Joystick support? Not xbox or steam controller

Buka401

Hello! I've been trying to get my Logitech Attack 3 joystick to work with terra tech for a while now. I've mapped the certain axises and buttons to the game's definitions. When doing so the game recognizes the changes in the launcher input tab.

The launcher is currently on axis one
Which is up and down on my joystick
I can double click again to change axis
to say left and right
and the launcher recognizes the change and relabels the axis.

Though when the game is booted up anything labeled with the axis 1 in the control scheme isn't affected by the joystick moving. Heck, nothing on the joystick will do anything in the game. Is it too early to bind controllers other than an Xbox or steam controller? Or am I doing something wrong? I know my controller is working as it has worked in other games. I'm running terratech version 1.3.3 on windows 10. If you need any other information let me know! I'm going to try JoyToKey but having analog input from my Attack 3 would be awesome. :)

Thanks!

Commander 86

I'm not all that familiar with the Attack 3, but I suspect that it isn't compatible since TerraTech requires a dual stick gamepad, and the Attack 3 is a single joystick. I recommend the (much!) cheaper Logitech Dual Action gamepad, or an Xbox or Steam controller if you already have one. Those should work with TerraTech right out of the box.

The input menu on the main launcher didn't function the last time I checked, tough luck.

You can try to jury rig a control scheme together with JoyToKey, but with only one stick, you won't be able to control the camera and your vehicle at the same time. You won't have analog controls either, which kinda defeats the purpose of using an analog stick.

You really are better off using keyboard and mouse until you can get your hands on a dual stick gamepad. Wish I could give you more alternatives, but it looks like this is your best option.

Buka401

Hello! Thanks for the info and the quick response!

I guess what I really wanted to try was using my mouse for my camera and using my stick to control my vehicle. But since the input menu isn't quite working I guess that's not yet possible huh? Is it even possible to have two controllers (mouse and say a gamepad) working on the same game session?

Is there a thread for that input menu on the launcher? I looked but I don't know the name of the actual menu so I came up empty-handed. Though it could have just been me. But if you know, I would love to keep in the know to see when controllers of other brands can be bound to the gameplay controls.

I might try my Xbox controller but I'm probably going to stick to my keyboard for the time being. :)

Anyway thanks!

Commander 86

You can definitely use your keyboard and mouse in tandem with gamepads. It isn't unusual for me to drive around using my gamepad, and then set it down and use the mouse for building and crafting. Occasionally, I even hold the gamepad in my left hand while using my right to control the mouse, just as you described! This is something I tend to do while making quick field repairs, or while deploying techs, the sort of situations where I intermittently move and place objects.

Gamepads are king when driving, but there are so many things that the mouse handles better that I always keep one within reach.

As for the input menu, there is the odd mention of it on Steam and Reddit, but the thing has never worked, it seems. There isn't really a strong demand to get it working either. Just ignore it for now. Any standard dual stick gamepad with a USB connector should be compatible with TerraTech, and the default controls are decently configured for the most part.

Give your gamepad a try, it certainly won't hurt to have it handy.

Buka401

Hello!
Hey, there is someone that will use two controllers at the same time! :D I'm not the only one! CX well thanks for the info. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for that input menu though. In the meantime, I'll give the Xbox controller a shot. Thanks for the info! :D

Hi...as per my experience on Mac/Linux it is limited to what what a XBox360 controller can do. Also i observed that a joystick with three axis can only used the first two. If the gamepad/joystick have more buttons or axis than a XBox360 controller, they are not recognized by ARMA.

pcb manufacturing

Last edited:
Any ideas on troubleshooting the game not seeing any gamepads at all? I have tried joysticks and an Xbox one controller.