How To Become A Canary

StyxAnnihilator

Dec 1, 2015
Norway, Oslo.
Differences in OS and patches (and overall other applications), difference in HW and drivers (and electricity), difference in game version and languages (and install/running), difference in use ... All of this can create issues, where some only occur through certain combinations, maybe I have forgotten some even.

Sometimes being able to record the issue could be very helpful, if difficult to reproduce and happens over time.

Not sure if I want to become a Canary, if asked ... Probably felt the responsibility by playing and testing more, done some recordings too, along adding info to the bug list.

Adriano

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
May 16, 2016
I'd use that, but I don't have my OWN bugs. I can only help with the others' bugs, because I got a glithcless copy of the game (just having luck).
It's very unlikely that you would not get any bugs. The game is still in development. They're everywhere. There's no such thing as a glitchless copy. Whilst there is some variation between Mac, Windows and Linux, everyone is getting the same thing when they download the game. Also, whilst you might think it is helpful to suggest ways to fix the game, it probably isn't the best use of your time. Our programmers know the code, our designers know how the game should work, and the artists know how it should look. They're in the best position to figure out the best solutions to fix issues. What they need from you and the rest of the community is to know what the issues are, so they can fix them and improve the overall quality of game.

In order to find bugs, the best way is to do a lot of random stupid stuff. That is where the bugs lie. Test some limits.
Honestly, this is a great shout from Baconus. You guys aren't getting paid to test the game, so it wouldn't be right for me to give you total guidance on how/where to test. But when all else fails, doing random stupid stuff often leads to discovering issues in the game. Don't do what the game tells you, try something else. If Crafty Mike tells you to place a block somewhere, run off with it instead. If a mission tells you to protect a tech, try to destroy it. It might sound stupid, but on previous projects when we've got close to release, and the test team ask me what they need to test at that point, usually I would say "try and break the game". Do what's unexpected, the bugs will reveal themselves :)

The Grand Teki

Feb 17, 2017
UESO hq.
It's very unlikely that you would not get any bugs. The game is still in development. They're everywhere. There's no such thing as a glitchless copy. Whilst there is some variation between Mac, Windows and Linux, everyone is getting the same thing when they download the game. Also, whilst you might think it is helpful to suggest ways to fix the game, it probably isn't the best use of your time. Our programmers know the code, our designers know how the game should work, and the artists know how it should look. They're in the best position to figure out the best solutions to fix issues. What they need from you and the rest of the community is to know what the issues are, so they can fix them and improve the overall quality of game.
I mean that I don't get serious bugs (bug I don't report: HUD stuttering and other obvious ones...) like I can't anchor something or save & exit properly.
Honestly, this is a great shout from Baconus. You guys aren't getting paid to test the game, so it wouldn't be right for me to give you total guidance on how/where to test. But when all else fails, doing random stupid stuff often leads to discovering issues in the game. Don't do what the game tells you, try something else. If Crafty Mike tells you to place a block somewhere, run off with it instead. If a mission tells you to protect a tech, try to destroy it. It might sound stupid, but on previous projects when we've got close to release, and the test team ask me what they need to test at that point, usually I would say "try and break the game". Do what's unexpected, the bugs will reveal themselves :)
I'll try to do that when I have time and report if I discover something.

Gameslinx

Oct 19, 2015
A cab, stranded in deep space
I mean that I don't get serious bugs (bug I don't report: HUD stuttering and other obvious ones...) like I can't anchor something or save & exit properly.

I'll try to do that when I have time and report if I discover something.
When the next unstable comes out, jump on it and do out-of-ordinary things - what a QA tester such as the magnificent Ade won't think to do (no offence ade!)

And be sure to provide top notch steps to replicate the bugs - it will speed up the process immensely! Good luck finding your bugs, have a nice day :)

Reactions: Adriano

Adriano

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
May 16, 2016
like I can't anchor something or save & exit properly.
Are you saying these are issues you've had? Because the second one would definitely be an issue worth reporting. And tbh we do want to know about all issues you guys find. If they're minor, we might not fix them immediately, but we will try and fix them eventually ;)

what a QA tester such as the magnificent Ade won't think to do (no offence ade!)
No offence taken. As magnificent as I am, I can't think of everything ;)

Reactions: Gameslinx

Adriano

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
May 16, 2016
Like copy-pasting the script of Paul Blart into the seed box. You have to go crazy (in game).
I still chuckle at this ;) But it's the right idea. Outside the box thinking, doing the unexpected. There are obviously certain things to check when testing certain types of content, but eventually all forms of testing will come to this type of thing, especially towards the end of development.

