Make block rotation easier

zanzistar

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Hi @PyroFire

@higekun has been making some improvements to the block rotation system recently. We are aiming to allow things like:

- Rotation in the air to allow players to see which orientation they will be starting with before snapping it to a block.

- Sorting of the rotation options list to offer ones where the APs are in different positions before ones where the block seems to stay in a relatively similar position doe to being symmetrical.

- I'm keen to show the rotations as a translation movement visually rather than snapping to different orientations to make it clearer which was an object is moving on each rotation, although that may not be possible as it would slow down rotation overall.

Amongst other things, Russ also added a change where the blocks will remember which orientation another instance of teh same block was placed in so that wheels and propellers might all be placed in teh same way one after another without lots of rotation cycling each time. However, I think this might have introduced a slight bug where some wheels will be placed correctly on one side of a tech and then default to an upside down position on the other side, (GC wheels especially). So we'll have to fix that.

We do have plans to make it better.

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
Hi @PyroFire

@higekun has been making some improvements to the block rotation system recently. We are aiming to allow things like:

- Rotation in the air to allow players to see which orientation they will be starting with before snapping it to a block.

- Sorting of the rotation options list to offer ones where the APs are in different positions before ones where the block seems to stay in a relatively similar position doe to being symmetrical.

- I'm keen to show the rotations as a translation movement visually rather than snapping to different orientations to make it clearer which was an object is moving on each rotation, although that may not be possible as it would slow down rotation overall.

Amongst other things, Russ also added a change where the blocks will remember which orientation another instance of teh same block was placed in so that wheels and propellers might all be placed in teh same way one after another without lots of rotation cycling each time. However, I think this might have introduced a slight bug where some wheels will be placed correctly on one side of a tech and then default to an upside down position on the other side, (GC wheels especially). So we'll have to fix that.

that is WHAT IS happening at present with the block painting, and it is VERY VERY VERY frustrating.
please try to get it fixed as soon as possible

StyxAnnihilator

I (too) have suggested a rotation logic. For me mine were pretty logic, but not sure how many understood it.
Suggest try it out and see what people think. Ought to be pretty easy to change the code to that one. And back or to something else if not liked.

P

Pink Kitty

Hi @PyroFire

The problem is that it doesn't 'stick'.
you laboriously work your way through the rotation options to get it facing the right way, then when you move it into position, it ignores you, and snaps to some other position.
Then, when you get another piece, it starts from its default orientation, and you have to do it all over again.
AND it often deselects the block you were painting with.
AND it's worse on bigger units.

I'd suggest rotating in the air, and NOT snapping to some automatic rotation when you go to position it.
And if it doesn't fit that way around, then it doesn't fit.
No autorotation.
Or even better, a way to turn it on and off, like an 'autorotate' button next to the 'paint' button on the palette.

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
Hi @harpo99999,

Which part are you talking about?

Thanks,
Kris
I have had it with all the wheels, the various guns and all the blocks other than the 1x1x1's, most easily seen when in the build beam and changing from one block to another without clicking on the block that was being painted with to de-select it then clicking on the next block to paint with (this gives a next block that thinks it will link, but invariably does not, gets damaged and closes the build beam)