I found this image that fits the Duck Republic

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
There used to be lakes on the salt flats. (I hope I didn't fail my research again... Last time I said sailing stones can form on salt flats, and I was told that was wrong)
Yep, but I think they are often periodic. They are really shallow lakes part of the year, and they are dry for the rest.

For example, according to wikipedia, the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah are an inch deep lake during the winter.

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
May 31, 2017
Australia
Yep, but I think they are often periodic. They are really shallow lakes part of the year, and they are dry for the rest.
Also, just for fun, because altitude is measured relative to sea level, that raises the question of why you can easily find grasslands and deserts "under the sea"...
Wait... Does that mean the sea is up?

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
Also, just for fun, because altitude is measured relative to sea level, that raises the question of why you can easily find grasslands and deserts "under the sea"...
Wait... Does that mean the sea is up?
1. Those are just divots in the surface of the Earth. The land around them is set in a way that prevents water from going in, or the climate keeps drying it out, or both. A desert is under sea level in the same way that the bottom of a lake could be under sea level. There just isn't any water for whatever reason.

2. Sea level is complicated. What sea level is depends on where you are. Sea level would be higher for a mountain than it would be for a desert.

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
May 31, 2017
Australia
2. Sea level is complicated. What sea level is depends on where you are. Sea level would be higher for a mountain than it would be for a desert.
As useful as that is, I think you are forgetting something. TerraTech isn't set on Earth, and the planet it is set on is in fact, flat.

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
As useful as that is, I think you are forgetting something. TerraTech isn't set on Earth, and the planet it is set on is in fact, flat.
Oh, right, we are talking about Terratech....

Though, I suppose that the technical side of things could be different from the narrative side. Sure, in practice, the planet is flat, but this is a game about people traveling to exoplanets to gather resources. IRL, flat planets are impossible. Heck, different biomes would probably be impossible without there being rivers and oceans and such, because the climates of the biomes wouldn't be possible without them. Yet, there aren't any.

Reactions: Lord Zarnox