Improvements to R&D

hahadead7777

Little late to this post :/ but for spawning an enemy Tech that is easy to do. Just have an anchor-able block that when placed you can right click and a GUI pops up with Techs from what ever lists are going to be a part of it. Once the Tech is selected a short line of code destroys the block and initiates an invader spawning script as that Tech. The block can also simply un-anchor or place the spawn point behind it. They can only go so far away from the red circle as it is so that clears the staying in 1 area issue. Still a beginner at coding so I can't just give you the code yet but shouldn't be hard to make :rolleyes:.

Now here is something that I would like to maybe be an R&D exclusive. Flags.
Below is a picture of how flags can be made in minecraft using the space mod (forgot the mods name). Using your mouse you can draw where it says "Custom Flag" though if it is deemed not worth allowing that due to some questionable designs then some pre-made flags, pre-set images, or customisable images that can be combined. The 3rd one would work like how Clash of Clans clan emblems can be made in the second image. Blank flags can be crafted with a simple recipe or are auto unlocked cause we're special for owning R&D :D and right clicking the blank flag pops up the single use GUI that can't be used once you click accept. Or at least we have easier access to the flags then players without R&D but who gets them is up to you all ;)

GamerParrish

Jamie this one is a little obvious
1. Ability to toggle enemies and other objects (Jamie Card, targets, ect.)
2. Dev mode (You cant take damage no matter what)
3. Block Clearing (destroy Jamie card and not break your computer)
4.R&D hats
5. the 4 different biomes but mini size for testing.
6. Make it so resources dont spawn under you when mining.
7. Make batterys have infinite power
8. Spawn resources
9. Change friendly techs to enemie techs
10. A geyser away from other resourses
11. Save R&D
All of these were chosen by public not by me. Im just posting the most requested

King_Arthur_VII

Reading through the forum, many of these i agree with, aside from things like spawning resources, defeats perpouse of scouting it out. Here are three things I would like to see...

The first being AI action settings, being able to tell an AI (enemy or not) how to attack. Weather its a straight on attack, spiral and reared strikes, or perhaps even flight? As well as a perminant idle, the current idle lasts like 2 seconds? Not very helpful...

The second would be traction, when it comes to larger techs in campaigns, they will slide even off the smallest of slopes, a problem that I have found extremely annoying. GeoCorp wheels should have more traction than others for those truly gigantic monsters that some people make.

The third and last being mobile charging. I know that the mobile furnace will charge your batteries, but its not very helpful for most crafts, perhaps a version of the solar panels to strap on a craft would be fantastic, but would be understandable if not added, invasion techs could become invincible...

(All of these would be for campaign and r&s)

Outside of these, many other people have already mentioned things that I was looking for, like creating enemy AI and spawning random ones in. Outside of this i love the game, 20/10, thank you for this game!!!!

Last edited:

Darkdc119

Website
www.twitch.tv
Jamie this one is a little obvious
4.R&D hats
6. Make it so resources dont spawn under you when mining.
8. Spawn resources
9. Change friendly techs to enemie techs
10. A geyser away from other resourses
11. Save R&D
All of these were chosen by public not by me. Im just posting the most requested
A:I already have a thread about this and i don`t really see the point of toggling other objects then only AI purely for testing

A:Why would you need this then only for cheating the game.

A: We already have that we call that a GSO SCU Storage Device

4.R&D hats
A: This is FUN but we don`t NEED it , next DLC maybe.

A: This i would agree looking forward in R&D

6. Make it so resources don`t spawn under you when mining.
A: They trying to create a real simulation world so real resources can not decide to grow here instead of there because you are standing at the same spot.

A: Why not impenetrable shields and infinite repair bubbles then we don`t need these infinite batteries .

8. Spawn resources
A: That would be dumb it is like u suggest that money needs to come from the sky and ready to use u need to work for those resource .

9. Change friendly techs to enemies techs
A: see 1.

10. A geyser away from other resources
A: Why , What is the logic of this , why does it needs to be separated when it happens it so spawned this way.

11. Save R&D
A: I don`t get it , isn`t there a save possibility ?

Sorry but i don`t want to be sarcastic but most of them are just rubbish then only to cheat the game.
If you don`t work u don`t eat , its a simple as that .

What i like to see improved is the HE blocks to be more clear when building a tech it is hard to see in what position these blocks are until you put them there seeing it is not correct then pull it out , position them again in the right way. They are TO translucent.

Last edited:

Lost Ninja

A:Why would you need this then only for cheating the game.
Specifically when testing something in the R&D mode then perhaps you don't want to take damage. Not hard to understand.

