Make Crafting Great Again: Autominers

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Captain Load, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Captain Load

Captain Load Well-Known Member

Autominers are the #1 factor in making crafting completely irrelevant in TT. Its time to address this head on - they absolutely must be rebalanced. Here are some thoughts:

* More expensive: AMs (autominers) are one of the cheapest things you can buy and they are huge money cows. What piece of industrial equipment is like that? This one actually drills into the ground and pulls out minerals! They should cost at least 1000 BB.

* Slower mining: when AMs debuted they were a little slow. I say adjust the speed to be somewhere between the original and current rates of extraction.

* Inconsistent nodes: I haven't done the math on how much I can make from a single erudite node but I know its enough to buy a large, heavily armed tech. Vary the yield of nodes by maybe 50%. If necessary add a block that can survey a node to predict how much it will produce (I mean, its called the Galactic Survey Organization).

* Power requirement: Make AMs use a small to moderate amount of energy. Considering what they do it seems quite believable. If that seems too harsh for the early game then perhaps adding external power would increase the rate of extraction slightly (assuming the default speed had been lowered per my suggestion).

* Grand theft autominer: What if raiders could come along and do non-lethal damage to AMs? Imagine if they could switch to a different type of damage that actually let them capture AMs from players instead of destroy them?

* AI-friendly: In line with my suggestion to make AMs capturable, perhaps AIs could be empowered to place AMs on unclaimed nodes.

I have a few more ideas about tweaking AMs and tons more on crafting in general which I hope to post soon.

#1 Captain Load, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  2. WhitePaw2002

WhitePaw2002 Modding Husky

This should be numbered
    There shouls be a poll
    rhat's all

3. Captain Load

The only kind that would make sense is "rank ideas from most important to least important". Besides, the only opinions that will matter in the end are those of the Payload team. I'm just really hoping they realize how pointless and unrewarding the game has become since the crafting overhaul nerfed the campaign to oblivion.

4. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

Crafting requires fairly large amounts of automined resources, so I'm not sure if this is a good change. It would make resource gathering a very long and drawn out task.

Nyaruko and AstraTheDragon like this.
  5. harpo99999

harpo99999 ah kick till it starts

from the various info (from devs) it is 1000 chunks of resource per mineable node
    erudite (after refining) sells for bb233, so 1000 x bb233 = bb 233000, and at 30 seconds per chunk (2 chunks per minute)= 500 minutes = 8 hours & 20 minutes for one miner to empty one resource node

AstraTheDragon likes this.
  6. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

From personal experience, each seam actually has 960 chunks, not 1000, so it would be 8 hours to empty 1 seam.

7. Lost Ninja

Lost Ninja Well-Known Member

Make the price you sell ore chunks for reflect how many of said chunks you have sold. (With a minimum & maximum price/per.)

So Erudite might sell for 400BB if you sell very little, but if selling en-mass could go as low as 50BB...

Have the daily price reset at dawn (same time TP refills), if you don't sell anything that day the price will adjust back toward it's normal baseline.

You could even add it into the GeoCorp mission structure with buy orders to fill. (eg: The Price of Unrefined Wood has gone through the roof, we'll guarantee a payment of 12BB/chunk for the first 500 chunks. Payment on Completion.)

Perhaps have a knockon effect of Resource Brick costs being based on the price of the sold resources.

If/When SMP comes along roll the system out (optionally) to all players on the server, so you could actually inolve other players in a form of trade war.

Nyaruko, Sokolov and AstraTheDragon like this.
  8. Captain Load

I've long supported a real economy based on supply and demand.

Nyaruko likes this.
  9. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Hmm, that sounds suspiciously like you auto-fabricated 8 GC compressed blocks, then the remainder got deleted...? Maybe the count's been changed recently, by the devs, but I've previously counted 998 for a single Erudite seam.

That's currently a long term goal. It would certainly be able to counteract the money farming meta. A little complicated, though, in that the game might start to feel like a 4X or other genre.

The easiest way to patch excessively easy money, for now, would be to lower the occurrence of Erudite seams, greatly. A little sad, but reducing the value would screw up all the block recipes or prices.

I'd thought (possibly suggested) that any site that mines/sells a large value of resources could summon an invasion type event. So, at the least you'd have to heavily defend such operations.

#9 ZeroGravitas, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  10. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

In my most recent campaign save, made right before 1.0, I was mining Ignite from 3 seams. I got exactly 120 GSO resource blocks before the seams ran dry.
    120÷3×24 = 960