[INCOMING ENCRYPTED MESSAGE]

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Sgt Smash, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Sgt Smash

Sgt Smash Member
    Hawkeye King

Excellent work prospector. I like the way you're thinking! We're one step closer to cracking this thing.

2. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

THANK YOU SAR-GENT, SIR! YES SIR!.... And.... This is on the right track?! :confused:

OK, so here's a link to a google spreadsheet version of the sheet, pictured. (But that might not be the part that's getting closer...)

#22 ZeroGravitas, Nov 7, 2018 at 11:56 AM
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 12:09 PM
  3. xXThunderFlameXx

xXThunderFlameXx Aircraft Enthusiast

Alright, we cracked the code, seems like the key we were actually looking for was asfh_'[]kjZf which resulted from splitting the numbers that we got in the second gif like this: 61 73 66 68 5F 27 5B 5D 6B 6A 5A 66, now we use that key, and would you look at that:
    [​IMG]
    The final credentials are Username: project-planet
    Password: build-better
    The site is nothing but a countdown until 9.11.2018 17:00, we have yet to see what it will be.

4. GamerParrish

GamerParrish Well-Known Member

Maybe its a cooldown for an update? I mean, this seems out of place for such an advanced puzzle for just fun. I feel like the dialogue, the idea, and the cooldown might mean something big is coming.

It could be a building update due to "Build_Better"

And the username being Project Planet seems a bit odd. Why have it named project? Why not just planet?

This doesn't seem like your average brain twister, this seems like a hint to a larger update. Also, the devs haven't pumped out a ton of updates recently, and they say they're working on "Bigger Fish" so maybe this means something in the 1.0+ update ideas might be coming out soon?

The idea of an AI making contact with an encrypted message, not being decoded normally by our techs might mean something more important.

I normally look too deep into details but this seems more like an update. That cooldown, the update's release date. The idea, hidden still.

Until then I'm gonna keep theorizing. because I'm crazy.

5. Seth_Seth

Seth_Seth Temp. Leader of SFS, Gamer

People are leaning towards Better Future

6. -=ROOSTER=-

-=ROOSTER=- Bock, bock, B"gAAK!!!

Nice work guys! I was going to figure this thing out for you, but then I remembered that I'm an idiot. :)

Dat Derp, Matt, Galrex and 5 others like this.
  7. ANIMAL MOTHER

ANIMAL MOTHER Well-Known Member

I think its just going to be a 9/11 memorial thing nothing to do with an update are you kidding haha.

Dat Derp likes this.
  8. ZeroGravitas

Absolutely. And well done to @streak1 for spotting the password on the diagonal there and @Exund for reconfiguring the sheet appropriately.:)

Here's a little walk-through of the decoding process: we'd rightly been taking the characters as hexadecimal numbers, in pairs (left then right right) converting them to their decimal value and using those regular numbers to look up their ASCII characters (same as the low end of Unicode, I think).
    [​IMG]

However, we only read their sequence like a book, in successive rows (left to right, top to bottom)... Although I'd also tried reading backwards and upside (and backwards upside down and shuffling the order of the hex number columns)...

The correct order was hex characters in pairs (left then right), but then downwards in columns of pairs, first, before moving onto the next column of pairs:

[​IMG]

In addition to this, the total decimal value of each pair was incremented by their (red) number in the sequence, to shift each one up through the ASCII alphabet by +1, +2, +3, etc, characters. So:
    Code:
    Hex (original):  61  73  66  68  5F  27  5B  5D  6B  6A  5A  66
    Decimal:         97 115 102 104  95  39  91  93 107 106  90 102
    Increment:       +1  +2  +3  +4  +5  +6  +7  +8  +9 +10 +11 +12
    ASCII code:      98 117 105 108 100  45  98 101 116 116 101 114
    Final characters: b   u   i   l   d   -   b   e   t   t   e   r

Fun side note: you can actually type on your keyboard using the ASCII codes directly! Just hold down left [Alt] key, type out the code on your num pad keys (if you have them), then release [Alt]. There's some bonus extended symbols you can easily access this way too, like: [Alt]+[1]=

So it was quite a simple process that could, in theory, have been cracked just using mental arithmetic and a standard computer keyboard... But there were a lot of different simple processes that might equally have been used. Hence the big spreadsheet, to look at a lot of options in parallel (but not enough different options).

