Linear motion engine need to be a loot stronger

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Agreed:
(19) Linear engine (hover-bug replacement) was confusing to use and it needs to be about 5 times more powerful - I couldn't even tell that it was on, because a whole tone of them wouldn't lift anything.
Although, we should take into account the weight of the engine block itself; if it's the same density as a GSO One-block, then they are currently calibrated to only just lift their own weight. 5 times stronger would be their own weight + 8 GSO One-blocks (or equivalent - e.g. 2.7 GSO batteries).

I wonder if the devs wanted to avoid them being used a super-compact, magical rotors, though? (I'm not going to say the words 'game balance' - I know, I know...). I'd guess not, given that hover steers now have such an amazing power to weight ratio.

(P.S. Tell me if you'd like me to edit the thread title.)

AstraTheDragon

A dapper dragon
Website
1drv.ms
I'm not completely sure, but the Liner Motion Engine might be intended to be used to make all rotors in the same axis of motion able to be controlled using the throttle adding and subtracting system, like helicopter rotors. This is certainly something it's very good at. The intention may have never been to make it a form of independent propulsion.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
the Liner Motion Engine might be intended to be used to make all rotors in the same axis of motion able to be controlled using the throttle
It's an interesting thought. As you say, it certainly does that right now. But my guess is that wasn't the idea.

Also, I *really* want manual override for throttle (enable/disable) for all axis, at all points in the game, without any special blocks. (Please.:))

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
I'm not completely sure, but the Liner Motion Engine might be intended to be used to make all rotors in the same axis of motion able to be controlled using the throttle adding and subtracting system, like helicopter rotors. This is certainly something it's very good at. The intention may have never been to make it a form of independent propulsion.
If this is actually the case, it is pretty unfortunate that this is the hover bug thrust replacement, as it doesn't even provide any. You could make an actual hover bug thruster in the same amount of space.

Random Spaceship

Aussie Booklord
No, you can't control how much the propellers trust you. However, yes you can control the thrust of steering hovers/propellers in that direction.

Website
duckduckgo.com
Linear Motion Engines got real buffed now in 1.0.1.7; one can lift it's own weight plus over 14 GSO one blocks worth of mass!:

Very nice! I'll have to try and make an airship with them to see if they've been buffed enough.

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Hooray for the buff!

However, word of warning, it still isn't as strong as a regular GSO hover plate against a hub wheel. They also seem to be a bit all-or-nothing in a way the rotors aren't, I haven't totally figured it out yet.

Falchoin

In 1.0.1.7 they seem to have about half the thrust as a Better Future Small Ion Drive. If the point of the Linear Motion Engine is to replace the hoverbug, it needs to be stronger still. My litmus test will be when this tech can stop in the top of the loop in R&D mode like its hoverbug variant.

Roach2.png

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
In 1.0.1.7 they seem to have about half the thrust as a Better Future Small Ion Drive.
I'm measuring closer to 70%. Small Ion drive can lift ~20 GSO One-Blocks worth of weight:

The small Ions top out just over 200mph:

Ion MiniPLane 205mph.png

While the LMEs are already pushing towards 170mph:

LME MiniPlane 160mph.png

Arguably the Ion drives should be buffed anyway, seeing as they are only as powerful as the Venture Zero Propellers, but are unidirectional.

I think the SMEs probably shouldn't be made quite as powerful as a the hover-bug (especially if you're just counting only the volume occupied by the hover and wheel). The hover plates were made really very potent with the big buff they got back around the beginning of this year. And SMEs are more controllable, etc. They shouldn't be the ultimate engine in the game, as they are a bit boring looking and each to use.

They also have far easier attachment options, forward and reverse (and throttle control).

So maybe another 25% buff, at most...(?).

I think a more important factor, now, in making them a replacement for hover-bug in contraptions, is to give options to manually enable throttle in all the different axes. Including the rotational axes, so that these can be used for rotary power (e.g. multi-techs in the Great Ball Contraption, etc).

Last edited:

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Website
ngttadventures.blogspot.se
I think a more important factor, now, in making them a replacement for hover-bug in contraptions, is to give options to manually enable throttle in all the different axes. Including the rotational axes, so that these can be used for rotary power (e.g. multi-techs in the Great Ball Contraption, etc).
Maybe new blocks with this properties, i like LME as unidirectional force source.

Falchoin

The hoverbug version of the wall crawler I posted above uses the large GSO hoverplates and GSO hubwheels. The linear motion engine does not provide more attachment points, it’s full outer coverage either way. However, the tech I posted above cannot stop in the loops like the hoverbug version can.

If the intent of the LME is to replace the hoverbug, then it needs a buff. If the intent is to provide a throttle to turn on other, stronger means of propulsion to generate the same effect as the hoverbug then it’s probably fine as it is. In fact, it may be better to propose a 1x1 throttle block with selectable axes via block action menu (maybe even have it override the alyways on throttle of the Hawkeye heli-blades).