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
Like copy-pasting the script of Paul Blart into the seed box. You have to go crazy (in game).
I still chuckle at this ;) But it's the right idea. Outside the box thinking, doing the unexpected. There are obviously certain things to check when testing certain types of content, but eventually all forms of testing will come to this type of thing, especially towards the end of development.
If this is still an issue limiting the seed input to 16 / 32 / 64 characters would be the recommendation I would offer; anything longer would merely be truncated to the first 16 / 32 / 64 characters of the value entered.

Reactions: harpo99999

Dellamorte

Feb 10, 2015
Cairns, Australia
If this is still an issue limiting the seed input to 16 / 32 / 64 characters would be the recommendation I would offer; anything longer would merely be truncated to the first 16 / 32 / 64 characters of the value entered.
Also, whilst you might think it is helpful to suggest ways to fix the game, it probably isn't the best use of your time. Our programmers know the code, our designers know how the game should work, and the artists know how it should look. They're in the best position to figure out the best solutions to fix issues. What they need from you and the rest of the community is to know what the issues are, so they can fix them and improve the overall quality of game.
Well ...

Reactions: Adriano

i prefer milk

Apr 20, 2017
ello, i am a huge follower of this game and addition, my name is nathan i am a nerd you could say, games are a big part of my life and i would like to contribute, i will say more about myself just not right now, i know this is random, you don't probably even trust me, but i am very interested to see how multiplayer is going. I would like to know if there is a way to apply to being part of the team that tests the multiplayer version of the game via steam keys, if so i will actually start a youtube series with my friend, as most of the videos we make are co-op, and i wanted to make a series, but thought it would be too bland for my channel. I am an active bug reporter for most games, i really think i could be of some assistance. I can connect on discord and steam to chat whenever, except when i am in school, but im a good person so i dont have homework. please let me know your descision, it would really help

Last edited:

Dellamorte

Feb 10, 2015
Cairns, Australia
ello, i am a huge follower of this game and addition, my name is nathan i am a nerd you could say, games are a big part of my life and i would like to contribute, i will say more about myself just not right now, i know this is random, you don't probably even trust me, but i am very interested to see how multiplayer is going. I would like to know if there is a way to apply to being part of the team that tests the multiplayer version of the game via steam keys, if so i will actually start a youtube series with my friend, as most of the videos we make are co-op, and i wanted to make a series, but thought it would be too bland for my channel. I am an active bug reporter, i really think i could be of some assistance. I can connect on discord and steam to chat whenever, except when i am in school, but im a good person so i dont have homework. please let me know your descision, it would really help
It is not that easy to join sorry to say mate, I am not a dev but I would be surprised to see you get it from a post just asking to join. The first post in this thread lest you know how they are chosen.

We’re going to be keeping an eye out for people who post bug reports on our official forums. Please bear in mind that we’re looking for people who have a high standard in their bug reporting. We need people who can report a bug clearly and concisely, know the right kind of information they need to include in a report, and can work with others to help track down ways to reproduce some of the more troublesome bugs.
This is the normal way to get chosen so this might be your best way to go if you are keen :) .

i prefer milk

Apr 20, 2017
Hi @i prefer nilk , as @Dellamorte says you need to start posting bug reports on our forums so we can assess the quality of your reports before we can consider making you a Canary. This post gives a quick guide on our expectations for bug reports.

http://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?threads/bug-reporting-a-quick-guide.8894/

Good luck!
how do i report a bug if im not in the testing branch?? oh no i misspelled my name, i cnt change my username. And by the way, Thanks for crushing my life!

Last edited:

Gameslinx

Oct 19, 2015
A cab, stranded in deep space
how do i report a bug if im not in the testing branch?? oh no i misspelled my name, i cnt change my username. And by the way, Thanks for crushing my life!
To change your name, send Jamie or Saiwun a private message on the forums (the envelope in the top right on the forum).

To report bugs about the game, submit them in the Bugs section on the forum. Or, if you are using the Terratech unstable build, post your bugs in TT Unstable.

Make sure you keep your thread short and concise, yet packing as much information into it as possible with detailed, easy to understand steps to reproduce the bug
Best of luck!
- Gameslinx

Reactions: Adriano and Exund

Sai Wun

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Aug 13, 2014
Have corrected the spelling of your name. You need to switch to the testing branch to become a Canary.

Reactions: Zargn

GamerParrish

Aug 14, 2016
In a Tank Tinkering
Guys stop complaining about not having bugs, develepors look for help on fourms! Kindness towards others! If you post 1000 bugs but are rude to others, they wont ever pick you. So stop whining and get posting! :p

Reactions: Jamie