Improvements to R&D

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Hi guys!

With creative mode on the cards for this year, we wanted to give R&D some love for all you awesome people who have backed us by purchasing the pack.

We have a good idea of what we want to/will do - but thought it couldn't hurt to reach out to all of you to see if there is anything in particular you'd like to see.

Place your thoughts below and i'll tally them all up. We're doing this across all our social channels so hopefully we get a good amount of feedback/consistency. Looking forward to seeing your thoughts! :)

stellatedHexahedron

Saving, of course. The ability to designate AI techs as enemies. Maybe adding a second pillar with the purchasing terminal that's easier to see from the center.

And probably idiosyncratic to me, a GUI button to pause all conveyor logic systems so that I could evaluate what is going on.

streak1

Website
steamcommunity.com
  1. The ability to make and spawn enemy techs.
  2. Sample terrain in the different biome styles. The bumps and slopes are nice, but they aren't very accurate.
    Sample terrain to test on. The bumps and slopes are nice, but they aren't very accurate to the real terrain
  3. Trading stations to build around, as to better test our techs and make them a part of our base. A GSO one, a GeoCorp one, and more when the other corps get added.
  4. The ability to save R&D as a world instead of just saving techs.
  5. A fix to keep the ramps and dispensers from despawning.
  6. A bigger charging station. The little one we have already isn't nearly enough. Or maybe just a button to instantly charge your tech.
  7. A button to delete all loose blocks from the R&D world.

Smoovious Laxness

I'd like to move the dispensers around, tho I do understand the reasons why that probably wouldn't be doable... at least in the default reserved area where you guys are changing what is and isn't available...

perhaps keep that area un-modifiable, but we could clone a dispenser for placement outside of that spot?

I love the idea for mini-biomes for us to test in... we definitely need a more realistic terrain choice available for test-drives... the ramps and the rumble area are nice, but not enough.

I don't have to mention saving the R&D instance... I've said that often enough already. :) (and yes, I know I just mentioned it. :D )

Designating a tech as an enemy is a definite plus... you could take that even further, and allow us to spawn in a random enemy tech, invasion style. (we'd need the ability to shut it down, tho... we shouldn't be able to edit ones that we didn't create, but a fail-safe is a must in this case)

um... what else... selectable time-of-day... with the option of setting the specific time (hour is probably enough), as well as letting the day/night cycle run normally.

an info window would be helpful too (which we can open and close) which shows the max dimensions of the tech we are currently in control, and perhaps some other info as well... weight, center-of-mass, max speed on level ground, etc etc)

I wouldn't mind being able to change the grid tile... I have several I used to use elsewhere that came in handy... being able to use mine, and set the tile size to 1x, 2x, 4x, etc, so I can match the measuring system would be needed... the one I used to use the most was a 8m x 8m tile...

Guess that's enough for now...

OH... and would it be too difficult to be able to place resources (rocks, trees, etc) in our own spots? That single row of everything, with obstacles to either side, isn't very convenient for testing some things.

-- Smoov

streak1

Website
steamcommunity.com
um... what else... selectable time-of-day... with the option of setting the specific time (hour is probably enough), as well as letting the day/night cycle run normally.
Forgot about this. This would be useful for testing the lighting on our techs. Lights are too laggy to bother with right now, but I am sure that will change in the future.

OH... and would it be too difficult to be able to place resources (rocks, trees, etc) in our own spots? That single row of everything, with obstacles to either side, isn't very convenient for testing some things.
This would be useful. Not necessarily for the rocks and stuff (they could use some more space, though), but for the resources themselves. It would be super useful to be able to spawn in resources like the devs do in the streams.

Also, reading it again, this thread seems more for what to give the backers rather than what to change in the map itself. After all, R&D will probably be obsolete once creative mode comes around.

Maybe some fancy skins like you are going to give the kickstarter backers? It could be the same ones or different ones, though it would be nice to see some for GeoCorp and Venture too.

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Here is my list.

1. Light switch
2. Saving the whole R&D instance
3. All block info text only shows up when you hover the mouse over them. The green text from the filters is annoying. Good for the whole game.
4. Real terrain to test on.
5. Ability to order the resources throught the terminal. Good for the whole game.
6. The dispensers lined up in a line, grouped in there corps instead of the U-shape we have now. My monsters are always getting stuck in there.
7. Have a trading station for each corp that could be placed by the player only in R&D.
8. Switch to turn off damage types. Crashing, explosive or splash damage.
9. Switch to turn off Shields and Regens. Great for the whole game.
10. Fix the problem with monster techs not being able to be ordered in the shop. I have a few of these.

Some of these have been repeated just so that there would be an extra vote for it, but the rest are some of the little things that bug me while I am in my happy place.;) I am guessing that the R&D will be replace by the creative mode.

Just some thoughts

Have a good one

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
Here is my list.

1. Light switch
2. Saving the whole R&D instance
3. All block info text only shows up when you hover the mouse over them. The green text from the filters is annoying. Good for the whole game.
4. Real terrain to test on.
5. Ability to order the resources throught the terminal. Good for the whole game.
6. The dispensers lined up in a line, grouped in there corps instead of the U-shape we have now. My monsters are always getting stuck in there.
7. Have a trading station for each corp that could be placed by the player only in R&D.
8. Switch to turn off damage types. Crashing, explosive or splash damage.
9. Switch to turn off Shields and Regens. Great for the whole game.
10. Fix the problem with monster techs not being able to be ordered in the shop. I have a few of these.

Some of these have been repeated just so that there would be an extra vote for it, but the rest are some of the little things that bug me while I am in my happy place.;) I am guessing that the R&D will be replace by the creative mode.

Just some thoughts

Have a good one
I also want all of these alterations as they would improve the entire R&D experience for me

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Also, reading it again, this thread seems more for what to give the backers rather than what to change in the map itself. After all, R&D will probably be obsolete once creative mode comes around.
No this is fine :) Exactly what we wanted to see.

Some awesome ideas in here guys! Keep 'em coming!

Smoovious Laxness

Definitely this one... at the very least, have them only show up when you are close to them, and when rendering, take their depth into account so an object in front of the text, blocks the text.
With a lot of space in between the rows... my transport gets stuck often in a couple places, especially around the row of pre-fab examples, which I always end up dismantling when I open R&D just to avoid getting stuck.

-- Smoov

Smoovious Laxness

Possible to test a build in combat by able to spawn in 1 or more AI techs, both random and by choice from Community and own. Choose if batteries charged or not.
To add to this one, some way to keep enemy techs confined to a large area (or to keep them away from the central building area... perhaps enemy techs not allowed to be closer than 200m to any of the central testing/building area, so when we're testing a construct, the enemy tech doesn't end up destroying our other stuff we have nearby that we aren't testing.

-- Smoov

Bgrmystr2

Website
en.touhouwiki.net
If there's anything I'd add, I wouldn't mind being able to designate my own personal designs as spawnable enemy AI techs and bases (and the techs that spawn with the bases) so I can fight them myself when playing in story mode..

This would, of course, open doors to giving players the ability to create a base that can store power but also charge the batteries of enemy techs that would spawn nearby. Not saying the bases you devs make are bad or anything, they're just simple, early-game, and all based on gathering resources.. there's no other types of bases to speak of, nor is there anything fortress-esque we could assault.

Though to be fair, that'd prolly be something added to creative mode, but a guy can dream. :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to be a jerk but I'm frustrated because even on my new gaming PC my frame rates are so low it makes the game unplayable. 4 fps doesn't work. So as much as I like all the new stuff can you all just optimize the game so what is all ready there actually work right?

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
delta kilo, what are the specs of your new gaming pc?
if we know the specs we can give you a better ideawhat and where the problems are and possibly even improve them.
btw specs are hardware, os, antivirus and other programs/apps that are running all the time

Lost Ninja

1. Able to buy/spawn SCU
  2. Able to place objects from Gauntlet/Challenge modes.
  3. Spawn/Place resource nodes.
  4. Spawn resources.
Though to be honest just allowing us to save a R&D instance (assuming it uses the normal save file format) would make all these possible (for me... ;) )
  1. Switch off tooltips.
  2. Change lighting.
  3. Add real terrain.
  4. Spawn enemies/friends/neutrals.
  5. Change the damage level on blocks/techs, especially to make things invincible.
  6. Change batteries to have infinite charge.
  7. Add prefab block groupings (that we can make) that can then be assembled into larger techs.
  8. Copy, Cut, Paste, Delete, Rotate, Mirror, Flip (groups of blocks)...
I don't doubt that I can come up with more. Knowing how the map is generated somewhat I know that there isn't likely to ever be a map editor... but a map editor would be really cool.

matik2002

- Debug mode (think invulnerable techs, unlock all blocks and spawn own techs as enemies)
- Terrain altering mode
- Map editor for Gauntlet
- Placing all blocks existing in game files (if the block haven't got a model yet then it appears as a GSO block, also may crash)
- Dev mode (when mods come)
- Special R&D hats
- Special GSO/GEO/VEN skin for R&D owners (anyone remembers the kickstarter campaign?)
- Enemy population alternation (so you can fight your techs only/techs from a specific twitter profile)

That's everything for now.