Mission idea: The Last Stand (AKA Final boss for the game or GSO Grade 5)

matik2002

Sep 16, 2015
So, I was talking in the discord server about a final GSO/game boss, and after a while of thinking we've managed to create a good mission idea for the game!

The Last Stand - The mission will unlock either when:
- Player reaches Grade 5 on GSO (if it will be a GSO mission)
- Player reaches Grade 5 on all corporations

The player will be tasked with searching for a lost tech, but to make it hard: NO MISSION MARKERS! To find the tech, the player will have to turn the volume up. Every few seconds, the player will hear one of the following texts:

- 'Hello?' 'Help!' 'Anybody there?' 'PLEASE!!' (when the player is searching for the tech)
- 'Over here!' 'hey, i see you!' 'Quickly!!' (when the player is close)
Upon reaching the tech (which will be named Mia) the tech will say, 'Oh no, i'm so sorry. oooohhhh no.... IT'S A TRAP! GET AWAY FROM HERE!'

And when the player tries to run...they will encounter Tony, in his final form (built by the community) and the player must to destroy it. If the player manages to destroy Mega-Tony, then the GSO license is maxed out (if it will be set as a GSO mission) or the game is complete (if it will be unlocked after completing all corporations licenses).

The reason why do I think it's good is because it can make the TerraTech lore, use voice-acting (or something) and it could give people an incentive to progress. Disscuss it and let me know. Credits to @Gameslinx for helping me out with the mission design ;)

Also, the Mega-Tony and Mia will be made by the community (either competition or something), so developers don't ned to design them.

Gameslinx

Oct 19, 2015
A cab, stranded in deep space
-- This should hopefully all tie in with a Tony (final boss) community core competition. We haven't asked the developers yet but we'll see what they say. The techs for the final boss will have to be big. So here's the lore:
After being defeated early in the game, Tony manages to survive and goes into hiding whilst the player progresses. He collects parts of other techs (hawkeye, GSO, GEO-corp and venture) and builds his final tech, waiting for the player to reach grade 5.
Tony (now Big Tony or Tony's Revenge), kidnaps another passive, friendly tech named 'Mia' and keeps her captive. Once the player reaches grade 5, Mia spawns somewhere in the world (maybe 5000 units away from the player) Upon getting closer, she will send out messages for help and distress calls. There will be no mission marker, you need to pinpoint the sound. Mia will then say that she is unable to move because her wheels and weapons won't work (low power).
After this, the player is required to recharge her battery and shield, and take her back to the base. Unfortunately it's not so simple. She will then apologize (maybe with the message: 'Oh no, i'm so sorry. oooohhhh no.... IT'S A TRAP! GET AWAY FROM HERE!'). And then Big Tony will spawn.

Oh and big tony will be huge (but the community core should decide that). Here are some techs which could be used as Mia:
Mia 21.png
Mia.png
Mia 3.png

We really hope this suggestion goes through, and it seems to check out with the lore so far.

Last edited:

MidBlade

Apr 5, 2016
Sounds Great but one thing , I never saw TT as a game haveing an End ..

Makeing an End Game Boss Just feels wrong for TT, the Game never Ends, this is all about Exploring an Obtaining new Parts from many Corps . Besides so many Games that Have an End Game Boss end up sitting on shelves after that said boss gets beat, So End Game boss, I vote no. However that being said , have Bosses that only Spawn Once you have hit Max Grade is a Awsome Idea

Lost Ninja

Jul 17, 2015
Yorkshire Dales under a rock.
And here's the whopper - The final boss, after all corps have been defeated - Big Tony himself.
And here he is:
View attachment 7915
Killed by 10 HE Railguns, from range... :/

Also @OP if it is adopted as is I will never be able to find the boss/mission as I'm not going to be able to track by sound. So unless a block is added that will allow that sort of tracking, anyone with sound issues (be that hearing or speaker/headphones) will not be able to enjoy the content.

