Manufacturing focused corporation - SmartBuild

P

Pink Kitty

Well, i'll bet that actual working arms are a pain to code.

More likely, you can have a block with an animated arm, that does something.
And waves the arm around in a semi convincing manner while doing so.

If you check the latest stream, Anton (i assume) was doing just that to the Trade Station.

The big issue is: what would they do?

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
May 31, 2017
Australia
The big issue is: what would they do?
Most things except causing damage. Coding some of the processes might be a bit tricky, such as moving resource chunks and components, but things like repairing and disassembling should be much easier, as they could use a similar code to the weapons for targeting (as far as I know, I'm not an expert on these things). The disassembly could be as simple as targeting blocks and causing them to pop off without taking any damage. Additionally, they could immediately put the removed block into the inventory for effective storage, as an alternative to dragging every block onto an SCU, or just dumping all the blocks on the ground and waiting for it to clean up your mess. They would likely have an interface simmilar to the filter conveyor, with different segments for: Repairing, disassembly/storage, recharging batteries, idling, etc. There would be sub categories in the disassembly/storage section for toggling corporations and block categories.

May edit later today...

Reactions: Lord_Chaos
P

Pink Kitty

So, if i understand right, they act as turbo boosters?

So they do whatever you attach them to, better?
Or whatever you set them to?

That sounds pretty cool.
but doing anything other than some sort of fixed animation loop is gonna be a huge task.

More likely, if they like the idea, it'll be a block like a small SCU that lights up various different colours to let you know what it's doing.

Because that's easy, and immediately obvious what it's doing.
Purple = Base cleanup
Green = Repair.
etc...

TLDR: cool idea. May not be practical as written.

Reactions: Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
May 31, 2017
Australia
I agree that it might not be the bet way to explain it, but the basic concept in itself should be worth looking into.

Stormo364

Feb 12, 2017
somewhere over the rainbow
Honestly, I think it would be better if there was just a single manufacturing corp, and then none of the other corps made crafting parts.
I like this idea but you would have to get the license for this corp very early game, maybe before GeoCorp as the game is becoming more crafting based (with rocks no longer respawning and limited shop stock)

also, if this corp is made, the other corps should still have their own scrappers and fabricators and maybe their own collectors.

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
I like this idea but you would have to get the license for this corp very early game, maybe before GeoCorp as the game is becoming more crafting based (with rocks no longer respawning and limited shop stock)
They could tie it into crafty mike. Instead of being some GSO guy, he could be a representative of this crafting corporation, promoting their products and showing you how they work. After going through his tutorials, he gives you the license to use the blocks for yourself.

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
May 31, 2017
Australia
They could tie it into crafty mike. Instead of being some GSO guy, he could be a representative of this crafting corporation, promoting their products and showing you how they work. After going through his tutorials, he gives you the license to use the blocks for yourself.
That is quite like how I proposed that the licence would be obtained in the second post. I still agree that this would be a good way to implement SmartBuild.

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
May 31, 2017
Australia
The develpors won't add a new corp ANYWHERE IN THE FUTURE, and judging by how easy it would be, the next corp is either Better Future or Reticule Research
I think I'm getting mixed messages from this. Are you trying to say that they won't add a new corp because it would be too easy to add it? Because I have no idea what you mean by what you said.

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
The develpors won't add a new corp ANYWHERE IN THE FUTURE, and judging by how easy it would be, the next corp is either Better Future or Reticule Research
This corp would be different from any other corps as far as development is concerned. Unlike BF or RR, or anything else really, we have most of the blocks that would be in this corporation: conveyors, refineries, etc. Any other blocks are ones that were planned to be made anyway, and probably with multiple versions. The only things they would have to do for this corp is a set of model changes, and then deleting the excess blocks.

The reason that corps like RR and BF aren't coming any time soon is because they would take a lot of work to make (even if they are "easier", which doesn't mean they are next anyway). This corp is the opposite; it would take less work for them to make it than for them to stick with their current plans of making crafting for all the corps. That's the whole point of the suggestion.

P

Pink Kitty

We haven't even fully fleshed out the corps we DO have.

Then, there's the other 4 planned after 1.0

After that, maybe, maaaybe they'll look at others.

Chances are, good ideas will be bolted to an existing corp.
Semi good ideas might go to an upcoming corp.

And once they're all in, their might be a reshuffle.

P

Pink Kitty

The Devs keep telling us off for this one.
The corps will never be fully fleshed out. There will eventually be more in them, but not in that sort of way. :(
And no art is ever truly finished.

There's 'good enough.'

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
Sounds like a good idea. If I were to modify this to work with the proposed SmartBuild corp, I would say that SmartBuild would get the universal manufacturing parts, but the other corps would also keep their scrappers and fabricators, so that they can be used at least until you unlock the universal variants. As for the example of Titan wheels for size, there is also the Hawkeye Large Rotor, which always looks a little odd when it pops out of a crate or fabricator, because that thing is huge. How do they even fit that in there in the first place?
Seeing what has been added since I last visited this thread I figured I would reply once again regarding the concept.

The Universal Fabricator being GSO based would permit early access as is intended in the campaign plot, and by moving the other corporations' blocks to being accessible via attachable dongle would provide continuity with the newly created component factory design which is also of GSO Style.

Additionally, there is merit to having a universal design for both fabricator and scrapper going forward to help reduce the size of fully featured crafting bases, along with the visual concern of "how can I fit a titan wheel into the GeoCorp Scapper for parts? etc hence why it was suggested they were made larger.

Not to mention since GSO is the corporation which sent the player into space in the first place it would make sense that they remain the predominant corporation and legitimately need access to the rest of the corporations since GSO does not have wheels of sufficient size to properly traverse the landscape upon which the player crashes during the initial cutscene of the campaign.

Lord_Chaos

Jul 18, 2017
Most things except causing damage. Coding some of the processes might be a bit tricky, such as moving resource chunks and components, but things like repairing and disassembling should be much easier, as they could use a similar code to the weapons for targeting (as far as I know, I'm not an expert on these things). The disassembly could be as simple as targeting blocks and causing them to pop off without taking any damage. Additionally, they could immediately put the removed block into the inventory for effective storage, as an alternative to dragging every block onto an SCU, or just dumping all the blocks on the ground and waiting for it to clean up your mess. They would likely have an interface simmilar to the filter conveyor, with different segments for: Repairing, disassembly/storage, recharging batteries, idling, etc. There would be sub categories in the disassembly/storage section for toggling corporations and block categories.

May edit later today...
This is MUCH better than the scu packing and unpacking we have now! Scu's are currently very op for when they are unlocked, I have been dying to find a suitable way that would balance them, and this is it! I have more to add about scu balancing, I will likely post another thread. (P.S. I am not bumping, this is still relevant.

Boomik

Apr 2, 2017
Stalk me not
These are really cool ideas and all, but I don't think the devs are planning on adding any more corporations. Like, they already have 4 more they need to implement!

Reactions: Legionite