Keep resources & parts around longer (Option?)

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Thundercraft, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Reliable Scrapper

I do understand that, depending on one's hardware, TerraTech can be rather demanding. I understand that it is impractical to keep all the loose resources and parts laying around indefinitely. That would slow down FPS and use up more and more memory until, eventually, the game would likely crash. In particular, I understand the practicality of removing loose resources and parts that are beyond the edge of the player's map or beyond their line-of-sight.

Personally, though, I disagree with the usefulness of having loose resources and parts disappear after a few hours of time. As long as they disappear after leaving the edge of the map or line-of-sight, isn't that enough? Players and techs are constantly moving around, so unwanted loose material should disappear sooner or later.

The reason I bring this up now is because I recently lost a huge pile of raw Celestite Shards that I had been mining (via Auto Miners) near my manufacturing base. This Celestite mine was close enough to my manufacturing base that I could actually still see the growing pile of light blue shards in the distance. I had been using a fast tech with lots of Thimble Collectors to occasionally ferry them to my manufacturing base, both to build parts and turn them into Resource Blocks.

All was well for a long time. By this time I had gathered over half of them and the mine, itself, became exhausted. Without further need for the Auto Miners, I sent them back to inventory.

However, I got distracted with building a bunch of parts that I was missing in order to use a big blueprint from my previous game. Hours went by. I finally finished and decided to go back to get the rest of the Celestite Shards to clean it up and make sure that I did not forget them.

Except... they were suddenly GONE!
    I estimate that I lost the equivalent of between 1 and 2 GeoCorp Resource Blocks, or roughly 120 to 240 units. (BTW: Each GeoCorp Resource Block costs roughly 30,000 BB from a Trading Station!)

It's not just resources that suddenly disappear after time. I've routinely seen this happen to loose parts near my manufacturing base. And by "near" I mean within range of my tech's guns.

#1 Thundercraft, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Sokolov likes this.
  2. Soviet_Samuelson

Soviet_Samuelson Getting a permit to life in a jolly box

3. Thundercraft

A minor update:

From my testing, it seems like the reason why my Celestite Shards - or other raw ores - would disappear is because I had disassembled the GSO Auto Miners nearby. In other words: It seems that the existence of a player-owned tech nearby prevents resources from disappearing.

So, from now on, whenever I disassemble my Auto Miners after they exhaust the mineral vein, I immediately place a single GSO Fixed Anchor block down as a player-owned "tech" to prevent the as-yet gathered loose ores from disappearing. I'd much rather enemy techs destroy a single Fixed Anchor block while I was away than lose an auto-mining base consisting of 3 or 4 Auto Miners and a GSO Cab (and, perhaps, some repair and shield bubbles).

However, I'm not sure whether or not loose blocks would still disappear even if near a player-owned base as I haven't tested that idea.

??? I don't understand. The "F" key is not associated with the options menu, let alone an option to do what I suggest.

4. TheUberCannon

TheUberCannon Well-Known Member

firstly why leave a pile of loose resources on the ground? you might have done enough of mike's missions to get a fabricator allowing you to make blocks from one grade higher which in turn should include gso's resource blocks that are grade 3,
    and you should have also done the turret defense mission (it's easy, just keep your distance) which unlocks sending away a tech's blocks into your inventory so putting away your fabby and resource blocks shouldn't be a problem, hence preserving that pile of 120-240 celestite in block form, you can gather the remaining 23 or less leftovers as usual
    but if you don't want to do all that, just use a silo

secondly...
    that's the "press F to pay respects" meme, guess you don't hear of memes that much

5. Thundercraft

Yes, I had already done those missions and unlocked those abilities.

As I explained in the OP, the situation which led to the loss of that Celestite was that I had been using a ZG Auto-miner 4x to mine it. But the source became exhausted, so I sent the (to me) valuable parts of the ZG Auto-miner 4x back to inventory as I had not bothered to build defense turrets to protect it, nor I could yet afford to build many high quality defense turrets. However, there was still a large pile of mined Celestite that I needed to haul to my nearby base and I could only haul so much of it in one trip.

I had no idea, at that time, that loose resources could disappear on me (or, at least, without one of my "bases" next to the pile), otherwise I would not have waited so long or I would have placed down a GSO Fixed Anchor as a "base".

I hadn't really considered building something like the Auto Miner Deluxe to automatically convert the Celestite in block form and automatically send it to inventory. That would've worked fine. However, the Auto Miner Deluxe requires several (to me) valuable parts, such as a GSO SCU Storage Device and a GSO Fabricator. I would have felt it necessary to build several powerful turrets in order to protect such an investment. But, again, I could not afford that at the time.

The whole reason I built that Auto-miner 4x on the Celestite vein was to get enough Celestite to create enough parts to build numerous large defense turrets. Since I did not have enough Celestite to build them, I could not (adequately) protect my Auto-miners, nor excuse building something like the Auto Miner Deluxe.

It was a Catch-22 situation. This was especially true in my situation since I was at a point in the game (player level) and area (Salt Flats) where it was not usual for the game to throw really huge and scarily dangerous enemies at me. Indeed, I've since lost a Celestite ZG Auto-miner 4x complex (very close to the old vein) to randomly-spawned enemies, one of which was a behemoth with GSO Megaton Cannons, GeoCorp Behemoth Wheels, and more than adequate repair and shield bubbles to protect itself. It took me about 15 minutes and more than one attempt to finally destroy that behemoth.

#5 Thundercraft, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:01 AM
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 4:06 AM
    TheUberCannon likes this.