[INCOMING ENCRYPTED MESSAGE]

Dat Derp

Chief SFS scientist
What? Any clues? Ahh smart its in a picture so I cant copy and paste it into google very smart.

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
[Transmission Starts]
Can we get a passphrase or a key word to help with the decryption of this transmission?
Have a good one [8D)
[Transmission Ends]

Dat Derp

Chief SFS scientist
Ok for anyone else trying here's a list of what methods of decoding I've already tried:
base64
binary
SHA1 hash
SHA259 hash
SHA512 hash
reverse string
Unicode
well that's all I've tried so far good luck everyone.

Website
duckduckgo.com
The message has been cracked in the Discord. In fact, it can only be continued in the Discord.

The message contained a command which could be used in the Discord, it then led to an imgur link with photos containing snippets of a QR code. After piecing the code together and scanning it, it leads to this website: http://project-planet.tech/

That is all we can do for today, apparently there will be more clues released tomorrow so I would highly recommend joining the Discord and participating in the search using this link: https://discord.gg/7dfs2S

Dat Derp

Chief SFS scientist
The message has been cracked in the Discord. In fact, it can only be continued in the Discord.

The message contained a command which could be used in the Discord, it then led to an imgur link with photos containing snippets of a QR code. After piecing the code together and scanning it, it leads to this website: http://project-planet.tech/

That is all we can do for today, apparently there will be more clues released tomorrow so I would highly recommend joining the Discord and participating in the search using this link: https://discord.gg/7dfs2S
Thanks for the heads up other wise I would be on a wild goose chase (bird pun intended).

JimmyBlether

A Kerbal Demon
Website
tinyurl.com
It asked me to sign in.

What is going on???

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
OK, I was just running back over the exact steps taken so far, to see if we jumped over something by mistake, or if the letter transposition cipher would be useful in understanding a later clue. Tell me if I've misunderstood events, those who were following more closely.

Step 1 - first gif:

[TRANSMISSION STARTS]

HDRSEJ UM MQKRMEASKQ. WE CPVE DJSEQAEMSEN RKIE RSQPJBE NKAUIEJSR PJN WE JEEN CEHM
LISTEN UP PROSPECTOR. WE HAVE INTERCEPTED SOME STRANGE DOCUMENTS AND WE NEED HELP

UJNEQRSPJNDJB SCEI. D CPVE REJS YKU SCE TDHER REAUQEHY. BK SK YKUQ NDRAKQN AKJRKHE
UNDERSTANDING THEM. I HAVE SENT YOU THE FILES SECURELY. GO TO YOUR DISCORD CONSOLE

UJDS PJN EJSEQ SCE AKIIPJN " !MQKFEAS-_ _ _ _ _ _ " LZZZZS MQKRMEASKQ! NDN YKU
UNIT AND ENTER THE COMMAND " !PROJECT-_ _ _ _ _ _ " BZZZZT PROSPECTOR! DID YOU

BES SCPS D RPDN !MQKFEAS-
GET THAT I SAID !PROJECT-

[TRANSMISSION ENDS]

So the cipher is:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ "-"!?.

CGHIEJ_LMNOBPD_ARSTFUVW__Z "-"!?.

The letters G, O, X and Y were never used. The rest could be figured out by guessing and seeing what made consistent words (or using cryptogram solver, in practice). Note: L=>B, Z=>Z relies on knowing that Sargent Smash uses "Bzzzzt" in game dialogue, seeing as it's not an English word.

Step 2:

A new channel "discord-console" appeared in the discord server, under a new section "TOP SECRET".

Users effectively did a brute force dictionary attack looking at all possible 6 letter words that might fill the 6 blanked out characters in the original message. They decided (?) that the last letter might be "t", from the end of the "BZZZZT", which helped narrow it down to "Planet". I'm suspicious of this step, it seems like a leap... Did I miss some reasoning? [Edit: resolved below...]

Typing the chat command "!project-planet" in this channel triggered the bot to post a link to this Imgur album of 6 images, titled "[TOP SECRET] Do not distribute!"

Step 3:

The images contained fragments of a QR code, part in each. Assembled and cleaned up, it looks like this:

Scanning that gave the url: http://project-planet.tech/

Which just gives this login prompt, with unknown user name and password:

Step 4:

Another gif clue was posted the next day, above, showing the following numbers:

615B
735D
666B
686A
5F5A

The character use suggests a hexadecimal encoding (base 16: numbers 1-9 then letters a-f). This suggests that the rows or columns are translatable to a more human readable encoding. E.g. colour codes (which don't really give any information specific enough to help with login details).

In ASCII the rows come out as:
Code:
a[s]fkhj_Z'f
...which is not very helpful, even if transposed with the original cipher. (It could be a very secure password, without any rhyme or meaning.)

And the over-thinking continues...

Attachments

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm suspicious of this step, it seems like a leap... Did I miss some reasoning?
So @Tech_Fusion, on discord, pointed out that figuring out the reverse cryptogram cipher for the first clue, in Step 1, is how we were supposed to find "planet": it's the first 6 characters of the alphabet:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
PLANET_CDF_HIJKM_Q_SUVW__Z

(I think we can assume G=>B, K=>G, Q=>O, S=>R, X=>X, Y=>Y.)

Nothing has been done with the character string shown in the images, as yet. (Although it might well be irrelevant window dressing.):

" A45.657.FF6.7EB.0A4 PTP "

Hex to decimal conversion of this:
2629.1623.4086.2027.164 [PTP]

Here are some conversions for the 6 four character strings in the second gif (when guessing they are hexadecimal numbers):
Code:
Hex   | Pairs to | Ascii | Decimal |  Binary

| decimal  |       | (whole) |

------|----------|-------|---------|------------------

615B  |  97  91  |  a[   |  24923  |  0110000101011011

735D  | 115  93  |  s]   |  29533  |  0111001101011101

666B  | 102 107  |  fk   |  26219  |  0110011001101011

686A  | 104 106  |  hj   |  26730  |  0110100001101010

5F5A  |  95  90  |  _Z   |  24410  |  0101111101011010

2766  |  39 102  |  'f   |  10086  |  0010011101100110
Notes: I can't make out any drawing/symbol in the 1s and 0s, nor is it Morse code (without spaces).

A little odd that the hex would be in blocks of 4 characters, if it is ascii. But the " a [ s ] f k h j _ Z ' f " string was pinned in discord, however. " c [ t ] j o l n _ z ' j " would be the conversion of this using the original cipher. I can't find any good anagrams from either, even assuming the "_" is a wildcard (any letter you like), but I may have failed...

It's rather co-incidental that there are 6 sets of characters, here, and 6 images in the album (also 6 characters in the missed word "planet").

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I was looking at simple numerical shifts of the ASCII values (after converting from hex), but nothing jumped out at me. (It would have to be an arbitrary shift *and* a two word anagram to get something coherent out of this...):

I also had a quick try at columnar transportation, with the 4 columns shifted around before conversion. Didn't manage to try all combinations, but saw nothing meaningful. Also tried rotating the grid 90 degrees. Going slightly mad now... :confused:

I thought it would be cool if it popped out the end part of a URL for an unlisted YouTube video (continuing the multi-media treasure hunt to another platform), but that would need an 11 character string and this code generates 12 characters (unless one is the "=" or something).

Attachments

Last edited: