Mechanical Advantage (My Brainchild, Which I Hope Becomes Popular)

Discussion in 'Ramblings' started by Fehn, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Fehn

Fehn The Almighty Machine

So, um...
    MA Logo.png
    Which is, if I recall my thoughts and plans correctly, a sci-fi RPG Sandbox game with a hint of fantasy. It contains three types of player characters - Organics, Cyborgs, and Robots.

Each has their benefits, and their downsides. However, as implied by the name of the game, gameplay as a Robot is more advantageous than as a Cyborg, which is more advantageous than as an Organic.

Gameplay is based around leveling up through building (defensive), resource collection (passive), and combat (offensive).

There is more, but I've been known to confuse people when talking about less complicated subjects, and at this point I've rewritten this post about 3 times.

Feedback would be nice, as well as suggestions.

2. Fehn

Here we have the 3 types of buildable objects:

Large and unmoving structures, Statics are generally built when settling down in an area. Intended for those who aren't nomadic, and like big guns.
    deathStar.jpeg

These come in 3 sizes: small, medium, and large.

Small Dynamics are generally fast, but lack the armor to do any real damage to the enemy. Their production capabilities are limited to the harvesting of materials.

Medium Dynamics are a bit more fortified than their smaller brethren, and more expensive to boot. They can harvest and refine materials.

Large Dynamics have the heaviest armor, and the biggest guns. These bad boys have the full range of production, basically making them mobile Statics.
    250px-Kirov-class_battlecruiser.jpg

These are a bit more complicated than the above:
    This is where the magic happens, literally. Remember how this is a sci-fi RPG Sandbox game with a hint of fantasy? Well, here's where the fantasy comes into play.

An Organic's equipment differs from that of a Cyborg or a Machine. Only Organics can use certain equipment. Same with Cyborgs and Machines.

Machines can only use mechanically-oriented equipment ( i.e. Hull, Reactors, Short-range Warp Drive). They can also replace their parts with custom parts.

Cyborgs can use certain bits of both categories ( i.e. Hull, Helmet, Stick ). They can also replace certain parts with custom parts.

Organics can only use stuff that their skeleton and biology support ( i.e. Helmet, Tunic, Rock ). They can't replace parts with upgraded ones.

But you're not limited to the equipment in the shops and dungeons, in fact, you can build your own unique weapons and armors. You can even personalize it.

But that's not all. You want to put a rocket in a hammer? Go ahead. Wanna strap a drill to the end of a stick? Sure thing. Want a sword that's also a gun? Why not?

I ran out of synonyms for "Go ahead", but the same can be done with armor. If it fits on the tool, you can put it on the tool.

anvil.jpeg

EDIT: Included images to help explain the idea.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    WhitePaw2002, JimmyBlether and Boomik like this.
  3. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

I've thought up a similar idea, (as in, multiple classifications based on material), but it has eight different categories.

Fehn likes this.
  4. Fehn

I actually have one of those too, with 9 materials. In fact, I was planning to implement it in this game as another level of complexity ( #LosingIsFun #DwarfFortress ). I just hope we don't have any overlap. :)

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  5. Fehn

Here it is, the material system ( I hope nothing overlaps with @Lord Zarnox 's idea ):
    Here we have the basic materials:

Coal - Common, Light, Weak. Attribute: Fire. Repair Speed Multiplier: 2.
    Despite having no good armor of it's own, Coal is frequently used by those who like to set fire to their enemies, or enjoy bathing in lava.

Quartz - Common, Light, Weak. Attribute: Light. Repair Speed Multiplier: 1.75.
    It may seem as though Quartz is a useless material, but it is far from it. Quartz is used in the best shield generators, and is quite useful to include in any laser weaponry you may have.

Lapis Lazuli - Uncommon, Light, Weak. Attributes: Water, Magic. Repair Speed Multiplier: 1.25.
    Lapis, the wizard's choice, is a great weapon augment, and has the added bonus of preventing nearby systems from overheating.

Ruby - Uncommon, Light, Weak. Attribute: Speed. Repair Speed Multiplier: 1.25.
    Ruby, the speedy gemstone, is great for overclocking systems or accelerating quickly. Rubies also have a strange property of preventing G-Forces occurring in an area around them.

Iron - Common, Medium weight, Durable. Attributes: Magnetism, Mechanics. Repair Speed Multiplier: 1.
    With decent armor and a manageable weight, Iron is a pretty good thing to build with. Iron has the added bonus of increasing the accuracy of weapons, and the efficiency of mechanisms.

Gold - Uncommon, Heavy, Weak. Attribute: Electricity. Repair Speed Multiplier: 0.8.
    Despite an inherent lack of obvious benefits, Gold is often used to decrease the energy cost of systems, and increase the energy output of generators.

Diamond - Rare, Medium weight, Strong. Attribute: Wireless. Repair Speed Multiplier: 0.7.
    Diamond makes for pretty good armor, but it doesn't stop there. Wireless energy systems built with Diamond are far better than those without, both in armor and transfer rate.

Emerald - Rare, Medium weight, Weak. Attributes: Potency, Energy Storage. Repair Speed Multiplier: 0.6.
    Emerald makes the best power storage units, capable of storing enough to power a small country. Emerald is also used to increase the potency of machines - at a cost.

Osmium - Uncommon, Heavy, Strong. Attribute: Kinetic. Repair Speed Multiplier: 0.4.
    Osmium makes for some of the best armor on the market, and is used in the best melee weapons money can buy. Osmium is also useful for projectiles - as long as it hits 'em, it'll do damage.

