[INCOMING ENCRYPTED MESSAGE]

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Sgt Smash, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Sgt Smash

Sgt Smash Member
    Hawkeye King

2. Dat Derp

Dat Derp Chief SFS scientist

What? Any clues? Ahh smart its in a picture so I cant copy and paste it into google very smart.

3. reaperx1

reaperx1 Crazed Builder

[Transmission Starts]
    Can we get a passphrase or a key word to help with the decryption of this transmission?
    Have a good one [8D)
    [Transmission Ends]

4. Dat Derp

Ok for anyone else trying here's a list of what methods of decoding I've already tried:
    base64
    binary
    SHA1 hash
    SHA259 hash
    SHA512 hash
    reverse string
    Unicode
    well that's all I've tried so far good luck everyone.

5. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

The message has been cracked in the Discord. In fact, it can only be continued in the Discord.

The message contained a command which could be used in the Discord, it then led to an imgur link with photos containing snippets of a QR code. After piecing the code together and scanning it, it leads to this website: http://project-planet.tech/

That is all we can do for today, apparently there will be more clues released tomorrow so I would highly recommend joining the Discord and participating in the search using this link: https://discord.gg/7dfs2S

6. Dat Derp

Thanks for the heads up other wise I would be on a wild goose chase (bird pun intended).

Seth_Seth likes this.
  7. JimmyBlether

JimmyBlether SFS SUPREME COMMANDER

It asked me to sign in.

What is going on???

Dat Derp and Galrex like this.
  8. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

What was the chat command, for easy reference? (Awkward to dig through the discord history.) And did it just pop up links to the images?

Aardvark123 and Galrex like this.
  9. Seth_Seth

Seth_Seth Temp. Leader of SFS, Gamer

!project-planet
    you can only do it once per hour

Galrex and ZeroGravitas like this.
  10. Sgt Smash

Sgt Smash Member
    Hawkeye King

11. -=ROOSTER=-

-=ROOSTER=- Bock, bock, B"gAAK!!!

Did anyone get a screenshot of it? (the page with the pics)

Seth_Seth likes this.
  12. harpo99999

harpo99999 ah kick till it starts

I see that corporal crack(above) now shows hex

Seth_Seth likes this.
  13. xXThunderFlameXx

xXThunderFlameXx Aircraft Enthusiast

That translates to asfkhj_Z'f(s in square brackets), which is the password for the site, currently we are trying to figure out the username.

#13 xXThunderFlameXx, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Aardvark123 and Seth_Seth like this.
  14. JimmyBlether

JimmyBlether SFS SUPREME COMMANDER

NOW I SEE WHY IT SAID SIGN IN!!!!

rdoom2003 and Seth_Seth like this.
  15. ZeroGravitas

OK, I was just running back over the exact steps taken so far, to see if we jumped over something by mistake, or if the letter transposition cipher would be useful in understanding a later clue. Tell me if I've misunderstood events, those who were following more closely.

Step 1 - first gif:

[TRANSMISSION STARTS]

HDRSEJ UM MQKRMEASKQ. WE CPVE DJSEQAEMSEN RKIE RSQPJBE NKAUIEJSR PJN WE JEEN CEHM
    LISTEN UP PROSPECTOR. WE HAVE INTERCEPTED SOME STRANGE DOCUMENTS AND WE NEED HELP

UJNEQRSPJNDJB SCEI. D CPVE REJS YKU SCE TDHER REAUQEHY. BK SK YKUQ NDRAKQN AKJRKHE
    UNDERSTANDING THEM. I HAVE SENT YOU THE FILES SECURELY. GO TO YOUR DISCORD CONSOLE

UJDS PJN EJSEQ SCE AKIIPJN " !MQKFEAS-_ _ _ _ _ _ " LZZZZS MQKRMEASKQ! NDN YKU
    UNIT AND ENTER THE COMMAND " !PROJECT-_ _ _ _ _ _ " BZZZZT PROSPECTOR! DID YOU

BES SCPS D RPDN !MQKFEAS-
    GET THAT I SAID !PROJECT-

[TRANSMISSION ENDS]

So the cipher is:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ "-"!?.

CGHIEJ_LMNOBPD_ARSTFUVW__Z "-"!?.

The letters G, O, X and Y were never used. The rest could be figured out by guessing and seeing what made consistent words (or using cryptogram solver, in practice). Note: L=>B, Z=>Z relies on knowing that Sargent Smash uses "Bzzzzt" in game dialogue, seeing as it's not an English word.

Step 2:

A new channel "discord-console" appeared in the discord server, under a new section "TOP SECRET".