Maybe we missed a hint somewhere for using a sequential shift increment...(?) Maybe that step was added in to make sure we couldn't just throw the numbers into an online solver site, as was done by @xXThunderFlameXx for the first message, using the cryptogram solver.

It certainly looks like the first clue was made using the "Keyed Caesar" tool, here (or one like it), just entering "planet" as the key and then the message. I took a look through the other simple cipher tools listed on this page (thanks again to @Tech_Fusion for linking to that site in discord), which made me think about columnar transposition and grid rotation. But I don't think there's a letters to numbers cipher that increments the offset as it progresses. Just the fixed "Caesarian shift"/"Rot n" cipher. Maybe more complicated shift patterns are more common in proper cryptography...? (It's awkward in conjuction with ascii as you'd need to decide when to loop back around, with a longer message.)

...Anyway! Now we wait for the end of the count down, on Friday evening to see what's coming... :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[Edit note: Gif posted before seeing (and approving) comment above - unrelated.]

#28 ZeroGravitas, Nov 8, 2018 at 7:19 AM
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 9:06 AM
  9. AstraTheDragon

AstraTheDragon A dapper dragon

HOW ON EARTH HAVE I NEVER KNOWN THIS? Thank you so much! Now I no longer resent having a UK-style English Keyboard and not a US-style one (for typing characters with diacritics.)

10. Dat Derp

Dat Derp Chief SFS scientist

Can relate lol. Very helpful thanks zero gravitas!

Aardvark123 and Seth_Seth like this.
  11. xXThunderFlameXx

You do have to use the numbers on the numpad, but both ALTs work.

Aardvark123 likes this.
  12. ZeroGravitas

Interesting.:) My right Alt is an [Alt Gr] and will just type the numbers you press - Logitech wireless UK keyboard, though. Is yours US/international/EU?

#32 ZeroGravitas, Nov 9, 2018 at 6:17 AM
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 6:30 AM
  13. harpo99999

harpo99999 ah kick till it starts

and following the results, all I see is EXPIRED, so a DUD weapon, project, idea
    given that is has proven to be a dud then it MUST have been created by a marketer, not a productive person

JimmyBlether likes this.
  14. ZeroGravitas

How many hours ahead of GMT are you? (Or what is your computer time/date set to?) The clock on the super-secret website didn't seem to account for time zones...

JimmyBlether and Galrex like this.
  15. Nightblade Greyswandir

Nightblade Greyswandir Nothing is good enough!

So we will have fun during weekend with some new TT ... something!
    YEEEEEE!

JimmyBlether, Galrex and ZeroGravitas like this.
  16. JimmyBlether

JimmyBlether SFS SUPREME COMMANDER

7.5 hours (GMT) left!

ZeroGravitas and Galrex like this.
  17. xXThunderFlameXx

I'm using the US one.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  18. nikitaign

nikitaign Well-Known Member
    TT Translator

I went and pressed CTRL+SHIFT+I to open the devs options, pressed some buttons and saw this: (on the screenshot)
    Is there nothing to wait for??

Attached Files:

19. JimmyBlether

JimmyBlether SFS SUPREME COMMANDER

Guys.

Am I correct in saying there is a stream around that time?

FEATURE SHOWING HYPE INCREASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Dat Derp and Galrex like this.
  20. Dat Derp

Dat Derp Chief SFS scientist

Literally shaking im chair this is going to be hype! Also on a side note when and where are the streams held?

JimmyBlether and Galrex like this.