Is there any way to reduce stress on computer from TT?

Discussion in 'Community Help, Questions and Guides' started by NotExactlyHero, Oct 6, 2018.

?

Does your computer heat up when playing TT.

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Ahh no I didn't add a question mark!!

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NotExactlyHero

NotExactlyHero <custom_title_subtitle_[username]_display>

Cause my computer pretty much becomes an oven whenever I play TT. To be fair, it's about 8 years old, but it's caused my computer to overheat since I first got the game. It also causes a fair bit of lag, even when I'm just sitting around in R&D.

(I really need to figure out a way to stop or at least a way to reduce this. Since my computer is old, it even starts overheating when playing Minecraft. And that game requires practically nothing.)

(And by overheating I mean the internal fans come on, and the computer becomes very hot.)

2. harpo99999

harpo99999 ah kick till it starts

try cleaning the heatsinks behind the fans (assuming a desktop) if it is a laptop, then take it to a computer repairer, and ask them to clean the fans/heatsinks

3. Karel Slabý

Karel Slabý Member
    TT Translator

You need to post your specs to get any relevant info.
    But in any case I am running a 8700K+GTX 1080Ti and still get lags/freezes when there is a lot going on (4K on Beautiful setting).
    BTW Minecraft can be a beast too if you are running mods ;).

4. Karel Slabý

Karel Slabý Member
    TT Translator

And as harpo mentioned cleaning the fans/heatsinks is necessary, I'd say at least once per year or two depending on your environment/case. Also changing out thermal paste as it gets burned out. It is easier than it sounds, just need to buy a paste (every IT shop should have it, anything will do).

5. NotExactlyHero

NotExactlyHero <custom_title_subtitle_[username]_display>

6. harpo99999

harpo99999 ah kick till it starts

the apple laptops are designed for web and wordprocessing as the main use, and do not have enough cooling for gaming and other high processor demand applications

7. Karel Slabý

Karel Slabý Member
    TT Translator

Ah ok can't do much there apart from upgrading. The game looks better with higher details and resolution! ;D

8. -=ROOSTER=-

-=ROOSTER=- Disappointment Incarnate

On that spec sheet, the operating temp was listed 95c (upper limit) so its probably not in any danger, but still the noise and heat are an annoyance. There are a couple of things that can help. 1 Stop all unnecessary programs (less load = less heat) 2 unplug any devices, or accessories that you aren't using (anything drawing power is more load on your power supply) 3 Give it some space. Make sure the little rubber pads on the bottom are still there. They are there to keep it from contacting the surface it's sitting on and rendering your fans useless. This is very important, despite the name "laptop" don't ever use it on your lap, or sitting on a bed, or a piece of cloth if you can help it. Nothing will clog up your fans faster than lint. And for a quick easy fix, grab four rubber pencil erasers, put one under each corner then put any old household fan somewhere near you and get a little circulation going. Sorry if you already know all of this, but you would be surprise just how many people don't. I hope this helps, and sorry for chiming in on this post so late. This is the first time I noticed it. -Rooster