Late Game Story - Campaign

Who would want to see something like this?

• Total voters

Ramadvaa

Jan 14, 2022
This is probably gonna be pretty long. Sorry, not sorry. Also, I do think Terratech is a great game, besides a lot of stuff I say.

Here's the main problem with Terratech: after you get all the corps maxed, there's pretty much nothing to do other than a very limited list of protect/fetch/destroy quests, particularly in multiplayer. I think it should have a long-lasting late-game story for the player to work through, possibly earning new blocks throughout. A few suggestions I have for this story are: the DOOM virus(I was so disappointed when everything kept on being normal :( ); Reticule Research research(actually researching new blocks, enemies or random sci-fi stuff); or possibly something like space travel; the final option could be deep-sea exploration. I'm aware that all of these would take a very long time to implement and they would be a very large commitment on your behalf. The DOOM virus could turn into a story of discovering how it works, making a cure, etc. Reticule Research researching would be great because you would feel like you are earning the new blocks and tech, it is also possible if you continue along this route that the player can customize or even create custom blocks(I'm not sure what this would entail). I think space/world travel is probably my favourite possible path you could take though. Not only could it be infinite(with procedurally generated terrain and randomly generated world characteristics), but it could also lead to a whole new kind of transport: space travel. This would pave the way for a lot of new blocks, enemies(space pirates? possibly a storyline here...) and tech. Deep-sea exploration is a much sought-after mode of transportation even without a storyline, as the ocean is something missing in Terratech. I believe having an aquatic biome(or two or three) would add so much depth to the game(pun intended). I also think that this would be the best one of these to implement as it is simpler than space travel but still adds the same effect: a new area to explore and a fun challenge to adapt existing techs to the new environment. A few possible storylines for this path could be that the ocean has been taken over by pirates, a reference to Subnautica in that a huge spaceship has crashed into the planet, or something like an old kingdom that you have to unearth the remains of underwater(Atlantis?)

Please know that all of these suggestions are just an opinion: no pressure to attempt to implement them. I understand that they might not mesh well with the fabric of Terratech as it is and would like feedback.

Geocorp Jumper

May 24, 2016
Space travel would be the hardest, and possibly least likely to come to fruition. The principle issue is that implementing something so simple as just a second planet in the same save file would likely require massive reconstruction of the entire game.

Oceans and the virus campaign would both be feasible, however. In fact, a mod already exists that adds an ocean. Grant it, all the pics I’ve seen of this ocean mod put the ocean right at water level in game, so most of the world is submerged, but even that issue can be worked out.

I will say this, though: don’t knock the post-game. The point of the post-game is that no one is telling you what to do.You have complete freedom to build, destroy, travel and more. Do something fun, goofy or challenging. There’s really no limit.

Ramadvaa

Jan 14, 2022
Space travel would be the hardest, and possibly least likely to come to fruition. The principle issue is that implementing something so simple as just a second planet in the same save file would likely require massive reconstruction of the entire game.

Oceans and the virus campaign would both be feasible, however. In fact, a mod already exists that adds an ocean. Grant it, all the pics I’ve seen of this ocean mod put the ocean right at water level in game, so most of the world is submerged, but even that issue can be worked out.

I will say this, though: don’t knock the post-game. The point of the post-game is that no one is telling you what to do.You have complete freedom to build, destroy, travel and more. Do something fun, goofy or challenging. There’s really no limit.
Agreed, I think I just want a bit more from the game. After getting all maxed licenses, there's not much purpose. Don't get me wrong: I love post-game, I just think having the story keep going for a bit would be good. Also, I'd like to point out that creative mode is a great outlet for that sort of thing. I get that it's not a challenge to achieve anything in creative, but having a story would allow gamers to enjoy the build-up to that kind of gameplay for longer. I think this goes without saying, but the story would be optional, and while some would argue that building something after maxing out the licenses but not completing the story would be slack, it would still be possible.

Epic afdc

Mar 8, 2016
I really like the DOOM virus idea, and I think it could tie into Legion, an unreleased Corp which is obsessed with creating the smartest A.I.

Perhaps it could have accidentally made the DOOM virus and enlists the help of you, a now legendary prospector who has the resources to destroy the DOOM virus

Or perhaps legion made the virus on purpose and they're a sort of villain that you must take down and in the process of defeating them, you can gain loads of Legion parts

Reactions: Aardvark123

Geocorp Jumper

May 24, 2016
I really like the DOOM virus idea, and I think it could tie into Legion, an unreleased Corp which is obsessed with creating the smartest A.I.

Perhaps it could have accidentally made the DOOM virus and enlists the help of you, a now legendary prospector who has the resources to destroy the DOOM virus

Or perhaps legion made the virus on purpose and they're a sort of villain that you must take down and in the process of defeating them, you can gain loads of Legion parts
Legion would be the perfect corp for this. I think for the most cohesive story, it would make sense for a Legion splinter group to be responsible for the virus.

However, I shouldn’t get ahead of myself. I personally would like to see a change in game progression before we get more corps.

As of right now, game progression is linear, which isn’t terribly bad until you get to Hawkeye and Better Future. Hawkeye grade 1 weapons aren’t terribly useful by that point because you likely have your first few grade 4 GSO weapons and many grade 3 weapons. It’s even worse for Better Future, where you’re already sporting Megatons or better (oh yes let me downgrade to wimpy little lasers for the small price of $10,000).

Not to bash on the corp unlocking quests. They’re all really in character (well, except maybe for RR’s). But I feel like it’d be better if the game progression branched out more before climbing up. Even better would be player-guided progression, such as choosing whether to unlock a new corp or upgrade the license of an existing one.

Once the game progression changed to model this, every corp (not just Legion) could have its own endgame quest/quest line, and each could be equally and uniquely challenging.

eddie

Philosopher in green, Hermit in space
Jun 21, 2018
now join the Holy Crusade
Still waiting for space junkies and legion updates though, my idea is you save the system from being consumed by legion's rogue A.I by nuke the place into a smoking crater(details in my old threads), accidentally discover alien structures afterwards and then go tomb raiding with the space junkies' black market branch.