Is the autoaiming system always this bad?

It can't even lean its shots while my tech is on the move to hit the target at medium-close range. I can't effectively flank an enemy tech if I had to stop to even land a hit. Especially against gun spam Geocorp moving "forts" with guns shooting at every angle. I had to suicide rush a few tech with drills in order to destroy it.

Lost Ninja

Basically yes.

Three options:
  • Snipe (stay outside of the auto-aim range) and shoot with weapons that fire that far (most of those with no (or little) drop will do so).
  • Allow them to get behind you were they tend to sit still then use guns on the back of your tech to kill them.
  • Missiles (apart from Venture Cluster Missile) will home in on the target and generally will kill even the largest of techs in quite a short time. They also generally have a range well outside the auto-aim radius.

layer1

With slower firing weps you can time it and twitch your tech a little to lead the enemy tech. Not exactly an ideal situation though; guns that can aim should really lead techs.

Worse (imo) is blowing up a tech and your guns track the blinking cab as it takes forever to pop, while the rest of the enemies pound you with impunity.

Deutsche Würfel

I look good in this dress.
if you want an easy fight, Build your tech vback to front, and the enemies will drive and sit directly in front of your guns.