Legionite's Walkers, Hovers, Airborne AI Experiments and Stuff

How Useful are My Airborne AIs?

• Very Useful

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Moderately Useful

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Better Than The Current Land AI

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Needs More Work (I have seen the latest Airborne AI yet)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat Messy

• Bad Idea

• Meh.(Neutral)

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

Legionite

Sekret surpise
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
The wings are to stabilize the AI in-flight better to make it more "natural" instead of hopping around and to give it a slower decent to prevent crashing into the ground too hard at a sharp angle (that is also what the gyroscopes do).

The hovers keep the plane from hitting the ground, maintaining a good attack height profile, and are used in place of strong forward lift wings to prevent the Aircraft from flying off into (height) infinity.

They don't actually fly without the hovers, as those hovers act as the AI's pitch assistance, filling in the spot where the AI doesn't know what to do. The hovers also act as an emergency upwards pusher incase the craft is about to ram into a tree, or a hillside.

They could end up flying into (length) infinity if they are left unattended, so make sure that they are on the "Follow leash" or else they will escape like a real bird running from it's owner.

And about the AI altitude management question: I haven't managed to find any other tactics to make the AI perform aerial maneuvers, but I am looking at the conveyors for hope for that (time based conveyer sequenced maneuvers, to be exact) they can compensate for what the AI cannot do. (Back then when blocks could be placed on conveyors, I was creating long distance trolleys that rode on conveyors, and AI aircraft that could be turned on and off, but not maintain altitude.)

My creations all use the Venture hover-plates, as those tend to have the highest push height and decent thrust in comparison to the Terraphobe. They need to work with the hub wheels to meet their maximum potential though.

(The more I think about it, the more my AI Aircraft builds are like glorified hovers that are made to be controllable. Basically "Low Alt Aircraft Hover-Bombers")

Last edited:

Legionite

Sekret surpise
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
A break from all of the AI Shenanigans, The Mini Gun Ship is a very powerful short ranged slugger that destroys GEO Corp batteries in mere seconds.
MiniGunShip.png
"Depletes GEO Corp Batteries in Seconds"- maybe...
It has the short-ranged Miniguns to shoot shields to oblivion and a upwards missile launcher to deal with "bird attacks".

Last edited:

Legionite

Sekret surpise
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
Inspired by @Sozin and @Lyons flyers, this AI Aircraft is literally a glorified AI controllable hover-craft.

In order to prevent the AI from Build Beaming, the craft has to prevent itself reaching angles greater than about 50 degrees. In order to prevent getting stuck on a ridiculously steep hillside, the bottom hovers are boosted significantly in comparison to my older AI Aircraft designs.

It is created off the same characteristics of the Red Bird, but is faster, more stronger, and avoids the ground better (might). It also is a better pursuant of enemies (or the player).:)

I present the latest and greatest AI Aircraft Destroyer-Class [now called Halycron-Class] of them all, the
Halycron Sky Scamperer MK8 - Second Generation
HalycronSkyScamperer1.png

It has been able to scale ridiculously steep mountainsides without fully stopping and outperform most common trees (those chaotic mountain trees are still in the way), but comes at a cost.;)

It is basically the "Ferrari" of my AI Aircraft at the moment.:D

Comes with bonus shields that might actually hinder it (made to take some missile hits, not Megaton rounds.).:confused:

It might be weaker than it's predecessors in terms of armor though.:eek:

(Before this, there was a failed prototype of a larger version of the Red Bird [named the "Colorful Bird"] made yesterday. It had significant trouble avoiding the terrain, so I benched it for future revisions):(

Last edited:

Legionite

Sekret surpise
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
Firefly AI MK2 - Second Generation

Firefly AI MK2.png
A smaller and more appropriate fighter than the Red Bird, the Firefly AI MK2 is a very nimble craft that manages to turn better than the Halycron-Class and more appropriately fits the role of a fighter being able to turn much faster on a dime than the Red Bird. This craft can also be called the Firefly-class AI Fighter.

