework or TT2 “on the side?”

Vertu

Jun 10, 2020
I think it would be better as a terratech overhaul update, basically scrapping everything done and redoing it from the ground up
Agreed. Although they are deep in the rabbit hole that they would need to drill out, they are SO DEEP that drilling out may not be a good idea. A good comparison to TT is From The Depths. They had a similar problem and went through some overhaul updates INCLUDING A TECHNOLOGY UPDATE TO TRANSITION FROM ONE ENGINE TO ANOTHER which freakin payed off massively. TT may do something similar and probably should. Rather than try to remake it, maybe unleach the Armageddon and put time into fixing it when the time comes.

But until then, we got problems like block limit being hard-coded in a way that the game breaks if it's changed.