Mapping Concept

Entropy

Jun 18, 2015
So, you could have an anchored block that when right-clicked, produces a menu with a map button and a 'map this area' button.
So you would hit the second button, and it would take an overhead picture/screenshot of a given radius. Then you would move it somewhere else and hit the button again and it would do it again, connecting this screenshot. The map button would show all your screenshots connected.
It might be possible to highlight your location and location of bases as well.

Reactions: Coder

Coder

Jun 30, 2015
How I'd like this to work:
1. A radar automatically maps everything in a certain radius (I dislike the idea of having to click something to map the area. It's a sci-fi game, my tech has a computer powerful enough to control weapons at real time. It's definitely capable of executing basic scripts).
1.5. I also see no reason to require a map making block to be anchored.
2. The map can then be viewed by clicking on a radar.
3. The map is stored on a per-save basis.
3. The map shows biomes, some geographical features and updating GPS locations of all the techs you own.
4. If an AI controlled tech with a radar wanders off it explores the map too.
P.S. It doesn't have to be a radar, but in my view it will be better not to create a separate part.

Additionally: I'd like to be able to change (and sometimes even disable or limit a range) markers of my techs both on the map and on the radar.

Last edited:

Entropy

Jun 18, 2015
Auto-mapping would take a lot of work, whereas a lot of the code is already in place for what I suggested.

Entropy

Jun 18, 2015
0. Do you have a source code access? The forum doesn't recognise you as a developer.
1. What makes you think that the code is already in place and why isn't it possible to call this code every update (or every N updates)?
No, but the devs have shown us the topview screenshot type of thing, and we already have a GUI for interactive blocks in the form of the Payload Terminal.
The game could have a problem if you just park for a while, and it takes lots of duplicate screenshots.

Lastly, I like the idea of having to think about mapping instead of just driving along and having your automapper map everything.

Reactions: Coder and ronnbert

Entropy

Jun 18, 2015
I like the idea of putting up a survey tower.

you roll out into the middle of BF nowhere, build a small tower. Add a battery, and wait 30 secs while it maps out to render range.
and it logs all the minerals, making the hassle worth it.
That sounds really fun.

zKreig

Jun 19, 2015
I like the idea of putting up a survey tower.

you roll out into the middle of BF nowhere, build a small tower. Add a battery, and wait 30 secs while it maps out to render range.
This sounds like a fantastic idea. I like it.

Coder

Jun 30, 2015
No, but the devs have shown us the topview screenshot type of thing, and we already have a GUI for interactive blocks in the form of the Payload Terminal.
But they have a radar renderer too. It's just the matter or remembering what areas are already scanned and rendering they in the same way the radar GUI does.
The game could have a problem if you just park for a while, and it takes lots of duplicate screenshots.
It the way you propose gets implemented, the game would store the whole map in one big image. So mapping the same place over and over again shouldn't affect the performance.
Makes no sense to me and here is why:
1. As I pointed out earlier:
It's a sci-fi game, my tech has a computer powerful enough to control weapons at real time.
2. This computer already knows what to display on the radar. And the disk space is dirt cheap. Why can't it store this information?
Why would you want to know where each iron deposit is located in the entire world? At any given moment most of this deposits are too far away from you to be useful.

Though I like the idea of having some options. A satellite imagery terminal that works exactly as Azirahael suggested but scans far greater range than the radar will be useful.

Last edited:

Azirahael

Jan 8, 2015
It's not about 'realistic.' it's about game balance and fun.

In this completed game, we want some interesting things to do, AND reasons to do them.

It's like the difference between "Kill 10 bad guys to proceed." and
"You must build a tech with these parts. here is a list of units that have them. Destroy them, and salvage the parts, for the next mission."

Stuff still gets blown up, but the intent and feel is quite different.

sure, you could have an auto map.
but having a rootable mapping unit, that uses power and takes some time to operate, gives you a mission.
One that you set the pace for.

Especially if you are mapping an area where you are out gunned:
Watch the rader.
Listen for the 'ping!' to tell you the survey tower has finished.
pack up fast and run!

Wanna know where EVERYTHING is?
go on an expedition and map it all.

don't care? don't.

Coder

Jun 30, 2015
The fact that convinced me: the radar displays only object locations but not biomes. And now I actually like the idea of having a satellite imagery terminal that works as you suggested because it is more challenging.

Last edited:
Reactions: doctor bond

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Feb 25, 2015
The top level of the radar should be satelite imaging from your satelite tech that you would have to build and launch into orbit. It would be able to map in realtime a very large area. It would allow tracking through options menu.

If you are able to launch enough you could fully survey the planet in realtime. With the help of a map block or option you could go over an area and see what is going on there before you go, allowing you to prepare the best way possible.

This idea would be a good way to set up interplanetary travel, even if you don't really get to play in space. It would be more convincing then just teleporting to another world or ship. Actually playing in space would be cool too don't get me wrong.

Just a thought

Reactions: Coder and ronnbert

zKreig

Jun 19, 2015
Awh, the old "video game needs to be just like real life" debate.

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Feb 25, 2015
Not like real life we want to keep it fun.:D

Could use the ideas and make them fit the game.

To make this game realistic would take away from the enjoyability and appeal of the game.

Just another thought
Have a good one