Land speed record in 0.7.5 and beyond

Licflagg2

Jul 8, 2016
So, who has a very fast vehicle?
Land Speed Record of TerraTech.jpg
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=960685195
This one is mine, and can go up to 251 miles per hour in less then a second, but lasts for a little over 3 seconds, due to the tanks running dry, FAST.

Each section has 8 hawkeye boosters and 1 hawkeye tank, and there are 11 sections in total. there are 4 EXP medium trailer wheels on it, a single Venture booster, and a single Hawkeye Cab. It doesn't turn very well, due to the weight, and can't stop much.

Reactions: Zed

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
Using a similar building method in creative mode salt flats I was able to achieve 261 for a brief period.

Attachments

Licflagg2

Jul 8, 2016
Question : do you consider hover techs as land speed?
cause I managed reach 262 mph with only 10 Hawkeye Rocket Jets
Yep. though mine, with about 88 jets, kept going at 261MpH for 3 seconds.

I'm also impressed that other people can get a bit faster.
Vertical does count, but it's not a "Land Speed Record," more of a liftoff speed record ;)

Reactions: Zargn
P

Pink Kitty

Same issue with IRL land speed records.
The winners are aircraft, with wheels.

How about a category for vehicles without props/jets?

hyev42

Sep 9, 2016
as for vehicles go the fastest I've gotten is 95 is with a very basic tech that contains no more than a venture cab a gyro and 2 Venture springer wheels and yes i used spoilers it just slows it down.
speed 95.png
here is another that can go 261 on the ground using only props (no real use other than to be used in large salt flats.
in which i don't think they are all that common.
speed test.png

Reactions: Zed

hyev42

Sep 9, 2016
here is also semi plane that can also achieve speeds over 260 all tho you may need to find the best way without damaging the wheals on landing.

also for your information the plane drops like a rock if speeds drop below 100mph. so in other words it won't glide.
super sonic plane.png
nice wheels. (i don't think snapshots work well with large techs.)

P

Pink Kitty

Venture wheels have poor grip. Add a spoiler or two, and they'll go faster.

{insert_name_here}

[REDACTED]
Mar 15, 2017
nowhere
Well, I'm almost certain the speed limit in air is 270 mph (this is consistent speed, not speed achieved for a fraction of a second). I'm guessing the speed limit on land is pretty similar. I managed to get 270 mph in air using this tech below. I think this speed is the limit because no matter how many more propellors I add, the tech won't go faster (even with 5 times more propellors, which I tried once).

270 MPH.png

(Also, a bit of trivia: terminal velocity on Earth is about 300 mph with a completely streamlined body. Compare this to TerraTech's terminal velocity of around 85 mph. 0_0)

P

Pink Kitty

If the speed loss from the spoiler is outweighed by the power gain form the increased grip, then it goes faster.

So ideally, you want the minimum possible number of spoilers.
But for Venture vehicles, you definitely want them.

Other corps wheels, maybe not.

hyev42

Sep 9, 2016
Ah yeah about that i don't have the R&D so i couldn't test all the wheels but on that note that's good to know now.

How ever i was testing with Venture springer wheels not EXP Large F1 wheels.