It cruises forward at roughly 95 mph.

The Red Bird is still vastly better in terms of fire-power, it is still the current leading prototype for my more recent AI Aircraft designs.

For those who didn't know, when I had began work on the first of my Low-Altitude AI Aircraft, I wanted them to be the "wings" for the Enemy AI.:D
I have always wondered; "How would people react in Terra Tech if they saw the Enemy AI intentionally fly for the first time?";)

I see downsides with this now, mainly being the missiles becoming a requirement to survive against AI Aircraft assaults.:(

Edit: Saw the Community Core (didn't expect that much excitement.:D)

Last edited:

Legionite

Sekret surpise
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
Looking at the Terra Tech developers' excitement, it would be awesome if you included some of my more recent Techs for use in the game, or to use them as an example to get the Enemy AI to fly on its own!;)

If you are going to use my Airborne AI Techs, be sure to use the Airborne AI Techs after the Red Bird, as those work the best of all of my current Airborne AI Techs. Using the older Airborne AI may lead to issues, such as not avoiding mountains fast enough, or getting into Build Beam loops.:confused:

And as an added question, is the Hover Bug harmful in any way? I have only have noticed that it was used to create a number of ingenious flying Techs, both seen in this Terra Tech Community and the Steam Community, and can't see how it could be bad.
(The only case I could think of was trying to build odd hovering techs with wheels in front of them to look cool, but it sort of makes sense if that was the case, the hovers shouldn't be working at all when obstructed...)

Current best performing Airborne AIs:

The Old Reliable Red Bird

The Powerful Halycron-Class (Halcyon was misspelled on purpose as it is definitely not peaceful)

The Hyper Firefly-Class

The Airborne Avenger, Great Dark Shark, and other Airborne AI are all outdated prototypes that failed the terrain dodging tests in Creative Mode. If you want me to update them, I can try, but they were mostly engineered for level flight in R&D.

The updated designs are also smaller than the older ones because the bigger builds with the
Red Bird design failed to recover when colliding with a mountainside, getting stuck in the process.

Note: The Venture hover-plates are vastly better than the Terraphobes as they commit more thrust overall when used as a thruster, and manage to hover higher. Using the 2x2 hover plates are out of the question, unless you want to use Hawkeye wheels as the 2nd part.

Last edited:

Legionite

Sekret surpise
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
An arguably better Firefly-Class than the previous, the Firefly AI MK5 manages to be faster and far more maneuverable than it's predecessors. (It will be renamed later...)

Firefly AI MK5 - Second Generation
Firefly AI MK5.png

It is far faster than the Red Bird, but lacks the repair shielding and bulkiness of the Red Bird. It is sizable enough to be considered a Red Bird-Class, but it is not truly good enough to beat the Red Bird in terms of longevity.
Therefore, it is a Light Red Bird-Class Airborne AI (or Heavy Firefly-Class Airborne AI).

Edit: This craft works far better with the Allied AI than with the Enemy AI.

Last edited:

Legionite

Sekret surpise
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
Here is the Enemy AI version of the Heavy Firefly-Class (or Light Red Bird-Class):

Firefly Enemy AI MK5.png

It is slightly slower, but is compatible with the Enemy AI better. This can be shot down by Megatons, unlike the Red Bird.:eek:

When wounded with a Megaton round, it gets slower, but it "learns" how to avoid the rounds by mimicking the Red Bird's attack orbit.:p

Last edited:

Legionite

Sekret surpise
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
Just a very simple Airborne AI:
Flying Beetle "Simplest" - Second Generation
Simplest.png
Lacks terrain avoidance and is tiny and extremely easy to take out, but at least it is cheap for the amount of missiles it is armed with and doesn't use the hover bug.
It is a Mini Fighter-Class in this case.

