Increase Tech Size Limits

Yay or nay?

• Yay

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • Nay

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Traveel

I'm aware that a tech can only be 64x64x64 blocks, but the only reason I could find is performance. Now, in my opinion, if a person is willing to construct a massive tech, they know their computer might struggle, but why would you prevent players from doing this? Right now I'm working on a fleet of battleships and right now I'm working on the flagship, but due to size restrictions, the flagship won't be nearly as large as I'd like. Regardless, I think that size limits are pointless, for if a player wants a tech to be big, they'll know it'll strain their computer, but that's a tradeoff they're willing to make.

Traveel

This would be where you figure out you can apply carpentry joins to your multi-Techs...

Basic key & socket stuff really. ...
The issue is that I don't want this it to be a multi-tech. Moreover, you're leaving it to the AI to control the other part. You can't have the other part contribute any movement components that'd be on it as well when you're moving. Plus, there are enormous disadvantages to multi-techs.

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
It's a volumetric problem, so while you perceive your tech as increasing in length, you're demanding much more than that from your computer's processor. Terratech calculates the physics of every block individually, so a 64x64x64 tech made of GSO 1-blocks is calculating the complete physics of over 260,000 blocks, which is already incredibly intense on a CPU. Increasing it to, say 70x70x70 increases that number to 343,000... for only 6 units longer in length.

Part of my job in the real world is doing computational analysis on physics problems (I'm a scientist), and and in most programs which calculate physics, the time it takes to solve (which would be refresh rate for TerraTech) is a square factor to the number of calculations the program is trying to perform (and TerraTech is not doing one calculation per block. I'd bet it's closer to 10 per block.)

All this means that moving the max tech size from 64 to 70 (which isn't much) means the possibility of cutting your refresh rate to non-functional levels. Like 1 frame every few seconds.

Traveel

It's a volumetric problem, so while you perceive your tech as increasing in length, you're demanding much more than that from your computer's processor. Terratech calculates the physics of every block individually, so a 64x64x64 tech made of GSO 1-blocks is calculating the complete physics of over 260,000 blocks, which is already incredibly intense on a CPU. Increasing it to, say 70x70x70 increases that number to 343,000... for only 6 units longer in length.

Part of my job in the real world is doing computational analysis on physics problems (I'm a scientist), and and in most programs which calculate physics, the time it takes to solve (which would be refresh rate for TerraTech) is a square factor to the number of calculations the program is trying to perform (and TerraTech is not doing one calculation per block. I'd bet it's closer to 10 per block.)

All this means that moving the max tech size from 64 to 70 (which isn't much) means the possibility of cutting your refresh rate to non-functional levels. Like 1 frame every few seconds.
A few things:
A. that's assuming all blocks in that all 70x70x70 is used.
B. So what? If a player wants to do it, then let them go for it. Just put a warning.
C. There's nothing stopping them from making a multi-tech and straining their computer anyway.

D. Why can't they, instead of doing calculations per block, just group together blocks and instead count it as 1 block? Or block count doesn't matter, but volume occupied.

Exund

Fancy Modder
Somewhere in space, near my Techs (Switzerland)
Why can't they, instead of doing calculations per block, just group together blocks and instead count it as 1 block? Or block count doesn't matter, but volume occupied.
Not possible as each block can be different in terms of what code it actually has attached to it

Also I tried to increase the limit multiple times (doing some perhaps dirty changes) but it failed horribly multiple times so the game seems very linked to that 64 blocks limit

Amtheminer

Not possible as each block can be different in terms of what code it actually has attached to it

Also I tried to increase the limit multiple times (doing some perhaps dirty changes) but it failed horribly multiple times so the game seems very linked to that 64 blocks limit
So its hard-coded?

Traveel

Maybe @Adriano or the devs could shine more light on this?

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
@Saelem Black and @Exund have pretty much covered it.

We had to have a limit at some point and while we are allowed a lot of freedom in how 'stable' our game can be on a platform like Steam, we still need to make sure the game is as stable as possible. Therefore adding a warning that going over the build limit will incur performance issues just isn't an option.

Also, it's not just as simple as removing it or increasing it. As @Exund mentioned, a lot of different systems rely on that build limit so the work that would go into it all those systems wouldn't be worth the effort for an increase in 5-6 block limit length, to be honest.

We're pretty happy with how big the build limit is right now. You can still build some impressive Techs in 64x64x64.

Traveel

@Saelem Black and @Exund have pretty much covered it.

We had to have a limit at some point and while we are allowed a lot of freedom in how 'stable' our game can be on a platform like Steam, we still need to make sure the game is as stable as possible. Therefore adding a warning that going over the build limit will incur performance issues just isn't an option.

Also, it's not just as simple as removing it or increasing it. As @Exund mentioned, a lot of different systems rely on that build limit so the work that would go into it all those systems wouldn't be worth the effort for an increase in 5-6 block limit length, to be honest.

We're pretty happy with how big the build limit is right now. You can still build some impressive Techs in 64x64x64.
I still don't understand, however, that if stability is an issue, why allow multi-techs that still have the same performance-breaking issues as colossal techs?

I do understand the technical difficulty associated with it, so I'll relinquish the request, but I'm still unclear about the 'stability' issues. However, should it someday be feasible, the altogether removal of the build limit would be nice.