List of blocks that aren't that great.

Faffywaffy

Well-Known Memer
I'm planning on taking a long break from Terratech in hopes that the game will have more content and gameplay value in the future, but not before leaving some feedback. It's important to keep in mind that these opinions are a result of testing, block information, and battles between players with optimized techs of similar price.

Better Future Class-D Laser Ray: This is probably the worst weapon in all of Terratech. Although the 2500 damage from the blocklist may look impressive, it's important to keep in mind that energy weapons have a negative damage multiplier against shields, so you'll really be doing 1250 damage most of the time AND without any splash, which means that if the enemy's shields are down, you'll only be destroying one block at a time. I was originally going to compare this to GSO's Gigaton Cannon, but after considering the multiplier, even the Megaton totally outclasses it. The weapon needs a big overhaul.

GSO Turbine Propeller: Incredibly weak. Making a pure GSO flier requires an absurd amount of these. They have a hard enough time carrying a basic aircraft frame, let alone weapons, batteries, or resources. I tested it, they apply about as much force as a Venture's tiny Pinwheel Propeller. Let that sink in for a moment. Did I mention they cost over BB$$ 8,000? That's more than Venture's vastly superior Zero Propeller.

Hawkeye Monster Mortar: Definitely one of the worst. The block description is misleading. It does NOT ruin someone's day when the mortar hits them, it does a measly 500 damage with 3-4 blocks splash. This doesn't even come close to justifying its incredibly slow reload and overall difficulty in hitting moving targets.

Hawkeye Propeller Fan: Decent power and hitpoints, but the absurd price tag of BB$$ 21,789 makes it hard to justify its use. Don't use unless you really want aesthetic consistency with your Hawkeye aircraft.

GSO Big Bertha Cannon: Totally outclassed by Hawkeye's insanely OP battleship cannon in every way, including price. This is a huge slap in the face, because while placing a Big Bertha cannon on your tech can be difficult and requires a bit of brainpower, you can stack Hawkeye's cannons on top of eachother like they're bricks. I think designers deserve better for sacrificing all that space. It should do at least twice the damage, and get a larger blast radius too.

Shotguns (All corps): The damage output of these is horrendous across all the variants, especially the rotating ones. The usefulness of the knockback is unreliable and gimmicky at best. Along with buffs to these weapons, I hope Venture gets a really powerful grade 3 shotgun because it's kind of ridiculous that Venture doesn't have any weapons that do good alpha damage. Hit and run should be their whole approach to combat, why do they have to rely on other corps weapons for that?

Hawkeye Seeker Missile Pod: Extremely underwhelming for its cost (BB$$22,000) doesn't rotate, low range. Straight up inferior to GSO's missile battery, (Which isn't in need of nerfing.)

More on part 2

Last edited:

Faffywaffy

Well-Known Memer
Venture Cluster Missile: Would be great for hit and run attacks if the missiles had more of a punch. It also has horrible structure values and is very likely to destroyed by explosives hitting your shields. To reduce lag, I would go for quality over quantity and raise the price to around 19k, but raise the splash and increase the damage to about 300-400 per missile so the damage is similar to Hawkeye's cruises, but it gets spread out more.

Venture Crossfire Rifle: Totally ill-suited for venture. A weapon like this should really belong to GSO. It's cheap, medium range, and best used in slugfests. Anyway, the damage output doesn't really justify the frontal orientation even when used en masse.

Gigaton/Hg1 Cannon Turret: These are decent weapons, but the placement zones around them are totally square and give you no leeway whatsoever to put things on the corners or any other spot you think would have adequate clearance. Part of what makes Megatons an overall better weapon is the fact that they're compacted perfectly into their block volume and thus efficient with space.

GSO Armour plates: Hawkeye's have roughly double the health and cost about one-fifth more. Is this really necessary? Hawkeye already has slopes and wrap armor plates that compliment their aesthetic much better. GSO's flat armor plates deserve to be more cost-effective, it's the one advantage they (should) have over other corps.

Hawkeye Railgun: The damage output is very poor, 320 per shot according to the blocklist. While it can penetrate shields and blocks, splash weapons do that by default over a larger area (which is absolutely broken.)

Hawkeye Hunter Railguin: the latter except slightly shittier. The fact that it can rotate is moot, since you'll want to be using this weapon at ranges beyond the 150-ish meter radius your tech can detect enemies in. Payload, your game has been in development for almost 5 years, why is this still an issue?!

Energy weapons (all corps): So you probably remember the multiplier I brought up earlier. Mainly due to the existence of explosives, most techs live and die by their shields as opposed to armor, so using them pretty much means your damage will be halved for 90% of the fight. This is one of the reasons why most of Better Future's arsenal is very underwhelming as-is.

GSO 3-pound Cannon: While they do their job in the campaign mode early on, they should get their range upgraded somewhat so they can work better as a companion weapon to GSO's Megaton Cannons.

Hawkeye Plasma Jaws/any other plasma beam: Damage is absolutely horrible.

