[INCOMING ENCRYPTED MESSAGE]

I looking at simple numerical shifts of the ASCII values (after converting from hex), but nothing jumped out at me. (It would have to be an arbitrary shift *and* and a two word anagram to get something coherent out of this.):

I also had a quick try at columnar transportation, with the 4 columns shifted around before conversion. Also rotated 90 degrees. Saw nothing meaningful. Going slightly mad now... :confused:

I thought it would be cool if it popped out the end part of a URL for an unlisted YouTube video (continuing the multi-media treasure hunt to another platform), but that would need an 11 character string and this code generates 12 characters (unless one is the "=" or something).
Excellent work prospector. I like the way you're thinking! We're one step closer to cracking this thing.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Excellent work prospector. I like the way you're thinking! We're one step closer to cracking this thing.
THANK YOU SAR-GENT, SIR! YES SIR!.... And.... This is on the right track?! :confused:

OK, so here's a link to a google spreadsheet version of the sheet, pictured. (But that might not be the part that's getting closer...)

Last edited:

xXThunderFlameXx

Aircraft Enthusiast
Alright, we cracked the code, seems like the key we were actually looking for was asfh_'[]kjZf which resulted from splitting the numbers that we got in the second gif like this: 61 73 66 68 5F 27 5B 5D 6B 6A 5A 66, now we use that key, and would you look at that:

The final credentials are Username: project-planet
Password: build-better
The site is nothing but a countdown until 9.11.2018 17:00, we have yet to see what it will be.

GamerParrish

Alright, we cracked the code, seems like the key we were actually looking for was asfh_'[]kjZf which resulted from splitting the numbers that we got in the second gif like this: 61 73 66 68 5F 27 5B 5D 6B 6A 5A 66, now we use that key, and would you look at that:

The final credentials are Username: project-planet
Password: build-better
The site is nothing but a countdown until 9.11.2018 17:00, we have yet to see what it will be.
Maybe its a cooldown for an update? I mean, this seems out of place for such an advanced puzzle for just fun. I feel like the dialogue, the idea, and the cooldown might mean something big is coming.

It could be a building update due to "Build_Better"

And the username being Project Planet seems a bit odd. Why have it named project? Why not just planet?

This doesn't seem like your average brain twister, this seems like a hint to a larger update. Also, the devs haven't pumped out a ton of updates recently, and they say they're working on "Bigger Fish" so maybe this means something in the 1.0+ update ideas might be coming out soon?

The idea of an AI making contact with an encrypted message, not being decoded normally by our techs might mean something more important.

I normally look too deep into details but this seems more like an update. That cooldown, the update's release date. The idea, hidden still.

Until then I'm gonna keep theorizing. because I'm crazy.

Seth_Seth

Confused Leader of the Golden Armada
Website
sites.google.com
Maybe its a cooldown for an update? I mean, this seems out of place for such an advanced puzzle for just fun. I feel like the dialogue, the idea, and the cooldown might mean something big is coming.

It could be a building update due to "Build_Better"

And the username being Project Planet seems a bit odd. Why have it named project? Why not just planet?

This doesn't seem like your average brain twister, this seems like a hint to a larger update. Also, the devs haven't pumped out a ton of updates recently, and they say they're working on "Bigger Fish" so maybe this means something in the 1.0+ update ideas might be coming out soon?

The idea of an AI making contact with an encrypted message, not being decoded normally by our techs might mean something more important.

I normally look too deep into details but this seems more like an update. That cooldown, the update's release date. The idea, hidden still.

Until then I'm gonna keep theorizing. because I'm crazy.
People are leaning towards Better Future

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Alright, we cracked the code, seems like the key we were actually looking for was asfh_'[]kjZf which resulted from splitting the numbers that we got in the second gif like this:
Absolutely. And well done to @streak1 for spotting the password on the diagonal there and @Exund for reconfiguring the sheet appropriately.:)

Here's a little walk-through of the decoding process: we'd rightly been taking the characters as hexadecimal numbers, in pairs (left then right right) converting them to their decimal value and using those regular numbers to look up their ASCII characters (same as the low end of Unicode, I think).

However, we only read their sequence like a book, in successive rows (left to right, top to bottom)... Although I'd also tried reading backwards and upside (and backwards upside down and shuffling the order of the hex number columns)...

The correct order was hex characters in pairs (left then right), but then downwards in columns of pairs, first, before moving onto the next column of pairs:

In addition to this, the total decimal value of each pair was incremented by their (red) number in the sequence, to shift each one up through the ASCII alphabet by +1, +2, +3, etc, characters. So:
Code:
Hex (original):  61  73  66  68  5F  27  5B  5D  6B  6A  5A  66
Decimal:         97 115 102 104  95  39  91  93 107 106  90 102
Increment:       +1  +2  +3  +4  +5  +6  +7  +8  +9 +10 +11 +12
ASCII code:      98 117 105 108 100  45  98 101 116 116 101 114
Final characters: b   u   i   l   d   -   b   e   t   t   e   r

Fun side note: you can actually type on your keyboard using the ASCII codes directly! Just hold down left [Alt] key, type out the code on your num pad keys (if you have them), then release [Alt]. There's some bonus extended symbols you can easily access this way too, like: [Alt]+[1]=

So it was quite a simple process that could, in theory, have been cracked just using mental arithmetic and a standard computer keyboard... But there were a lot of different simple processes that might equally have been used. Hence the big spreadsheet, to look at a lot of options in parallel (but not enough different options).

Maybe we missed a hint somewhere for using a sequential shift increment...(?) Maybe that step was added in to make sure we couldn't just throw the numbers into an online solver site, as was done by @xXThunderFlameXx for the first message, using the cryptogram solver.

It certainly looks like the first clue was made using the "Keyed Caesar" tool, here (or one like it), just entering "planet" as the key and then the message. I took a look through the other simple cipher tools listed on this page (thanks again to @Tech_Fusion for linking to that site in discord), which made me think about columnar transposition and grid rotation. But I don't think there's a letters to numbers cipher that increments the offset as it progresses. Just the fixed "Caesarian shift"/"Rot n" cipher. Maybe more complicated shift patterns are more common in proper cryptography...? (It's awkward in conjuction with ascii as you'd need to decide when to loop back around, with a longer message.)

...Anyway! Now we wait for the end of the count down, on Friday evening to see what's coming... :cool:

[Edit note: Gif posted before seeing (and approving) comment above - unrelated.]

Last edited:

AstraTheDragon

A dapper dragon
Website
1drv.ms
Fun side note: you can actually type on your keyboard using the ASCII codes directly! Just hold down left [Alt] key, type out the code on your num pad keys (if you have them), then release [Alt]. There's some bonus extended symbols you can easily access this way too, like: [Alt]+[1]=
]
HOW ON EARTH HAVE I NEVER KNOWN THIS? Thank you so much! Now I no longer resent having a UK-style English Keyboard and not a US-style one (for typing characters with diacritics.)

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
and following the results, all I see is EXPIRED, so a DUD weapon, project, idea
given that is has proven to be a dud then it MUST have been created by a marketer, not a productive person