A: We already have that we call that a GSO SCU Storage Device
It might be down to my PC but for me even using multiple SCUs to clear out blocks for the various destructible techs in R&D slows my PC down to a crawl.

A: This i would agree looking forward in R&D
In all honesty as the different Biomes are functionally identical with the only real difference being resources placement and hills, a better selection of ramps (taken from the challenge modes) you don't actually need physical copies of the Biomes.

6. Make it so resources don`t spawn under you when mining.
A: They trying to create a real simulation world so real resources can not decide to grow here instead of there because you are standing at the same spot.
In the campaign setting resources seldom spawn directly under you (by design I think) yet they always do in R&D, making the R&D spawning rules work the same as the campaign spawning rules would certainly be a good step.

A: Why not impenetrable shields and infinite repair bubbles then we don`t need these infinite batteries .
Both, infinite batteries to test how much damage you need to do to get past regen/shield, infinite shield/regen to test other stuff.

8. Spawn resources
A: That would be dumb it is like u suggest that money needs to come from the sky and ready to use u need to work for those resource .
Less dumb than suggesting you need money in R&D anyway. If you're trying to test a refining/fabricating system, it would be far easier to test if you could just spawn in a bunch of resources.

9. Change friendly techs to enemies techs
A: see 1.
I didn't comment on 1 but in essence you don't understand why people would want to test techs in R&D. Perhaps you don't understand the purpose of R&D?

10. A geyser away from other resources
A: Why , What is the logic of this , why does it needs to be separated when it happens it so spawned this way.
Well lets see if you want to make a power station using the geyser as a power source you have to build it into a whole field of resources that you cannot clear out (see #6). In R&D it makes sense to have the geyser placed at a distance to the main resource field... I'd go further and request several geysers (with plenty of space around each...

11. Save R&D
A: I don`t get it , isn`t there a save possibility ?
If there is it's unique to your game. Saving R&D would make it possible to save a collection of techs that you might be working on at one time so you can return at a later time to resume work. IIRC the devs have actually said that this will come, and has been hinted at several times in the past as something that is being actively worked upon.

Sorry but i don`t want to be sarcastic but most of them are just rubbish then only to cheat the game.
If you don`t work u don`t eat , its a simple as that .
I don't care if I'm sarcastic but you really need to find out what the whole point of R&D is before you post in such a 'sarcastic' manner... :p

Darkdc119

Website
www.twitch.tv
Specifically when testing something in the R&D mode then perhaps you don't want to take damage. Not hard to understand.
I am sorry I assumed that the dev mode was for in-game and R&D .In R&D it would be fine aslong it can not be abused in-game.

It might be down to my PC but for me even using multiple SCUs to clear out blocks for the various destructible techs in R&D slows my PC down to a crawl
Ok this should be the only reason why there can be a button , but until now the devs are mostly focus on making the game\R&D work and improve the bugs the said on stream that the fps issues would be prioritised later .

In all honesty as the different Biomes are functionally identical with the only real difference being resources placement and hills, a better selection of ramps (taken from the challenge modes) you don't actually need physical copies of the Biomes.
I was already agreeing to that

In the campaign setting resources seldom spawn directly under you (by design I think) yet they always do in R&D, making the R&D spawning rules work the same as the campaign spawning rules would certainly be a good step.
Yes i can see your point now .I never had this problem my tech always have some sort of
drill that if they spawn underneath they will be destroyed in seconds. ( hence testing in R&D )

Both, infinite batteries to test how much damage you need to do to get past regen/shield, infinite shield/regen to test other stuff.
I still can not agree and the reason for me is if these infinity x must be tested then other stuff that NEED to test would not be calculated together and i think that is more imported then how long it takes to penetrate a infinite X
For instance if i want to test a weakness of a battery i need to test it with no power if i do want to test it together with a shield then i must put the combination on the test and not an infinity battery with a infinity shield or repair , i need to find out how it works and react in the game not only in R&D an infinity shield will hinder my test because i need more damage to destroy that.

Less dumb than suggesting you need money in R&D anyway. If you're trying to test a refining/fabricating system, it would be far easier to test if you could just spawn in a bunch of resources.
This is almost the same answer as the resource spawn underneath your tech.
I have already included this solution in testing refining/fabricating system i always build a scrapper first so if i need resources of the specific kind i can scrap that on the conveyor so i don`t need the instant resource .( hence testing in R&D )

I didn't comment on 1 but in essence you don't understand why people would want to test techs in R&D. Perhaps you don't understand the purpose of R&D?
I see you already made up your mind about me how i test things even tho u never know me so i give you no comment.

