I really do not know why devs are not listening to the complaints on hovers

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Nightblade Greyswandir, May 11, 2018.

1. Nightblade Greyswandir

Nightblade Greyswandir Nothing is good enough!

Hovers are absolutely useless outside of R&D.

If you want them useful in campaign, make them STRONGER so they can actually life our tech without spamming 5 layers of hovers just to hold few weapons in the air.

If you want them useful in campaign, make them more robust when they hover over trees. Make them NOT-REACTING on trees and rocks. And less responsive on small hills.

If you want them useful in campaign, make them LESS SENSITIVE to disbalance, as only few players can balance them as they are now. And they slide away if not balanced and you have too many production blocks that are not mirrored, so bases can't be made on hovers.

Wea re complaining for year now and asking for improvemnt on this and devs are saying it will damage balance of game... I mean WHAT BALANCE OF GAME if they are absolutely useless outside of R&D???

2. Soviet_Samuelson

Soviet_Samuelson Living in my pizza boxes because mom kicked me out

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

3. ZenithEevee

ZenithEevee Procrastinator of the New World Order

Problem: In order for this to relatively work, They'd have to code in a more advanced hover-map that takes a wide scope, Evens it out, Then works the hovers relative to that.

And, Because all hovers except for the GEO and/or Fortress hovers tend to lay closer to the ground, Doing this would mean having the hovers at a broad, obtuse angle of detection.

The Hovermap would also have to be coded in, Which i dont claim to know how to do, But would take a long time to implement.

Down to it, Hovers are problematic by design, and without a specific Hovermap, They wont be able to work all that well with the generation of the map.

Zed, Gameslinx and Soviet_Samuelson like this.
  4. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

At least I heard hovers are getting buffed in the next update, with the Powerlifter and Flying Fortress hovers getting a more significant buff.

harpo99999 and Soviet_Samuelson like this.
  5. Captain Load

Captain Load Well-Known Member

I think the hover and flight models should be combined and refined. I could drive a hovercraft using the aircraft control scheme but I almost can't get a plane off the ground. The planes really need up-throttle and down-throttle buttons, and the thrust level should stay constant when you're not adjusting it. On hovercrafts I could see you even being able to go into reverse thrust. Also, if it were possible the "ground effect" for hovers should stop when they reach a certain height above terrain and features. At that point their really anti-gravity vehicles.

#5 Captain Load, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  6. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

How? Hovercraft use the ground controls. Either you are driving a hovercraft with ground controls, flying a tech with air controls, or flying a hoverbug tech with ground controls. There is no way to drive a hovercraft with air controls.

Soviet_Samuelson likes this.
  7. Lord Zarnox

The simple (relatively speaking) solution is to have the thrust inversely proportional to the distance between the plate and the ground (or tree/wheel/resource/etc.). This would both help to stabilise a hover tech more gently, as well as making them not go straight from full thrust to no thrust when they go above their max height.
    All that should be needed, calculation wise, is to measure the distance between the hover and the trigger, convert that to a percentage of the max hover height, and simply multiply the max thrust by 1 - x% (where x% is the aforementioned percentage, expressed as a floating point number) to obtain the thrust output. You would probably need to up the max thrust, and maybe also the max hover height a fair bit, in order to make them maintain their height more easily after the change.
    Of course, this wouldn't apply the the Venture Zero-G Hoverplate as that one states it can't be turned off, so we can instead interpret that as meaning it can't be throttled.
    @Django Do you think this could be worked into the code for the hovers by any chance?

#7 Lord Zarnox, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    layer1 and Soviet_Samuelson like this.
  8. rdoom2003

rdoom2003 乚乇卂刀乇尺 口下 卄乇乚工口丂

Repeating your point doesn't make it correct.

Hovers aren't useless they are just rather hard to use on large vehicles without covering up the whole bottom of the tech with hovers. for light tech such as a scout they can be rather useful. If you can get them balanced. I hope to at least see a power increase in the hovers.

9. Lord Zarnox

Unfortunately, when it comes to hovers, "large" doesn't seem to be very big... Simple example: Try using as few of the GSO Terraphobe Hoverplates as possible, on a very small tech (at most 7 blocks in any direction), and see how high it can hover. For a level 5 block, it is quite underwhelming.

Captain Load likes this.
  10. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

Probably the simplest and easiest way to modify hovers to positive effect would be to have them ignore trees / rocks / resource outcrops entirely, which would provide simpler and more easily-anticipated reaction to the base terrain.

For my part, blended "hybrid" hover aircraft work fairly well when designed, sometimes the easiest way is to make them slightly front heavy to provide natural forward propulsion and using reverse thrusters for "jake braking"

11. rdoom2003

rdoom2003 乚乇卂刀乇尺 口下 卄乇乚工口丂

I can agree with that some higher/stronger hovers would be nice.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  12. Deutsche Würfel

Deutsche Würfel I look good in this dress.

They work fine for me. I just don't use them, because being above the terrain makes you vulnerable.

13. HyperXNova20

HyperXNova20 Well-Known Member

hovers are shit that is true, since they constantly bounce you around. that much is true. but airship techs work nicely.

14. JimmyBlether

JimmyBlether SFS SUPREME COMMANDER

YES!

ADD AUTO BALANCE ALREADY!!!!!
    Please.

15. Nightblade Greyswandir

After 100+ hours of trying to make campaign main tech with production on it on hover plates I say that it can't be done. Even if you make 64x64 tech it will have problems with hills and trees and rocks.
    And you can't do it either.
    Repeating is not there to make it true, but hours invested to make it work make it true. Your comment is taken as insult. But because I am nice person I will not answer with insults.
    Can you post some hover tech that you can use in campaign out of salt flats in mid and late game? if it work for you I would really like to see how you build.

16. BenBacon

BenBacon Founder Of Bacon, Inc

I completely agree

Hovers like the GSO Terraphobe hover are completely useless because they literally lift you one block off the ground.
    And about ignoring trees and rocks, that would be great along with ignoring techs as well
    They don't only slip around when unbalanced, but they slip around if you move the tech at all

This has been suggested before, but some form of a brake would make hover techs useful

Lord Zarnox and JimmyBlether like this.
  17. WhitePaw2002

WhitePaw2002 Modding Husky

I think that allowing some hovers react on techs and trees would be good. Especially if they aren't going to be supporting a tech high off the ground.

For the big GSO hovers, I recommended that the 4 pads were on some kind of joint to allow for angling them. For example, always trying to face towards gravity so that it doesn't push against slopes, or facing against the tech's velocity to slow it down and keep it in place.

Maybe I should try to script that...

18. Icarus_The_King_Of_Angels

Icarus_The_King_Of_Angels S H I N Y Mad Scientist

Changes to hovers might break the hover bug!

19. JimmyBlether

JimmyBlether SFS SUPREME COMMANDER

It might, but it could auto-stabilise without gyros.

20. Nightblade Greyswandir

There is always a solution that devs make new "hover" for sole purpose of hoverbug by copy code of existing ones to new one, and edit all existing to be functional hovers without hoverbug effect.

Lord Zarnox and JimmyBlether like this.