There is probably much more mediocrity within Terratech's palette of blocks, and I welcome you to bring them to light. These are just the ones that stood out to me. Now, for everyone who's dying to say, "You used this weapon wrong, it's actually really good," I assure you I found many novel and abstract used for many of these weapons, none of which were practical. Also, pretty much any weapon is usable in campaign due to the overall low-difficulty of the mode. The AI is lacking and the enemy designs are generally poor, so just because you "used it good in campaign," it doesn't mean it's a great weapon.

Last edited:

Faffywaffy

Well-Known Memer
Instead of insulting the devs you should tell them ways to make it better instead.
When I haven't outright suggested an improvement, I've narrowed down what the issues are so they know what to improve. Plus, it's up to them how they buff these blocks.

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Yeah, @Faffywaffy , I agree with most of these, with a couple exceptions. Plasma beam weapons aren't really "weapons" per se, so much as mining implements. They're very good in that role. It's also probably also the first time I've ever heard someone say seekers are underpowered.

Please do try to be more polite - your tone is pretty off-putting and negative here and in other threads. Honey is more persuasive than vinegar, and all that.

Faffywaffy

Well-Known Memer
Please do try to be more polite - your tone is pretty off-putting and negative here and in other threads. Honey is more persuasive than vinegar, and all that.
I'll try. I'm merely being honest with how I feel about things. The reason I care so much is because the way I see it, Terratech could be one of my favorite games of all time, but it isn't quite there yet. It's super frustrating to see a lack of progress being made on important issues that hold it back

Green4Gaming

Mindless Dominion Leader
The Monster Mortar and Seeker Missile Pod are both quite powerful, because of their damage and in the case of the Missiles their extremely high speed.

Faffywaffy

Well-Known Memer
The Monster Mortar and Seeker Missile Pod are both quite powerful, because of their damage and in the case of the Missiles their extremely high speed.
When I said the Monster Mortar was one of the worst, I wasn't lying. Doing the splash tests again, the radius is closer to 4-5 blocks but that hardly redeems it. We're talking about a weapon that does 500 damage, with a 5 second reload, with a low projectile velocity that fires in a large arc that requires you to be within a specific distance from your target in order to hit, meaning you only have like one or two chances to hit the enemy tech with this thing before that distance is crossed. The best you can do is make it somewhat more intuitive by orienting it so the shells come out 45-ish degrees. Does this sound like a weapon that's "quite powerful?"

Now, the damage numbers may not mean much if you don't have anything to compare them to, so i'm happy to oblige you. Venture Rapid Cannon does 500 damage per shot and fires two rounds every second, with a splash radius of 4 blocks. It's a good weapon.

Also, while the GSO Missile Battery and Hawkeye Seeker missile pod do roughly the same DPS, the Seeker Missile:
- Doesn't rotate
- Costs more money
- Has less health points
- Has less range
The speed is more of a disadvantage than anything, because it makes the missiles less maneuverable.

I'm repeating myself here.

Last edited:

Hlebuw3k

The Bread Cat
While i agree with most of your thoughts, i dont understand whats wrong with Hawkeye Propeller Fan. Yes, it might be a little overpriced, but its one of the best Propellers for the biggest aircrafts, since it can fill big spaces very easily, and still a decent one for small ones (i was able to come up with an interesting desighn that uses less than 10 blocks in total). And also, when you unlock it, you are probably at the stage of the game, when you have so much money, you dont need to worry about it. You can just scrap blocks and sell the resources, and still have more blocks than you will ever need.

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
I could be wrong, but you seem to be writing consistently from a PVP/deathmatch perspective. Small techs, short ranges. Is that true?

As to this comment:
Now, the damage numbers may not mean much if you don't have anything to compare them to, so i'm happy to oblige you. Venture Rapid Cannon does 500 damage per shot and fires two rounds every second, with a splash radius of 4 blocks. It's a good weapon.
This kind of comment is really condescending. I, myself, experimentally measured and published the damage and rate of fire of every weapon in the game (at the time) back in version 1.0, and others have done similar. Literally every aspect of this game has been parsed to death on these forums. Shield drain rates, wheel speeds, gyroscope behavior, weapon performance, and anything else you can think of. Generally we're a well educated bunch.

Monster mortars are a perfect example of a weapon whose dps belies its capability. It's dps is anemic, yes, but it has the highest projectile life and even some tracking. I've exploited this to great effect to make bombing helicopters, able to engage from 600+ meters. My favorite tech in my first campaign playthrough used this method. Not viable in PVP, but very fun in campaign. I do agree it needs to be buffed at the end of the day, but it's not useless. Similarly, the seeker pods fit in a very small volume. You can put two in the same footprint as the GSO missile launcher. If you've constructed your tech to kite at range, like say, with a medium hovercraft, they can pummel opponents into dust more effectively than the GSO launcher if you have more of them mounted.

Last edited:

Legionite

LegionKnight
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
To All Concerns:
Most of the time, the devs are busy with things in the coding, and are unable to actively tweak things.
They did just tweak the shields, but really only the prices...
Not really sure why the new blocks are being added faster than the coders can patch them other than console and Campaign MP.

Better Future Class-D Laser Ray:
Frankly the concept was supposed to be like this:
yamatog.gif
Similar to a Positron Cannon since TerraTech seems to lack those.

Originating from this picture:
BF Class-D Turret.png
Screen_Shot_2019-04-18_at_12.30.13_PM.png
Yaaaay.png
I just think the devs haven't gotten around to it yet...

GSO Turbine Propeller:
This has been the single weakest thing in GSO as far as I remember from even back then when it was the only prop in TerraTech.

It definitely deserves a buff for being the oldest prop in the game.

Venture Cluster Missile:
These come fairly early in the game, around VEN grade 2 in campaign.
They generally fail at being a good weapon, but fill in that empty hole where fliers can be viable early game.
Coupling these with an aircraft early-game allows the aircraft to be useful in combat.

Beyond that, it is a literal toy and should not be spammed.

I generally find that the GSO armor plates refuse to fall off often before they are destroyed, unlike their Hawkeye counterparts.
But I certainly do agree that they aren't worth it if they are more expensive...

GSO Big Bertha Cannon:
All I can say was this thing was a literal automated artillery piece back then, making it unique and capable of shooting beyond ranges that missiles could dream of.
Legacy Big Bertha
Bertha Original.png
(Loading in this Tech results in only the cab spawning)
This was likely taken out of the game for balance reasons.

I have no idea who has control over the block-making, knowing that the Big Bertha is SRQ's block, and that Payload owns the actual block.

Currently how it stands, it is in the same function as the Battleship cannon, and far worse at it...

Hawkeye Seeker Missile Pod:
These missiles should have been for dogfights, but even then it is underwhelming...
The steering speed of these missiles don't really feel like they are at their best.

Hawkeye Monster Mortar:
Even middle mouse button cannot help this one.
There are generally not many cases where a mortar like this is actually useful against anything for that matter.

But the high arc has it's own advantages to compensate in odd, specific applications.
No other mortar can shoot this high, and no missile dares to travel that high angle above the target to come crashing down.
It is very useful for shooting over high ridges, or abusing terrain elements to take zero damage from nearly any weapon in the game, excluding itself.

In MP, it is unlikely for the players to be near a monument.
These are EXTREMELY handy for a base situated in the monument aftermath of the grade 3 Hawkeye boss mission.

Faffywaffy

Well-Known Memer
Shooting over hills is great, but I can just drive around/over it and shoot your ass. I've hosted plenty of Creave MP servers in the desert/mountain biome where players will load a mortar tech they've designed to try and take advantage of the hilly terrain, but it doesn't work. No-ones just going to sit there and eat mortars. That's why it needs to do tons of alpha damage, because you're not going to have many chances to hit someone with it.

Last edited:

Falchoin

I must be one of the few who likes the fact the Hawkeye seeker missiles aren’t on turrets. This means they always fire, unlike turrets which will eventually block their own line of fire by rotating to an enemy they have no hope of aiming at. Due to missiles always tracking the nearest target (unless locked on) it’s a way to engage multiple targets at the same time. They can also be better protected since no allowance for turret arc of fire is necessary.

All that said, I wouldn’t say no to a missile turning rate buff and/or cost reduction for them.

Legionite

LegionKnight
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
20190926175409_1.jpg
I am currently experimenting on a mod that tweaks the Class-D to make it more useful in combat.
It would fire a very brief salvo of lasers with travel just slightly slower than the Zeus' laser.
This salvo does more damage than what the Class-D does currently, but with a longer burst cooldown.
It also does some slight splash for the AP effect.

Currently the Class-D fires out a singular pathetic shot every 6 seconds that is terrible at hitting anything compared to the other lasers. It deals a bunch of damage, but only if it hits, which it never seems to do unless in VERY close range, making it moot against other powerful alternatives at close-range.

I can just drive around/over it and shoot your [REDACTED]
Please mind your Language
This is a PG - Forum

The Monster Mortar is absolutely useless in MP. I don't even bother using it in MP.
It is only slightly useful in Campaign as a method to exploit the terrain to protect bases
(Which are arguably underused for a reason), and that is still questionable even in the infinitely unlikely case of PVP Campaign...
compensate in odd, specific applications.
Even middle mouse button cannot help this one.
There are generally not many cases where a mortar like this is actually useful against anything for that matter.

Green4Gaming

Mindless Dominion Leader
Also, while the GSO Missile Battery and Hawkeye Seeker missile pod do roughly the same DPS, the Seeker Missile:
- Doesn't rotate
- Costs more money
- Has less health points
- Has less range
The speed is more of a disadvantage than anything, because it makes the missiles less maneuverable.

If those are your reasons for calling the Hawkeye Seeker Missile a bad weapon, then here are my reasons, by the way, every single missile has its own uses.
-The launcher doesnt rotate, which means it will always be able to shoot in a dogfight.
-The missiles travel super fast
-The launcher is only two thirds of a block tall so some weapons can fire over it when aimed a bit down.
-The highest DPS missile (when taking explosive radius into consideration)

I have no clue on how a missile that goes faster is less likely to hit its target but thats probably just an Avalanche fanboy argument.