I think guns should be heavier

So, after a discussion about armour, i had a look on steam.
Theree are almost no techs with a lot of armour, and lots with rows upon rows of guns.
because guns are tough. theey are armour. And they shoot too.
I reckon the game balance would be a bit better if we had fewer guns [learned that word just recent] and morur cool bits and armour.
So what if the guns were heavier?
what if you didn't want to have so many?
that would encourage blocks and armour, and cool bits, and less [more guns that a hedgehog has spikes].
Maybe up the armour a bit too.

what do you think?

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Have you been checking out the exact block weights in block info dumps, or this very handy web site?:): https://danny-alexander.github.io/terratech-block-list/block-list.html

Guns are fairly heavy compared to regular blocks of the same volume (e.g. GSO 1-block vs 3 pound cannon). And I was surprised by how light armour plates actually are (fairly proportional to their block dimensions).

It's mostly unused because armour is useless compared to shields, with little protection utility.

Have you been checking out the exact block weights in block info dumps, or this very handy web site?:): https://danny-alexander.github.io/terratech-block-list/block-list.html

Guns are fairly heavy compared to regular blocks of the same volume (e.g. GSO 1-block vs 3 pound cannon). And I was surprised by how light armour plates actually are (fairly proportional to their block dimensions).

It's mostly unused because armour is useless compared to shields, with little protection utility.
Thanks. I'll look it up. I was just bvasing it on how many guns i can put on, with how well it performs.
I reckon we have too many gund, and not enough tech. This is my first attempt to think about changing it, maybe.

Seth_Seth

A hecking train wreck
Website
sites.google.com
Hi, i'm here now instead of the custom blocks thread

Generally i see most of the stuff people spam onto the Workshop more or less poor quality stuff

B
last radius is cool. But if armour cannot stop it, then it makes armour useless.
Got batteries? Got armour over them?
So what? 3poind cannons and mortars go right through.
Don't ask about missiles or megatons.

Seth_Seth

A hecking train wreck
Website
sites.google.com
B

last radius is cool. But if armour cannot stop it, then it makes armour useless.
Got batteries? Got armour over them?
So what? 3poind cannons and mortars go right through.
Don't ask about missiles or megatons.
Generally most end-game explosive weapons have blast radiuses that can pierce shields, the Cruise Missile is considered OP for being a missile that can usually hit the enemy with pinpoint accuracy and has the end-game level of explosion and damage, sure it has the slow reload but you can just spam the things and nuke everything before the enemies can hit the fragile nuke missile launchers

Hi, i'm here now instead of the custom blocks thread

Generally i see most of the stuff people spam onto the Workshop more or less poor quality stuff
there's all sorts.
but it's easy to spot the ones that just look cool, vs ones that are meant to be functional.
One clue is: vast banks of the same weapons.
And that's the problem.
real guns have ammo. that's why tanks don have four cannons.
real guns are heavy.

in this game, none of that applies. ok. fine.

but guns do double duty. They shoot. cool. AND also are tougher than blocks. So why use blocks?
I think there should be a bit of rebalance to reduce the gun/block ratio.
MAybe make guns more fragile. and maybe heavier?
that way, they don't get used as armour, and you want less of them.

it would be great if we could make mode like that 'make this class of blocks weaker' and load the mod to try it out.
Then we could post vids, and say 'played this mode for a week, it's great/terrible!'

eddie

Forever thonk, dis is ma philosophy
there's all sorts.
but it's easy to spot the ones that just look cool, vs ones that are meant to be functional.
One clue is: vast banks of the same weapons.
And that's the problem.
real guns have ammo. that's why tanks don have four cannons.
real guns are heavy.

in this game, none of that applies. ok. fine.

but guns do double duty. They shoot. cool. AND also are tougher than blocks. So why use blocks?
I think there should be a bit of rebalance to reduce the gun/block ratio.
MAybe make guns more fragile. and maybe heavier?
that way, they don't get used as armour, and you want less of them.
it would be great if we could make mode like that 'make this class of blocks weaker' and load the mod to try it out.
Then we could post vids, and say 'played this mode for a week, it's great/terrible!'
Well, weapons in real life are more powerful than you think, and passive defense such as armor in real life are pretty useless by itself, because is easier to design weapons that can defeat armor than design armor that able to defend against most weapons, for example, the heaviest battleship can be easily sunk by planes if it don't have anti-air, so in real life, the strategy against powerful weapons is not base on armor but not getting hit.
But one thing that I do agree is blast should not pass through armor at all or at least be weakened when pass through armor.