Make enemy tech designs the end-game focus (Pokémon style).

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by ZeroGravitas, Sep 20, 2017.

?

Collecting enemy tech designs:

1. Great.

30 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. No thanks.

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Meh. (But why?)

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Opportunity:

The cornucopia of tech designs already in the game are arguably it's biggest asset. One that could be leveraged to even greater effect, extending the game's content and player engagement in a highly scalable fashion. With enthusiast players eager to contribute more quality builds. (As existing Canaries already do?)

I think that, currently, by mid-late game, campaign players tend not to see all that much of enemy techs. More powerful weapons, with good range mean that kills tend to happen at a good, sensible distance. Sadly this means that the designs are rarely recognised, let alone their finer points appreciated. Especially with bigger enemies covered with bubbles, often looking similar.

Proposal:

(1) A telescope and/or scanner block might go half way to rectifying this disappointment, by snapping a 3D model of any enemy, that players could scrutinise more closely, from safety. With a Grabbit-like interactive 3D model shown. But that could better be paired with a reason and reward for doing so...

(2) End-game mission(s)
    that introduce these new design snapshotting blocks...

(3) Given by an Hawkeye NPC, probably as an augmentation of the 'Tech Hunter' missions; player would have to forcefully disassemble (kill) each tech after tagging it. Making the designs a kind of trophy cabinet. (Who doesn't like collecting awards?)

(4) Alternatively (if this features is delayed until after TerraTech 1.0) it could be given to Space Junkers, or a more humane 'high tech' scanning mechanic with Better Future...

(5) Enemy tech designs to capture would probably be on a pre-selected short-list of the most appealing designs. Preferably, as rated by players (or enthusiast community members).

(6) Ideally, the in-game process of tech capture would incorporate a feedback mechanic to rate the best designs, keeping the selection fresh and curated, with minimal dev effort. (Possibly more surreptitious than explicit input.)

(7) Particular techs would be more likely to be found in certain biomes, encouraging hanging out in a range of landscapes (not just grinding the Salt Flats). But still a high degree of randomness, hitting that sweet, sporadic reward addictiveness.

(8) Collected tech designs would fill out blanks in a kind of scrap book. With progressively higher tiers of the mission having more designs to collect. E.g. from about 4 in tier one, to perhaps 80 at the limit...? (I've never actually played any Pokémon games or clones, so am naive to such mechanics, by the way.)

(9) Collected tech designs would be saved to a snapshot folder, separate to player's own original designs, but loadable in any game mode. Including in AI Tournament/Scenario mode(s) - a proposal to come later. (Please add separate Windows folders for each game mode, corresponding to separate in-game load menu tabs; I feel this is coming anyway.)

(10) Hopefully seeing these nifty designs provides players another spurt of inspiration to continue trying new builds, with seeing new ideas.

Edit: very rough, partial UI mock-up added in reply below:

#1 ZeroGravitas, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  2. Legionite

Legionite Airborne AI Assembler

Sounds like something that would be awesome to see in the missions panel.

The mission panel displays the Techs to hunt, rotating in tiny picture frames:
    Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 5.32.27 PM.png
    You can now see your enemies and can plot your method of attack ahead of time!

#2 Legionite, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Galrex, Zargn, Django and 10 others like this.
  3. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

+1, especially the telescope scanner thing, if they act like a proper telescope. I like sitting down and observing things in real life, so being able to observe techs from a distance (maybe from a monument station?) would be very nice. Capturing snapshots of enemies would be good too, since I have seen some amazing designs I would have tried out myself.

Aardvark123 and ZeroGravitas like this.
  4. JimmyBlether

JimmyBlether SFS SUPREME COMMANDER

Absolutely brilliant! Great ideas guys!

5. Lord_Chaos

Lord_Chaos Well-Known Member

+1 all of this. I hate the boring end-game setup, where you have litelerally nothing to do besides build things you've built a million times before and destroy enemies with techs that are either tiny compared to the enemy with powerful long range weapons or use a insanely large behemoth to wipe out everything that even gets in render range. Speaking of which, I am going to put down a bunch of my ideas I had, look for em in the suggestions category.

6. Boomik

Boomik ...

All are nice ideas, but some of them might change the game too much.

For this one, how about instead of tagging a tech before destroying it, it gives you a list of rogue techs that you have to find and destroy. It might give you a yellow question mark as well.

