LMEs or Hovers?

桂桃~

I'm planning on making a supermassive airship, like 4,000,000 BB big. For such a tech, would LMEs or Fortress Hoverpads using the hover bug be the most effective method of movement?

Also does the hover bug do anything for the lift capacity?

Website
duckduckgo.com
Hoverbug would be the most effective option, as a relatively small hoverbug can hold up a large weight. It also adds some speed due to hovers being able to gimbal. I'd recommend using GSO quad hovers instead of Fortress hovers though, as the GSO hovers are more powerful per block occupied.

If you have more upwards facing hoverbug, the lift capacity increases.

AstraTheDragon

A dapper dragon
I would strongly recommend hoverbug for something supermassive for space efficiency. Since the changes to hovers the hoverbug has become even more potent, and can levitate astonishing weight.
2019-08-22 11_43_24-TerraTech.png < In my Thwomp the entire thing (which is full of fuel tanks and thrusters) is suspended using 16 (activated) cells' worth of GSO Large Hover Pad and four wheels. (It actually has 32 cells' worth of GSO Large Hover Pads but only half of any given pad is pushing against a wheel.) Theoretically I could even add 100% of the weight again and it could still hover because my hover controllers are only set to 50% power.

As QuackDuck said, I would recommend GSO Large Hover Pads because in my tests they seem the most space efficient. (Power to space.) They're also useful to stack upon each other because they can reach wheels far away from them.
1566474483477.png < All the hover plates stacked here, even the top one, can reach the wheels and push against them.

Falchoin

Why make this an "or" question? Use both! That way you gain the benefits of the hoverbug as stated above plus the flexibility of adjustable lift on the fly at a keystroke. If you add non-bugged hoverplates you could even have it switch between airship mode and hovercraft mode depending on lift settings.

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
You could use the hover bug to basically make your tech weightless and then use the LME's for up and down movement while venture zero propellers could be used for forward and back.
That was my basic recipe for large flyer/hover techs.
Hope it helps, Have a good one [8D)