Well lets see if you want to make a power station using the geyser as a power source you have to build it into a whole field of resources that you cannot clear out (see #6). In R&D it makes sense to have the geyser placed at a distance to the main resource field... I'd go further and request several geysers (with plenty of space around each...
Again I am sorry I assumed that it was also for in-game use and i get the idea

If there is it's unique to your game. Saving R&D would make it possible to save a collection of techs that you might be working on at one time so you can return at a later time to resume work. IIRC the devs have actually said that this will come, and has been hinted at several times in the past as something that is being actively worked upon.
Yes the question was a bit unclear "Save R&D" but when reading back after i post it i then realised what he tried to say.

I don't care if I'm sarcastic but you really need to find out what the whole point of R&D is before you post in such a 'sarcastic' manner... :p
uhm i only said that i was sounding sarcastic and that i was apologising for that before i started the anwser.
about point of testing its very simple if you think that i never or done enough testing and i don`t know the POINT of that then you are completely mistaken , i think that people want every thing in the game as much as possible for even if is already there . I did a lot of beta testing in my days and and try to see why features need to be there or is a waste of time because some testers are lazy "i want this " I want that " "can this be changed because it is easier for me or them " i think sometimes you need to be grateful for what the devs give you even if it is difficult to use .Explore your mind Not to demand things easier but how you can do without it and find something from what u already have to make it easier.

Peace

Lost Ninja

I'll preface this reply with a point... maybe you ought to check out the thread title!
Ok this should be the only reason why there can be a button , but until now the devs are mostly focus on making the game\R&D work and improve the bugs the said on stream that the fps issues would be prioritised later .
I don't think it is an FPS issue, it's an engine issue that once you exceed a certain number of objects (especially when they are piled up) the PC running the simulation will grind to a halt due to the excessive number of physics calculations.
I still can not agree and the reason for me is if these infinity x must be tested then other stuff that NEED to test would not be calculated together and i think that is more imported then how long it takes to penetrate a infinite X
For instance if i want to test a weakness of a battery i need to test it with no power if i do want to test it together with a shield then i must put the combination on the test and not an infinity battery with a infinity shield or repair , i need to find out how it works and react in the game not only in R&D an infinity shield will hinder my test because i need more damage to destroy that.
And you cannot accept that other people might test things is a different manner to yourself? If for sake of argument the devs added creative versions of the various power producing/using blocks that allowed infinite or near infinite use without removing the existing blocks... especially if said blocks were only usable in R&D. You would prefer that no-one had access to these blocks because you don't like to test in that manner?

I have already included this solution in testing refining/fabricating system i always build a scrapper first so if i need resources of the specific kind i can scrap that on the conveyor so i don`t need the instant resource .( hence testing in R&D )
Again I don't see why you have an issue in it. Strikes me that because you don't like something then no-one should. Currently I too use a scrapper for quick resources, because it's much simpler than trying to manage harvesting and building (though with a competent harvesting AI that too could become manageable). However if I didn't have to mess around trying to find the resources to test a refining setup I'd jump at the chance.

I see you already made up your mind about me how i test things even tho u never know me so i give you no comment.
I can only know you from what you have said. Based on what you said you clearly do not test things the way I do.

Darkdc119

Website
www.twitch.tv
I'll preface this reply with a point... maybe you ought to check out the thread title!

I don't think it is an FPS issue, it's an engine issue that once you exceed a certain number of objects (especially when they are piled up) the PC running the simulation will grind to a halt due to the excessive number of physics calculations.

And you cannot accept that other people might test things is a different manner to yourself? If for sake of argument the devs added creative versions of the various power producing/using blocks that allowed infinite or near infinite use without removing the existing blocks... especially if said blocks were only usable in R&D. You would prefer that no-one had access to these blocks because you don't like to test in that manner?

Again I don't see why you have an issue in it. Strikes me that because you don't like something then no-one should. Currently I too use a scrapper for quick resources, because it's much simpler than trying to manage harvesting and building (though with a competent harvesting AI that too could become manageable). However if I didn't have to mess around trying to find the resources to test a refining setup I'd jump at the chance.

I can only know you from what you have said. Based on what you said you clearly do not test things the way I do.
Oke this is going out of hand , i do like a good discussion but clearly we have different sight of some things .I do apologise if this sounds a bit troubling to you I get a feeling that you could be a nice bloke but ,we are each purely making suggestion so others can make their dissensions based on what we all saying if you or I don`t agree with that is something completely different , so we don`t need to explain each other reason witch one should be better.
I hope u understand what i mean .I can see that one thing we absolutely have in common we want this game to work smoothly and feedback is appreciated for the devs .

Hope you not mad ..peace

Lost Ninja

Hope you not mad ..peace
I'm not mad at all. And I can quite happily say that I don't expect anyone to agree with my own views... though of course it's nice when people do.

However if I don't ask what something or someone means when I don't understand I'll end up in the situation of not knowing what they were trying to say. And as the forums are a method to exchange ideas then asking for clarification or pointing out errors in someone else's ideas to gain insight into what they are trying to say is not - from my point of view - something to do to upset or inflame.

Perhaps it could be said that I am not the gentlest of posters and I know I often go a little bit (or a lot) further to get my point across than perhaps I should, if so I apologise.

Blizz Fizz

Forgive me if it's already been mentioned, this thread is long and my suggestion short;

Have a block disposal area of the side panel you can drag and delete blocks with. (Or a deletion hotkey) Currently I set up an SCU, but it would make life so much easier to just get rid of them where and when you need to.

Have the checkpoint button target a special R&D only block that anchors almost flush to the ground and can be moved. Or be able to alter the checkpoint coordinates. This would help when working with monster techs.

Remove the animation for the build beam. I love the aesthetic in terms of the normal gameplay, but its unneeded in R&D.

Most of my other thoughts have already been added by other members. There are a lot of great suggestions here!

MountainFalcon15

-Saving techs to use in different game modes. For example, saving a tech in campaign or creative mode and placing it in gauntlet.
-This might be a challenge, but a whole new company based on water and boats. New lake biome, also could add like a port to station your boat tech. resource could be oil.
-Map creator function (like steam workshop)
-In creative mode, setting different features. (No trees, rocks, crystals, no grass, mountain, salt flat, etc.) Basically like a world configurator.
-Delete tool in creative mode
-Button to remove all resource chunks and tech parts lying around to reduce lag.
-Terrain in R & D test chamber. (grass, mountain, salt. maybe even rock crawling terrain

That's all for now.

WillyGamesYT

Website
www.iloveterratechtotallynotafakesite.com
-Saving techs to use in different game modes. For example, saving a tech in campaign or creative mode and placing it in gauntlet.
Isn't that already a thing?
-This might be a challenge, but a whole new company based on water and boats. New lake biome, also could add like a port to station your boat tech. resource could be oil.
Quote from the TerraTech Discord Server: Drink up! - - Water is in early development. Currently we don't know when it's going to be added. Now go take a bath. You're starting to smell bad! Oh wait, there's no water. Haha!
-Map creator function (like steam workshop)
Don't quote me on this, but probably when multiplayer is added(planned to enter testing in 3 months) they'll add a feature like that.
-In creative mode, setting different features. (No trees, rocks, crystals, no grass, mountain, salt flat, etc.) Basically like a world configurator.
Maybe a future development. For now, probably should put in suggestions.
-Delete tool in creative mode
Yeah, we desperately need it.
-Button to remove all resource chunks and tech parts lying around to reduce lag.
That might create more lag.
-Terrain in R & D test chamber. (grass, mountain, salt. maybe even rock crawling terrain
There is something like rock crawling terrain, and if we put legit terrain in, then what's the point of having Creative?

streak1

Website
steamcommunity.com
Quote from the TerraTech Discord Server: Drink up! - - Water is in early development. Currently we don't know when it's going to be added. Now go take a bath. You're starting to smell bad! Oh wait, there's no water. Haha!
This seems a bit misleading. The devs have always said that adding water and boats would take a ton of time to make, so they are leaving it for after release, if they ever do it. As far as I know, they haven't started working on it at all. It's just out of the scope for the game at the moment.

Care to confirm this, in case things have changed, @Jamie ?

Adriano

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
This seems a bit misleading. The devs have always said that adding water and boats would take a ton of time to make, so they are leaving it for after release, if they ever do it. As far as I know, they haven't started working on it at all. It's just out of the scope for the game at the moment.

Care to confirm this, in case things have changed, @Jamie ?
In Jamie's absence today, I can confirm that things have not changed with regards to water in the game. I assume @WillyGamesYT is talking about a possible forthcoming mod?

WillyGamesYT

Website
www.iloveterratechtotallynotafakesite.com
No, it was just mis-information in a discord command. That command will be changed momentarily to be correct.
Now it reads:
- - Water is a commonly requested feature for Terratech. As much as the devs want to have it, it is a big task and will be added after 1.0, if it gets added at all. Now go take a bath. You're starting to smell bad! Oh wait, there's no water. Haha!

Good job @Baconus_Yum

An ability to make your tech invincible, unlimited battery, unlimited fuel, make our own enemy tech and have prebuilt tech you can use, some that are basic, others a bit more complex and big complex ones, all of this in the R&D test chamber.