Users effectively did a brute force dictionary attack looking at all possible 6 letter words that might fill the 6 blanked out characters in the original message. They decided (?) that the last letter might be "t", from the end of the "BZZZZT", which helped narrow it down to "Planet". I'm suspicious of this step, it seems like a leap... Did I miss some reasoning? [Edit: resolved below...]

Typing the chat command "!project-planet" in this channel triggered the bot to post a link to this Imgur album of 6 images, titled "[TOP SECRET] Do not distribute!"

Step 3:

The images contained fragments of a QR code, part in each. Assembled and cleaned up, it looks like this:

[​IMG]

Scanning that gave the url: http://project-planet.tech/

Which just gives this login prompt, with unknown user name and password:
    [​IMG]

Step 4:

Another gif clue was posted the next day, above, showing the following numbers:

615B
    735D
    666B
    686A
    5F5A

The character use suggests a hexadecimal encoding (base 16: numbers 1-9 then letters a-f). This suggests that the rows or columns are translatable to a more human readable encoding. E.g. colour codes (which don't really give any information specific enough to help with login details).

In ASCII the rows come out as:
    Code:
    a[s]fkhj_Z'f
    ...which is not very helpful, even if transposed with the original cipher. (It could be a very secure password, without any rhyme or meaning.)

And the over-thinking continues...

Attached Files:

#15 ZeroGravitas, Nov 7, 2018 at 2:40 AM
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 5:51 AM
  16. ZeroGravitas

So @Tech_Fusion, on discord, pointed out that figuring out the reverse cryptogram cipher for the first clue, in Step 1, is how we were supposed to find "planet": it's the first 6 characters of the alphabet:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    PLANET_CDF_HIJKM_Q_SUVW__Z

(I think we can assume G=>B, K=>G, Q=>O, S=>R, X=>X, Y=>Y.)

Nothing has been done with the character string shown in the images, as yet. (Although it might well be irrelevant window dressing.):

" A45.657.FF6.7EB.0A4 PTP "

Hex to decimal conversion of this:
    2629.1623.4086.2027.164 [PTP]

Here are some conversions for the 6 four character strings in the second gif (when guessing they are hexadecimal numbers):
    Code:
    Hex   | Pairs to | Ascii | Decimal |  Binary

| decimal  |       | (whole) |

------|----------|-------|---------|------------------

615B  |  97  91  |  a[   |  24923  |  0110000101011011

735D  | 115  93  |  s]   |  29533  |  0111001101011101

666B  | 102 107  |  fk   |  26219  |  0110011001101011

686A  | 104 106  |  hj   |  26730  |  0110100001101010

5F5A  |  95  90  |  _Z   |  24410  |  0101111101011010

2766  |  39 102  |  'f   |  10086  |  0010011101100110
    Notes: I can't make out any drawing/symbol in the 1s and 0s, nor is it Morse code (without spaces).

A little odd that the hex would be in blocks of 4 characters, if it is ascii. But the " a [ s ] f k h j _ Z ' f " string was pinned in discord, however. " c [ t ] j o l n _ z ' j " would be the conversion of this using the original cipher. I can't find any good anagrams from either, even assuming the "_" is a wildcard (any letter you like), but I may have failed...

It's rather co-incidental that there are 6 sets of characters, here, and 6 images in the album (also 6 characters in the missed word "planet").

#16 ZeroGravitas, Nov 7, 2018 at 2:58 AM
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 8:29 AM
  17. Galrex

Galrex Possibilist

Which one is the correct one? The one you posted in the discord or this one? I think you need to double check the one shown here (the alignment).

#17 Galrex, Nov 7, 2018 at 3:38 AM
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 3:44 AM
    Aardvark123 likes this.
  18. ZeroGravitas

Should be identical, but for the use of a font that has fixed character width (with [space], etc).

Aardvark123 likes this.
  19. GamerParrish

GamerParrish Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I'm checking the code for the website and not very conventional code is used. I'm furthering this investigation.

20. ZeroGravitas

I was looking at simple numerical shifts of the ASCII values (after converting from hex), but nothing jumped out at me. (It would have to be an arbitrary shift *and* a two word anagram to get something coherent out of this...):

[​IMG]

I also had a quick try at columnar transportation, with the 4 columns shifted around before conversion. Didn't manage to try all combinations, but saw nothing meaningful. Also tried rotating the grid 90 degrees. Going slightly mad now... :confused:

I thought it would be cool if it popped out the end part of a URL for an unlisted YouTube video (continuing the multi-media treasure hunt to another platform), but that would need an 11 character string and this code generates 12 characters (unless one is the "=" or something).

Attached Files:

#20 ZeroGravitas, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:12 AM
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 11:42 AM