Here's each material's logo, in English reading order ( left to right, top to bottom ):
    Logo (2).png

And now we have the good stuff:
    If you thought that was it, you are sorely mistaken.

All of these are alloys of the previous, however, so their stats are averaged ( CQ's stats = [C+Q]/2 ). But their attributes are added ( CQ's attributes = C's attribute(s) + Q's attribute(s) ). Making alloys is balanced, however, by the ratio they are produced at ( 1CQ = 1C + 1Q ).*Maybe

*Names not finalized, too many to remember*

CQ
    CL
    CR
    CI
    CG
    CD
    CE
    CO

QL
    QR
    QI
    QG
    QD
    QE
    QO

LR
    LI
    LG
    LD
    LE
    LO

RI
    RG
    RD
    RE
    RO

IG
    ID
    IE
    IO

GD
    GE
    GO

DE
    DO

EO
    EDIT: Not doing that many alloys, way too many combinations.
    EDIT 2: Added the icons for each base material in the spoiler.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    WhitePaw2002 likes this.
  6. Fehn

The materials I listed are for construction of the outside parts of systems ( i.e. a reactor made of Gold has the same insides as a reactor made of Osmium ), so multiple parts of different types require the same amount of crafting ( i.e. a small Gold reactor needs 5 fuel rods, and a small Iron reactor also needs 5 fuel rods *).

*Small reactors may or may not require 5 fuel rods. I'm not sure yet.

In easier terms, the material does not change the recipe, because it is the change in the recipe.

EDIT: Easier to understand.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  7. Lord Zarnox

While that is interesting, my eight categories were not materials, but rather, classifications for different materials.
    There are four primary categories, and four secondary categories.
    Primary Categories:
    • Biological - comprises all parts that primarily use living tissue
    • Electrical - comprises all parts that primarily use digital electronic systems, such as computers (but not electromechanical systems)
    • Mechanical - comprises all parts that primarily use motion, such as gears, pulleys, hydraulics, pneumatics, etc.
    • Chemical - comprises all parts that primarily use chemical reactions (parts that use nuclear reactions are also in this category, for simplicity)
    Secondary Categories:
    • Cybernetic - hybrid of Biological and Electrical - these parts are Biological with added Electrical components
    • Robotic - hybrid of Electrical and Mechanical - all parts that use electromechanical systems, such as electric motors and generators, are in this category
    • Synthetic - hybrid of Mechanical and Chemical - comprises all generic materials (which aren't organic or highly reactive), such as metals, rocks, liquids, gases, etc.
    • Organic - hybrid of Chemical and Biological - comprises all materials that are, well, organic in nature

Fehn likes this.
  8. Boomik

Boomik I've never been on a forum without being banned...

Wait, is this a forum game, a TT game, or an actual game that you're developing?

Legionite likes this.
  9. Fehn

Ah.
    Not quite what I was expecting, but then, I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting.
    Definitely good stuff, though. A+
    *incoherent rambling*
    Developing.

Kind of. This thread is really the first "pitch" of this game, so I can get some feedback and new ideas, as well as see how well it's received by others ( cause I may be the only one who thinks this is cool ).

There is some code work going on, but nothing substantial. Just a bunch of ideas floating around.

*incoherent rambling*

*incoherent rambling becomes more incoherent*

10. Lord Zarnox

Probably a game we plan on developing.

Fehn likes this.
  11. Lord Zarnox

Did we just post at the same time?

Seth_Seth and Fehn like this.
  12. Fehn

I think we did

Seth_Seth and Lord Zarnox like this.
  13. Fehn

So, does this lack of replies mean that nobody has any suggestions or criticisms?

That is what this thread is really for, after all.

14. Fehn

This thread should be easier to understand now.

If it's not, let me know what to change, and I'll change it.

15. Soviet_Samuelson

Soviet_Samuelson Living in my pizza boxes because mom kicked me out

So, how will item creation happen? Will it be like we assemble tools out of the materials in a minecraft/TT fashion? How will we control our tools and will it be multiplayer and/or singleplayer? What kind of art style will it have?

This game, by the way, sounds really cool.

Fehn likes this.
  16. Fehn

1. Block parts can be crafted, but player equipment must be found, bought, or built.

2. Not entirely sure what the question is here.

3. Multiplayer and singleplayer campaign, hopefully.

4. I'm thinking of a mixture of Minecraft and TT, with a hint of a few other games that I like.

WhitePaw2002 likes this.
  17. Boomik

Boomik I've never been on a forum without being banned...

Sorry if I didn't catch it anywhere, but what will the graphics be like? Will it be 2D or 3D? Is it pixelated like arcade games or have realistic graphics like most other games? Is the graphics like Ark style realism or just something like TT style?

Fehn likes this.
  18. Fehn

I was thinking 3D, generally realistic ( just had a nice idea ), and kind of a mixture of Ark's realism and TT's realism.

The nice idea I had was related to graphics, in the form of client-side texture modifications ( texture packs ).

As I was already planning to add Über-mod support, this shouldn't be much different.

{insert_name_here} and Boomik like this.
  19. GamerParrish

GamerParrish Well-Known Member

So its minecraft basically?

Boomik likes this.
  20. Fehn

N-Nooooo...
    Kinda...
    Yea.

My first idea with this was to make a mod for minecraft, but there's no money in that but I thought that it might be cooler to instead make my own game, enabling me much more freedom.

But because reasons, I wanted to make it less like minecraft, so I added elements to the design. It is now a conglomeration of many of my personal favorite games ( by coincidence, of course ).

And it's still growing.

Soviet_Samuelson likes this.