7. ZeroGravitas

Sure. That would be one way into this. But I'd say that the techs on the target list should be no more than a (black) silhouette, until player has encountered and scanned them. Otherwise, you'd just go out and kill a bunch of techs until the mission completes, identical in practice to the current Tech Hunter missions.

Awesome, a graphical mock-up.:) I was intending to do one myself (not quite like this screen, of course).

Hmm, I see (I think): so being able to see the tech's design before hand would let you know what type of tech to go hunting it with...? I guess you might have a large, heavily armoured fighters verses fast runners... But in practice you'll still be dealing with all the regular enemies along the way (or flying about to scout enemies more quickly), which will dictate your own design, no?

I think keeping the enemy tech designs mostly a mystery would make more compelling game play; hunting for the unknown on only a few clues. I mean, you could have this added to (some) existing missions too. But I was aiming to extend the end game by many hours, for the enthusiasts, with minimal dev effort on crafting bullet-proof set-piece missions.

Anyway, you goaded me into making a (terribly rough and inaccurate) UI mock-up myself:
    [​IMG]
    It would be bigger, with at least the full 4 columns of techs, currently in the load menu. With an expanded menu available in Campaign, as well as Creative/R&D, and the UI integrated with separate load tabs for techs from each game mode. Probably separate tabs for tech design collecting missions and general scans (with each tab literally a separate folder in the game's snapshot directory).

The image backgrounds for unknown techs could show the biome they are expected to be found in, as a subtle hint (if not making it more explicit too).

#7 ZeroGravitas, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  8. Legionite

Legionite Airborne AI Assembler

Ingenious!
    Would be right at home nearby the "Spawn Tech" sidebar.

harpo99999 likes this.
  9. SF Squiggy

SF Squiggy Well-Known Member

You should also be able to use enemy tech designs - destroying a really cool one is dissatisfying when it could be possible to play as it in R&D or something.

10. JimmyBlether

Good point, but this thread was last posted on half a year ago.

11. ZeroGravitas

Shhh! (Keep digging up my suggestion threads. ;)) It's still a relevant idea, no?

DrShadox, JimmyBlether and Zargn like this.
  12. JimmyBlether

I did say its a good idea.

Legionite and ZeroGravitas like this.
  13. DrShadox

DrShadox GeoCorp worker

I want that !

ZG , always efficient.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  14. noahthedog

noahthedog Member

Maybe to make it not so op where you start saving everything the moment you loaded a new world. It would require you to defeat a tech and then if you happen to encounter the same one that you already defeated you would get an option to snapshot it?

15. Lost Ninja

Lost Ninja Well-Known Member

I voted Meh!

I neither like the idea or dislike it, it's not the sort of thing I'd do more than a couple of times unless it were coupled to more tangible rewards*. I don't enjoy collecting stuff for the sake of collecting stuff (though my bookshelves might disagree) (well I collect maps but that's because I love maps not because I love collecting them).

So uh yeah, not my thing and unless it's forced on me I don't care if it's added or not with one exception: I really want a telescope/zoom/thing. :D Been on my wishlist of thing that I cannot be bothered to suggest but would love to have.

*By that I mean in the sense of I don't really care how other people build their techs, and I very seldom encounter techs that I think "whoah I love that tech" and tbh if I do I'd be able to get it anyway... ;) So if I'm being tasked with hunting down a rogues gallery of n'er-do-well techs to fill out a library I want phat loot like epic rail guns... or something of that nature.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  16. ZeroGravitas

This would definitely be a very late game mechanism, as something else that's somewhat worthwhile to keep you in-game, even after the main missions are all done.:)

Exactly. I'd love the population to get a really good overhaul and continue to evolve, dynamically, harnessing all player's inputs and the best of their builds.:)

#16 ZeroGravitas, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  17. Lost Ninja

Lost Ninja Well-Known Member

Fair point.

ZeroGravitas and JimmyBlether like this.
  18. DrShadox

DrShadox GeoCorp worker

19. ZeroGravitas

Oh blimey, "Great" has accrued 28 29 votes in the poll.:eek: Nice.:)

#19 ZeroGravitas, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    JimmyBlether and DrShadox like this.
  20. DrShadox

DrShadox GeoCorp worker

Yeah , a great score x)

ZeroGravitas likes this.