Improve Connection Points loading

FightBiscuit

May 6, 2016
Germany
Hey,
I know this has improved since the 0.6 or so but in my opinion it could be still done way better.
The problem is that big Bases/Techs have many attachement Points. So many, that it can take a eternity to load the mounting position you want.
This problem is most common for the GEO Basic Blocks since they have so many attach points, but smaller blocks can get a problem too.

In my case, I wanted to build a base with the 2x2x4 GEO Blocks acting as pillar (mounted vertically). It takes around 20 seconds now (no Potato PC) till the vertical Position has loaded.

Here are some suggestions how this could get improved:
  • Maybe load the orientation in which you attached the last block (if it was the same) first. So if you want to place 10 Blocks in the same orientation it loads faster
  • I noticed that the Area near my cursor load first, but this advantage is almost useless because it loads one orientaion after the other which means that it loads the wrong orientation at the wrong end of your tech before the orientation you want. Instead, the Positions (in every Orientation) could load in a cylinder around the direction your Cursor is pointing to. (Maybe even get rid of the Connection symbols or make them smaller)
  • I often accidentally hovered over my Cab-Tech which I`m using to build the Base and I needed to reload the Positions on my Base so maybe save the just loaded Positions from another Tech?

Last edited:

WhitePaw2002

Aceba1
Jan 7, 2016
North-east America
github.com
Don't know how the third one is a suggestion, but honestly, math. Math is the answer. No better way than math. For the uniquely shaped blocks? Math. Normal blocks? Math. No better way. Nope.
Unless there IS a better way, and in that scenario, there is a better way to generate connection points than math. Unless there is not.

FightBiscuit

May 6, 2016
Germany
Don't know how the third one is a suggestion, but honestly, math. Math is the answer. No better way than math. For the uniquely shaped blocks? Math. Normal blocks? Math. No better way. Nope.
Unless there IS a better way, and in that scenario, there is a better way to generate connection points than math. Unless there is not.
Added some text to the third :)
But i have no Idea what you mean with the rest of your Text ...

FightBiscuit

May 6, 2016
Germany
So by saving the positions, you mean to create some kind of temporary dump where all the node locations and properties, if there are any, are saved for a specific tech when fully or partially loaded, removing once updated or after a set amount of time?
That would be nice too
I mainly talked about which parts of the Tech to load first

WhitePaw2002

Aceba1
Jan 7, 2016
North-east America
github.com
If I were to choose any of these options, it would be math.
Math is the answer. No better way than math. For the uniquely shaped blocks? Math. Normal blocks? Math. No better way. Nope.

Unless there IS a better way, and in that scenario, there is a better way to generate connection points than math.

Unless there is not.
That's right, past version of myself.