IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION REGARDING 0.7.6.1!

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
Important Notification

I am able to confirm that savegames which are mapseed dependent from 0.7.6 stable and prior may experience problems similar to what was experienced during the community core of 2nd August 2017 when @Jamie & @Zeena Loaded my creative savegame file!

Therefore, I Strongly Urge Everyone interested in preserving their progress within 0.7.6 stable prior to upgrading to 0.7.6.1 Unstable to store most of their ingame assets in SCU storage and return to map coordinates 0,0 and anchor all techs (initial grassland spawn location) BEFORE upgrading to 0.7.6.1 Unstable!

Edit: It has also been discovered that any location based quests may be no longer be able to completed and are incorrectly displayed until within close proximity on the minimap. As always with unstable versions of Terratech it is a good idea to begin an entirely new campaign save as @Adriano advises within his reply to this thread which is quoted below:

Always a good idea to start a fresh save game if you're playing the Unstable version of the game. Reduces the chance of things going bad if you're particularly attached to your main save :)
Edit #2: Per @Django in the most recent post (quoted below) to this thread (as of this second edit) it is also important to anchor all player assets in order to avoid this type of error from occurring to a savegame created in 0.7.6 stable before upgrading to 0.7.6.1 unstable.

After lots of investigation we've found the issue and will be fixing it for a next unstable. As long as a save file hasn't been re-saved after it was found to load up incorrectly it will fix itself after we've made the change. The problem with saving after it's been seen to go wrong is that any block or unanchored tech underground will fall under the effects of gravity, and subsequently end up too far under the terrain - even the original terrain it was placed on.

The reason we've not spotted it before, and it only seems to happen sometimes is that it does not affect all biomes. More precicely it's focussed around ice biome placement, and most other biomes remain unchanged.

Last edited:

Adriano

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
May 16, 2016
Always a good idea to start a fresh save game if you're playing the Unstable version of the game. Reduces the chance of things going bad if you're particularly attached to your main save :)

Django

Apr 21, 2016
London, UK
Hey Zed, it seems like the terrain being generated is different between Stable 7.6 and the latest unstable, although no intentional change has been made.
This is the first we've seen of it, and loading other saves from 7.6 or earlier has so far not ended up with different terrain.
Have you been able to reproduce it on more than one save file so far?

Reactions: Zed

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
Hey Zed, it seems like the terrain being generated is different between Stable 7.6 and the latest unstable, although no intentional change has been made.
This is the first we've seen of it, and loading other saves from 7.6 or earlier has so far not ended up with different terrain.
Have you been able to reproduce it on more than one save file so far?
Currently of the 5 seeds I have which were started in 0.7.6 stable only the creative save from the ice biome has displayed the error where previously generated terrain has been transposed. I will modify the language of the original post regarding the probability of the error occurring.

Django

Apr 21, 2016
London, UK
After lots of investigation we've found the issue and will be fixing it for a next unstable. As long as a save file hasn't been re-saved after it was found to load up incorrectly it will fix itself after we've made the change. The problem with saving after it's been seen to go wrong is that any block or unanchored tech underground will fall under the effects of gravity, and subsequently end up too far under the terrain - even the original terrain it was placed on.

The reason we've not spotted it before, and it only seems to happen sometimes is that it does not affect all biomes. More precicely it's focussed around ice biome placement, and most other biomes remain unchanged.

Reactions: Zed

Masakari

Nov 2, 2016
As long as a save file hasn't been re-saved after it was found to load up incorrectly it will fix itself after we've made the change.
This is another reason/example why we should have/need a manual save control (like R&D and creative) and auto-save options (turning it off, longer time interval between saving). Some of us will be dumbstruck when we see it happening (I'm prone to doing this myself if it's something really confusing) and forget to quickly exit to prevent the auto-save from happening, which will then make us lose all our progress, and in turn make some mad/rage.

About the auto-save timer; Due to no on screen indicator as to WHEN it saves (which would let us know if that game save is screwed), does it start as soon as the game is told to load up (clicking continue or load game), or as soon as you are in the game and able to do stuff? I ask because some of us don't have the best rigs to run this game, especially when we have various projects/techs/bases in our current location when we load in which could drastically affect loading times before we are actually in game and able to play.

Also off topic to some extent; Is there any plans to have a save backup system put into place? I imagine a lot of users forget to or don't know how to make backups for their game saves (not sure why in this day and age but....yeah some forget or don't know how) and can also get mad/rage when stuff hits the fan (the ones who don't quite understand what an early access alpha/beta entails).

Reactions: Zed and Sozin
P

Pink Kitty

Ah, nope.

i've found plains in places where there were none before.
I always use the same seed, so i can learn my way around, and see the changes.
This time round, i found ice all over the place, some mountains replaced by grass, and desert replaced by flats.

also, trade Stations buried or floating.

and this is from a fresh [0.7.6.1] save.

Django

Apr 21, 2016
London, UK
@Masakari I don't disagree.

@Pink Kitty keyword being most other biomes remain the same. I suspect large parts of your designated seed look the same, yet some areas are an entirely different biome?

Are you saying you've seen a problem with a world created in 7.6.1, that on loading it (in 7.6.1) displays different terrain? Or is this loading it up in the new 7.6.2 unstable?

If you could post the save game with some information on what you expect to see vs what you get that would greatly help us narrow what potential issue there is.

P

Pink Kitty

@Masakari I don't disagree.

@Pink Kitty keyword being most other biomes remain the same. I suspect large parts of your designated seed look the same, yet some areas are an entirely different biome?

Are you saying you've seen a problem with a world created in 7.6.1, that on loading it (in 7.6.1) displays different terrain? Or is this loading it up in the new 7.6.2 unstable?

If you could post the save game with some information on what you expect to see vs what you get that would greatly help us narrow what potential issue there is.

Not sure there even IS an issue here.
Just a statement, that a fresh save started in [0.7.6.2] has a much rearranged terrain from .1, and not just ice.

In this Seed: 'FatBlackCat2' there is a chunk of Salt flats at the 1200m mark, where there was none before.

I don't mind the change, i'd just like to know that changes were intended, and not a bug.

Ib can post the save if you want, but it's been long enough that i can't really tell any more.

It was more a case of 'Hey! There's never been salt flat there before! Normally it's... sand i think?'