Gameslinx

Oct 19, 2015
Killed by 10 HE Railguns, from range... :/

Also @OP if it is adopted as is I will never be able to find the boss/mission as I'm not going to be able to track by sound. So unless a block is added that will allow that sort of tracking, anyone with sound issues (be that hearing or speaker/headphones) will not be able to enjoy the content.
Well the tech can't fire at you until you're within weapon range, so you can come at it from the side and be completely safe

matik2002

Sep 16, 2015
In case you won't be able to hear stuff, the Tech would have a circle around it, changing color as you move, where blue is very far and red is near you.

In case of colorblind, the circle will be black when far and white when close.

P

Pink Kitty

Sounds Great but one thing , I never saw TT as a game haveing an End ..

Makeing an End Game Boss Just feels wrong for TT, the Game never Ends, this is all about Exploring an Obtaining new Parts from many Corps . Besides so many Games that Have an End Game Boss end up sitting on shelves after that said boss gets beat, So End Game boss, I vote no. However that being said , have Bosses that only Spawn Once you have hit Max Grade is a Awsome Idea
As opposed to what?

Sitting on a shelf when you get bored?
That's going to happen anyway.

It's good to have a game with an end goal.
If you want to keep playing, ignore it.

And when you've had enough, finish it, and put it away.

Reactions: Gameslinx

Gameslinx

Oct 19, 2015
As opposed to what?

Sitting on a shelf when you get bored?
That's going to happen anyway.

It's good to have a game with an end goal.
If you want to keep playing, ignore it.

And when you've had enough, finish it, and put it away.
Very good point, actually. I have noticed that some sandbox games (Kerbal space program, GTA, Just Cause 2) don't have very clear end goals. You have to make your own. With Kerbal Space Program, this could be like getting to a new planet, getting to every planet in 1 rocket launch or just making that one cool plane, but my point is the same - you have to make your own goal. With TerraTech, after reaching the max grade for everything, there's nothing much left to do. You'll start to see similar techs, you already have a massive base and a massive tech. What next?

Either a new save, or it goes on the shelf for a few months.

None of us want that. With games like Terraria and Minecraft, there is a goal, but it is optional. The bosses in Terraria and the boss in Minecraft both do spawn but only when the requirements are met (this requires the player to actively be aware of what to do to summon a boss). Yes, there is a boss, but no, it isn't compulsory to actually fight/beat it. The purpose of Terraria and certainly more Minecraft is to build and create, and not to beat bosses.

With Terratech, this idea fits well. The boss is optional, and requires the player to actively know what they are doing (saving Mia) to cause the boss to spawn. After the boss has been beaten, you reached the goal - now you can play full sandbox (assuming you also have all the parts).

The reason why we suggested this was because the game begins to grind to a halt shortly after reaching grade 5, causing it to be forgotten and abandoned. The bosses suggested here should add more of a goal to the game, and lets the player know they have 'completed' the campaign as opposed to 'I'm grade 5. What next?'. The new response is 'I beat the boss. Now I can build freely' and definitely delaying the 'What next?'.

^^ This was kind of a response to @MidBlade

FightBiscuit

May 6, 2016
Germany
Maybe it`s better if the player has to max out the corp, if you reach the max grade you`ll get new parts and stuff so a "little" bit later would be nice

Reactions: Gameslinx

Redlegdaddy

Jan 10, 2017
Hmm nice profile pic OP, P-5 pro lol. I like the idea of a huge Boss for the last stage of the campaign. Perhaps something you can do more than once that has some randomness to it. Would love to see it be very hard to the point where you have to sacrifice multiple techs to battle it lol.

Zargn

Administrator
Nov 30, 2015
Sweden
I think that if there is going to be a end game boss then it should have LOTS of small shielded minions. A huge battle vs the boss and its minions would be a nice endgame thing.

And if there is a boss, then it should have a very large tracking range so you cant run away easily ;)