Mod Support Discussion

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Hi Modders,

We want to get your thoughts on what type of support we can offer our TerraTech modding community.

We'll keep the discussion quite broad for now and if we come across anything specific we'd like to look into further we'll create a separate thread.

So get all your ideas down here.

Thanks,
Matt

Exund

Fancy Modder
Somewhere in space, near my Techs (Switzerland)
Blocks API (Registration, Modules, Reciepes + Resources/Components API) + Tools to create blocks in Unity Editor

Missions API + Tools

Easier access to some inner working of the Man* Classes (making some fields/methods public) (ex : TOD)

(Later) Workshop support

I also have some ideas about some Utilities for modders but those are bit different so I think that would be better in another thread

WhitePaw2002

Modding Husky
Website
github.com
I would really like to see a form of API to create blocks, resources, recipes, scenery, corporations and such at run time, along with methods for creating blocks with special functions. Utilities as Exund said.

For how the mods are to be distributed, I have a few ideas but I think that should be discussed closer with what can be done best

Mindlessmrawesome

What I suggest is using some of the stuff your faithful modders have made to add in modding support for the game. Whitepaw made a good system for managing mods using ttqmm, what I suggest is to not reinvent the wheel and look at what we've done.

Soviet_Samuelson

Tax collector (who lives in a box)
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
What I suggest is using some of the stuff your faithful modders have made to add in modding support for the game. Whitepaw made a good system for managing mods using ttqmm, what I suggest is to not reinvent the wheel and look at what we've done.
i suggest that they do whatever they can to upgrade his system, because currently it gets blocked by antiviruses and tbh, the UI could use improving

harpo99999

ah kick till it starts
interesting, I am using the avast free edition (at the highest sensitivity levels) and have not noticed any issues (and yes is not directly related to modding, but is related to in-directly related as in things that can cause problems for)

Soviet_Samuelson

Website
forum.terratechgame.com
interesting, I am using the avast free edition (at the highest sensitivity levels) and have not noticed any issues (and yes is not directly related to modding, but is related to in-directly related as in things that can cause problems for)
Interestingly, avast never told me it was dealing with ttmm, but it worked after uninstalling avast

WhitePaw2002

Modding Husky
Website
github.com
  • Where would be the best place to host mods, if say it were to be managed from an internal mod manager in the game? What kind of process would there be for adding / verifying mods?
  • Use of Forum?
  • I think mods can be installed from inside the Steam workshop, if it can place file structures in specific places. But then it'd be Steam only...

Any other ideas?

Flan

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Coming from MC modding, one of the worst things we had to work around in the early days was blockID limits and conflicts. When adding a block in a mod, how do you pick the ID for the block?

WhitePaw2002

Modding Husky
Website
github.com
Coming from MC modding, one of the worst things we had to work around in the early days was blockID limits and conflicts. When adding a block in a mod, how do you pick the ID for the block?
I just choose the most absurd numbers imaginable large random numbers
upload_2019-1-7_8-40-5.png upload_2019-1-7_8-40-42.png
I don't know if it can go negative, but the highest signed int32 value is 2147483647. Which means overlap is hopefully unlikely.
(This is possible because an enum is not restricted to it's defined values, but it's type)

Soviet_Samuelson

Website
forum.terratechgame.com
I just choose the most absurd numbers imaginable large random numbers
View attachment 25587 View attachment 25588
I don't know if it can go negative, but the highest signed int32 value is 2147483647. Which means overlap is hopefully unlikely.
(This is possible because an enum is not restricted to it's defined values, but it's type)
Maybe there could just be a public counter for block modders to see, so there's no 'off-chance' that it happens

Flan

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Well it was definitely worse on MC because the blockIDs were packed into a byte, so we had only 256. (And anything over 127 didn't work without a mod to fix it to be an unsigned type)

While the pick-a-random-number method works, it's not ideal, and could eventually lead to conflicts. Maybe this isn't something we need to worry about yet, but it would be good to have a system where blocks are simply registered ID-less and then tech snapshots and savegames save an internal dictionary of what ID is what block in their block grid

WhitePaw2002

Modding Husky
Website
github.com
My only concern is that not all people would have the same combination of blocks if they choose to have external blocks at all. An internal dictionary may be great for this, but it might be difficult to try to find the same block on different instances. (And if any information by what it is recognized changes.) All down to how it's identified.

Another way to solve possible conflicts is to make a wikipedia page of all the valid modded blocks and their IDs.

Mindl3ss

Mindless Dominion Fleet Admiral
SV 'Daegon's Wrath', Aquia Harbour Virginia
Website
th3kaijuwars.freeforums.net
and along those lines, Can we get a wiki page with all the stats of current blocks? I know this has uses way beyond modding, but it would help immensely as a reference point for those of us trying to mod new blocks.

Nevermind. Exund did one for 1.0.1. Once again i am blind.

Last edited: