Archived Mini Heli Community Core Submit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Community Core is a live stream where we showcase the best creations players have made in TerraTech.

Viewers of last week's stream would have seen me try, and fail, to build a replacement Mini Heli for Creative Mode so I'm asking for your help in this week's Comm Core!

Submitted techs must:
  • Be easy to use.
  • Use mainly Hawkeye blocks.
  • Be a similar size and value to the Mini Heli currently in Creative.

If you'd like to have your tech showcased you can submit your techs by attaching snapshots, game saves or Steam Workshop links in this thread.

You'll be able to watch them in action on Wednesday 14th August from 4pm BST on Twitch:

www.twitch.tv/terratechgame

A limit of no more than TWO Snapshots/Steam Workshops or 3 Techs in a GAME SAVE per player, please :) If submitting a GAME SAVE please specify if it's R&D or Creative in your submission.

NOTE: INSTRUCTIONS for how Techs should be shown must be displayed in RED. Text that is not marked this way will likely be ignored. All instructions must be written in no more than 140 characters. Attaching a video of the Tech in action to your thread is strongly advised.

This thread will be archived just before the stream to make way for the next wave of Community Core submissions.

Falchoin

Damselfly: clocking in at 168k BB, only 22k more than the Mini-heli, the Damselfly is a fully shielded and bubbled helicopter. Neutral setting roughly 68.5, and about 100 while moving forward for a very slight altitude gain.

Damselfly.png

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Viewers of last week's stream would have seen me try, and fail, to build a replacement Mini Heli for Creative Mode
Lol! Do you remember, back in December, when I pushed to have that Creative mode chopper replaced by one that's able to pitch, roll and generally show of the brand new (at the time) control schemes? And you showed off the difference between the current one and one of my suggested builds here in this Christmassy stream.
I like the idea of showing off the new schemes by starting up creative mode with a tech of each type.:) But the current Better Future hover tech ("Hover Buddy") and Hawkeye helicopter ("Mini Heli" - on workshop) are a little lacking. (Snapshots attached for future reference.)

The helicopter looks nice enough, but can only lift and yaw. It can't pitch, roll, accelerate, etc.

So I thought I'd take a quick stab at making a more capable demonstrator, in the same HE theme. Here - the "ZG Nightblade H2" (based on @Nightblade Greyswandir's popular "Copter Mi28 Havoc"):

I stripped out all the power systems for simplicity and weight, so it works on a single rotor (and basically rebuilt it from scratch). It shows off use of various blocks for control input, including the hover steer, which will give a modest amount of "roll" lean for strafing.

You're all welcome to post (below) revisions of this tech and/or originals. No idea if the devs will be interested in this idea, or have other plans already in place.
Speaking to Kris, IIRC, he seemed to insist that he still liked the currently used one. But if you want to 'fix' it, it can be as easy as placing one HE adjustment thruster directly on top of the rotor blade. Although that's ugly, so you could place a bunch of them further down, at the top of the fuselage, like this (not a submission):
Mini Heli Mod1.png

The key is that they have to be offset from (e.g. above) the centre of mass (CoM) to produce leverage in an axis. And the further from the CoM the fewer you need for the same control force.

But sure, it'd be cool to have an entirely new build and see what the community can come up with.:) Designing a proper looking helicoper is one of the hardest things to do in TerraTech, so it was certainly brave to try live in an hour long stream (while reading comments, etc). Having a quick watch of the VOD (excuse me if I missed bits), it seemed like you got pretty close to something good looking and workable, mid way through, but then failed to appreciate a couple of things (and it seems like a good opportunity to raise a few more thereafter):

(1) The pitch trim gyro is basically cheat mode for helicopter pitch control - the slider controls the set point of it's preferred lean angle (not the power of the force). What's more, using the pitch controls keys dynamically adjusts this set point to full forwards / full backwards, pitching without risk of tumbling.

(2) Adjustment thrusters are activated by the throttle control (from the rotors). So if they are off-centre they will tip up your tech (although this could be helpful for balancing. The Hawkeye Adjustment Thrusters also have a dead direction opposite to their attach points (again can be helpful unhelpful).

(3) You *have to* use these thrusters to make a helicopter looking tech with primarily Hawkeye parts. Before these existed, my alternative heli versions used a Venture adjustment thruster and GSO fans to control the roll and pitch. You could use off-centre HE fan(s) for pitch, but there's not really room for them on the roll axis (for a small-ish, traditional looking chopper). But the thruster can clearly make more compact, HE designs. @Nightblade Greyswandir has used BF Ion engines instead (e.g. here) and this tech by another player uses Venture Zero Props, but has another problem...
Heli stall pitching.png

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com

(4) The main lift rotor *must be* exactly in line with the CoM to prevent the tech stalling when pitching in one of the directions. I've called this a bug that needs fixing (here and here). It significantly limits options with helis (and drones much more so!) and causes confusion.

(5) Throttled controls (and therefore 'proper' helicopters) are, in my opinion, at about at the same level of usability and function as hover techs used to be before the introduction of Better Future (and the hover force reworks and related accessory blocks). Height control by slowly throttling up and down lift force is very clumsy, unwieldy and taxing. I made my suggestions regarding this when control scheme were new (e.g. here and here).

(6) Because helicopters (that looked good) so rarely worked (before control schemes), I made a collection of the ones that did. Many of these were broken by the control scheme introduction, ironically, but there's still a bunch of good ones (mostly nearer the top) in here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1249182254

(7) It's almost impossible to make a HE only helicopter that looks about right to scale (with only a single large rotor) as HE blocks are so heavy. And you can forget carrying a decent amount of battery power therein (HE batteries the heaviest blocks in the game at 4x a GSO 1-block or Venture battery, per unit volume). For balance, too, block density considerations are one of the many things that you really need to pay attention to for good heli design, that you can ignore most of the time elsewhere (interesting, but involved).

OK, so a question, @Matt: shouldn't all of these entries have to work fully with the current helicopter control scheme? Seems necessary for them to be a replacement starter tech... Unless you guys are about to change that scheme (e.g. to use Shift and Ctrl for lift throttling, as I've harped on about at great length).

(Also, your embedded video doesn't work for me, is it private?)

Last edited:

AstraTheDragon

A dapper dragon
(2) Adjustment thrusters are activated by the throttle control (from the rotors). So if they are off-centre they will tip up your tech (although this could be helpful for balancing. The Hawkeye Adjustment Thrusters also have a dead direction opposite to their attach points (again can be helpful unhelpful).

(4) The main lift rotor *must be* exactly in line with the CoM to prevent the tech stalling when pitching in one of the directions. I've called this a bug that needs fixing (here and here). It significantly limits options with helis (and drones much more so!) and causes confusion.

(5) Throttled controls (and therefore 'proper' helicopters) are, in my opinion, at about at the same level of usability and function as hover techs used to be before the introduction of Better Future (and the hover force reworks and related accessory blocks). Height control by slowly throttling up and down lift force is very clumsy, unwieldy and taxing. I made my suggestions regarding this when control scheme were new (e.g. here and here).
I was inspired by the stream to build my own thing parallel to the stream, and I was struck by pretty much everything you've just said. I had a good mind to make a report, as I believe that the way the control scheme behaves is fundamentally flawed. I now hold that generally speaking, helicopters are far more difficult to control and sometimes more challenging to build than hoverbug airships which for me raises the question of viability. Nevertheless, I persevered and made something functional which uses the official schema, although it harkens back more to ZeroGravitas' drones of old than sleek Apache-16s :p
HE ExampleHelicopterbetter.png

Aardvark123

Website
aardvark1998.deviantart.com
Here are two helicopters for your delectation. One is fairly normal, the other... not so much.

First up, we have Mini Chop 1, an attack helicopter with desert camo paintwork:

Mini Chop 1.png

Secondly, we have the Aerodingbat, which I forgot to call "Mini Chop 2":

Aerodingbat.png

Both of these use the usual helicopter controls. Be careful when landing the Aerodingbat, as its landing gear may fail to deploy and fall off on contact with the ground.

burger1113

HE AH5 Attack Heli.png
HE FT2 Attack Heli
Pretty much the same size as the ComCore theme heli. Sports a Jet in the center to give you an instance lift when needed.
It will hold whatever tilt angle it is given.
Set throttle at 50%
Press Shift whenever you need Lift
Arrow Keys for Movement(Up to go forward, Left to go Left,, etc)
A&D for Turning, and try not to touch W&S

HE AH1 Shlim.png
HE AH1 "Shlim"
Here is a bit smoother looking try at it, lol
Set throttle between 68 to 100% and press SHIFT When you need lift.

Last edited:

NotExactlyHero

FORUM DEFENDER
Website
www.khanacademy.org
Helicopper: Pretty close to the cost and size of the existing helicopter. Hovers somewhere around +70%. This should bend to your helicopter control scheme, although I recommend also adding pitch controls if you don't have them.
Helicopper(Minigun): Pretty much the same as the Helicopper, but with weapons.

Attachments

-=ROOSTER=-

Complete Idiot
This might not technically fit the criteria, but it seemed most important to me that the heli should be an example that worked perfectly with the default heli control scheme. In that respect it's spot on, but slightly larger. Just fly it once before you decide to throw it out of contention - if you do.
NOTE: You already have proper controls by default. There's really not anything else to tell you. EDIT: Added a second submission below.
RRD_Med Heli.png RRD_ThunderBall.png Default controls for this one also. It looks larger in the pic than it really is.

Last edited:

Klilidiplomus

It's been a while since I submitted designs for community core, might as well start being more active again. Both of these were built with the default control scheme, and are almost perfectly balanced.

KDI SH01 Tracker
KDI SH01 Tracker.png

Lifts off at 11% throttle, and is very maneuverable, although potentially skittish.

KDI AH12 Airhammer
KDI AH12 Airhammer.png
This one is armed with missiles, but also quite a bit heavier. Takeoff is at 48-50% throttle.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Co-op creative save file (so other devs/viewers can join) with 3 realistic looking helicopters that control pretty well and a little testing range. Have a shot at the course if you like and/or play demo videos. 3 enemy turrets to the north and you could turn on enemy spawns if you like.

Snapshots below for reference or reloading:

"Loach OH-6" (A.K.A. "small bad-guy chopper") - probably my best candidate for a Creative starter heli. I actually managed to make something nice(ish) looking with (pretty much) just the small rotor for lift. GSO fan for turning - need to slow down to turn properly (or remove tail plane). Pitch control via rear Ven Pinwheel Propeller and Ven 1-Way Thruster (under nose). Booster for bonus speed. Add a 5-Way Adjustment Thruster on top for roll and stronger pitch. Missiles on the sides of the cabs for combat.
ZG Loach OH_6 Heli.png

Reference images:
mh-6x and OH-6.jpg

Wikipedia link, for the exact name reference.

Note to devs: you're always welcome to de-brand my submissions, remove the "ZG" for in-game use, etc. And you could use this tech with or without the extra 5-way adjustment thruster on top for roll control, etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
"SciFi Heli" - a futuristic gunship. Pitch control cheat mode using BF Pitch Trip Gyro. HE Adjustment thrusters for turning and additional lift. Turreted guns (including HE Hunter Railguns) for looks, missiles for practicality. Hopeless battery capacity so has a BF controller block to disable shields when not in use (possibly a handy bonus demonstration).
ZG SciFi Heli.png
Reference images from Google search for "sci-fi helicopters":
2019-08-13 Sci-fi helicopters reference.jpg

----------------------------------------​

"AirWolf" - From the 90s TV show! Makes use of the new, small retractable HE landing gear. It's packed with BF Adjustment Thrusters for extra lift and pitch control (recommend replacing the one in tail for 2 GSO Horns instead, for stronger pitch control, but rubbish looks). 4 HE Small Jet Engines let it just about loop the loop (with a run-up and some spare altitude). This is enabled by use of a BF Single Axis Gyro to stabalise it only in the roll axis (hence it can topple backwards fairly easily). Weapons mostly for show.
ZG AirWolf.png

The helicopter in the show for reference:

Last edited:
Second time doing this because god only knows what happened to the 1st post (if theres 2 post well then whatever! :<)
This is my submission, the Blackhawk Helicopter, flies very well, good firepower for a heli(I think) and it looks very nice (one of my prouder builds)
Stable flight when not using pitch is 48-49 and when using pitch not exactly sure never figured it out, try in the 70s?
Uses my own helicopter control scheme (which I think is just better :p)
Enjoy this I guess
Also hi Matt

Shido~

Blackhawk Helicopter.png

Legionite

LegionKnight
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
I wanted to go with something like the original chopper, yet fairly controllable, fast and heavy with the new parts.

And then I wanted to add pitching and landing gears

But then I tweaked some things, added some roll-stabilizing gyros and added more HE batteries
and then that got out of hand

I ended up with this:
Hawkeye Override
HE Override.png
(Snap above)
I would suggest roughly 75% Up Thrust for accent, and 100% Up Thrust for forwards pitch
Default Helicopter Control Scheme works fine

Works on Gyro-assisted control, like the original Hawkeye Mini Heli
It uses a small mix of GSO batteries, BF accessories, and a VEN gyro, totaling 6 non-Hawkeye parts.
(The HE Horizon Gyro was far too strong for a craft this size.)

I didn't add the Shield Bubble because it drains too much power when hit, and it makes the helicopter a bigger target for enemies

(That HE Repeater is at the front because it looks like a good helicopter chain gun)
Compared.png
Back view.png

Last edited:

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
In the spirit of the demo helicopter (or "Mini Heli"), I built a simplified craft with whose purpose was to mimic its capability, rather than add to it. Thus, I created it small and simple. No energy, no boosters, and as easy to control as possible. It was somewhat inspired by the Quinjet.

Magpie.png

Magpie
Controls: Default Helicopter. No defense (same as the mini-heli) so keep range when trying to fight.

If I can discuss the issues with helicopters a bit here, I have noticed in this build and others that the smaller the craft, the more difficult it is to balance meaningfully because the center-of-mass and the center-of-thrust are so difficult to control with so few blocks. This is why we need ballast blocks @Matt ! About 12 more units of mass in the tail in this design would make it perfect, but as is, I'd either have to dramatically oversize the tail or add a bunch more gyros (either would cause other problems). I had a version with a pitch trim gyro. I got it trimmed correctly, but then the gyro force was waaay too much and killed it's handling.

Secondly, using pitch as your forward control is takes a lot of skill both as pilot and as designer. In most cases it's far easier to design your helicopter to behave like a blimp. That is, you use the rotors just to counteract weight, not for anything else, and instead use thrusters to move forward and back. But then it's not a legitimate helicopter anymore. There are a lot of ways to help resolve this, but I'd encourage the devs to continue to look at maturing vectored lift.

Website
www.khanacademy.org
THIS IS A JOKE(ISH) POST!!!!

Cleanup Heli: Use W/A to angle the helicopter, like a true helicopter. Can't really turn while in the air though. Probably should be used to clean up the remains of all the corpses from all the better helicopters in this thread.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.