End of Second Generation

Last edited:

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Do you have a game save with some of these Techs flying around as enemies in R&D? I want to show the guys how fun it is to fight these kinds of things :)

Sozin

Dog Emperor
@Jamie Here you go - currently you're in a half charged ship of mine with 4 ai bombers flying around you ... at least until two collide and one is thrown outside the zone where physics happens

Edit: This also shows why playing against AI flyers right now is very much *NOT* fun because the range at which enemies stop moving is ridiculously short
Edit 2: after much moving around and getting shot at - the 4 bombers in my save are finally all orbiting and attacking

Attachments

Last edited:

Legionite

Sekret surpise
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
Do you have a game save with some of these Techs flying around as enemies in R&D? I want to show the guys how fun it is to fight these kinds of things :)
I'll see if I can get some Airborne AI in one save some time this week, as my computer lags significantly when it tries to run with a bunch of them (not to mention that they manage to "jump" between neighbooring targets making setups a problem).

For now, a save with only two of them:
+ Dune Stalker MK2 (Retrofitted Dune Stalker with better hovers thanks to community feedback on hover strengths)
+ Aerial Arsonal MK1 (Most recent installment)

Attachments

Legionite

Sekret surpise
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
(Sorry for necroing my own Tech Thread)
Multi-Level Elevator Proof-of-Concept
screen27.png
Elevator with Direction control and Resource Buttons coming soon...

screen30.png
Make sure the Conveyor to the leftmost side of the tower by a bunch of armor plates is pointing in the direction you want to go.
(Conveyor chevrons pointing up = Up. Conveyor chevrons pointing down = Down. Elevator will not move if ordered down at the lowest level, or up at the highest level.)
Grab the Plumbia resource chunk on top of the filter conveyor nearby and put it on the tractor pad to go up.
Operation of this elevator on turbo mode can be rough, so set the Pacemaker to normal speed when dealing with very fragile loads.

Last edited:

Legionite

Sekret surpise
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
The Terra Tech Walker - Series 1

Walker.

Can kneel when stopping
Turn with A and D
Stops walking when you press space to point the drills at the rotating part
Shift to jump/recover from fall
Do not use Build Beam or rapid unplanned disassembly will happen!
[>Save Here<]

If this is popular enough, then I might create a non-R&D version...

Last edited:

Legionite

Sekret surpise
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
Stringer MK8 - Series 1
A functional Terra Tech Mech for non-R&D players
Much slimmer than the one above, and as such, is more unstable
screen59.png

Tech PNG below for loading in. R&D is not required for this walker.
Stringer MK8.png
To Deploy:
1. Pull off Blue Color Block and the Venture Two Block below it to free the feet
2. Pull off the Green Color Block
3. Pull off the Pink Color Block
4. Pull off the Red Color Block
5. Remove any Venture brackets obstructing the walker.

Notes:
Cannot climb mountains/steep hills. Will get stuck in doing so.
Best used on the Salt Flats
Cannot reverse
"Crushes" most rocks that get under its drill toes.

To Control:
The Hammer piston on the back stops the Tech from moving when fully extended.
Press A to turn Left, D to turn Right. Do not hold W unless you want the walker to run really fast then stumble.
Press S to get the Tech's face off the ground (when it stumbles forward).
If the mech falls on it's back, treat it as a astronaut on the moon. It cannot recover from falling onto it's back.
Press Shift to jump/unstuck from obstructions. Don't use this too long or the Mech will flip onto its back.
Press the B to completely destroy the walker(don't do this).

P.S. Don't expect this one to perform as well the one above, due to the issues with using normal blocks rather than the dedicated multi-Tech blocks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Legionite

Sekret surpise
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
A bunch of old Techs that make up a tiny amount of my aged Tech library:

Bonus Bug Exploit Techs
Grimy Grinder
Really quick and dirty GEO Corp Tech that boosts to 100mph from going into potholes and mud puddles
Grimy Grinder MK2.png

Kraylin Light Tank
Multi-Tech Tanks FTW(For The Win)!
Kraylin Tank 3.png

Hawkeye HoverAssault Gunship
Press X to begin hovering and drive like a land Tech. Requires R&D
HK Assault Gunship.png

Last edited: